Working at Price Chopper — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Price Chopper pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Price Chopper

From Torrington, CT — 08/07/2010

I worked for Price Chopper for six years while in college and while trying to figure out what to do after college! I started in the bakery, was moved to the bagel factory, then to produce for a full time opening and finally over to the seafood department to be the assistant manager. If you wanted something there all you had to do was work for it and prove yourself worthy. I loved the people there, they were like family and took care of each other. I was happy to work 50+ hours a week because even if I wasn't working all of my friends were guaranteed to be. Everyone in that tiny town worked there. It was like getting paid to hang out with good friends, while you cut up fish, bagels or watermelons. If you don't fit it in there...well, I'd say that's your fault.

From Spencer, MA — 02/10/2010

I was at PC for about 3 years... Started when I was in High School, ended in college... What a fun job! I honestly had a blast working for PC... (im a social butterfly) I worked Front End, and most of the afternoon employees were HS age... So making friends with them wasn't difficult. Pay was that of what you'd expect for a PT job... Advancement was awesome... Started as a cashier, worked my way up to FE Supervisor, and Orientation trainer... Can't really comment on benefits, since I was PT, and didnt qualify.. I did enjoy the "vacation savings program" and " credit union". Got a loan through the credit union, and they just payroll deduct your payments.. How convenient!! Management was easy going, for the most part... Overall just a FUN company to work for.. An opportunity to make friends, and money... Customers were always regulars!

From ny — 01/21/2010

Pay is good, you get what you earn, you have to take opportunity to advance when they come your way. Not happy with pay then your not open enough to gain higher paying jobs.
your there to work not make friends, so the quicker you get that the better your balance will be with life and work. You want respect don't disrespect, that simple. Take initiative and your work place won't be messy your customers will be happy and the end of your shift comes quicker.

From NY — 11/06/2009

This review is NOT for part-timers. This is for Dept Managers and up within the store.

The Good: Pay is great, excellent benefits, and some incredible people to work with from ALL walks of life. I have to say Price Chopper takes care of winners and cuts the fat out quickly. Also the diversity of the people in management is great- I've worked with former nurses, politicians, rich landlords (who only work for the benefits), turned-around ex convicts, military, and many former small business owners who fell on hard times and now run a department with their extensive experience. It's the people within your store that will determine whether or not you will be happy and you will spend more time with them than your family.

The Bad: Stress levels are almost beyond livable levels, every day you will fight fires. Although your employees respect you, customers do not. Even though you make over 50k and help manage a store that does about 700K/week in sales, some customers will treat you with complete disregard as a valuable member of society. That is the nature of all retail.

General:
The environment differs from store to store, but what always remains the same are long hours with limited paid overtime. No matter what anyone says you will work off the clock because you, and your co-workers, care about the quality of the store. I cannot begin to tell you how often I jumped behind the seafood or deli counters to help during a customer rush after my shift was done. This isn't necessarily a terrible thing, you develop deep (friend) relationships and earn respect.

As a dept manager you are subject to be moved to another store without much notice, which can be an issue. Also the company has no problem "asking" you to send staff to another store to help with a project and they almost always make your dept pay for it. This robs you of valuable payroll $$. You will always be asked to save payroll dollars if sales are down, which frankly is dumb... most part-timers make $8 an hour and do tasks that make hundreds in sales. You need sales to save you when your not meeting budget, get creative. :)

So long as you do your job, you'll be mostly left alone. Outshine other managers in the area and you will be nicely rewarded. Fail meeting sales/budget and your butt will be out the door fast.

I recommend if offered a position you take it, they are a good company to work for and there are tremendous opportunities for growth. Remember that everyone buys groceries, there's a ton of money in it and food is recession proof. The crap you deal with will be present in any high traffic retail environment. Some days are great, some days you'll run to the bottle.

The high-ups are actually very nice. The Golubs are pretty cool too.

From CT — 12/25/2008

Pay: Well, at first I started at like 7.40/hr. Been there 2 years now and I make 9.00/hr. Also can't complain that Sundays are time and half which equals the number of hours you work that day times (for me) $13.50.

Respect: I mean I never really got into any big conflits with any of the managers there. I will say though that their mood swings DID show and I was concerned because most of these managers are people that will stay up until 2am when they have to be in at like 7am, and they'll come into work with a hangover.

Benefits: I'm part time mainly on the weekends so I really couldn't care less.

Job security: Actually not that bad. You have to do something BEYOND stupid to get yourself fired for the most part (that is if you're a cashier). I will say that I noticed that the supervisors have more to worry about.

Work/Life balance: This is a -2, because they've never scheduled me for a crazy shift without me understanding why. But a few weeks ago was the first time ever I called out sick and the manager/supervisor sounded so frustrated about it. How ironic considering what I mentioned under "respect."

Career growth: This is what's bad. Really, you're going nowhere up on the career ladder here. The people that get promoted are the closest friends of the supervisors.

Location: 5 minutes from my house....using backroads. No ccmplaints whatsoever.

Co-worker competence: I'll definitely say that the people I worked with at the front end for the most part are hard workers, even if their personal lives sounded very questionable. I at least got along I think with mostly everyone at the front end. I guess hard work w/ this co. pays off with competence eh?

Work environment: It's typical retail. Fast-paced. Some nice customers. Others that after the first time, god forbid you ever have to deal with them ever again. The managers are the managers I just let them do their own thing. And...that sums it up.

I took this job 2 years ago. I was a senior in high school at the time. It was a a first good job to develop customer service skills and how to deal with people and getting some sort of reward (money) out of it. Soon enough I'm going to try and find another job simply to find something more relevant to my career. I don't think any sort of retail job would be a good full-time career for the next 20 years of your life. And that's what I have to say about Price Chopper. It was quite an experience. And I'm going to start seeing where life will take me next.