Working at Pilot Travel Center — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Pilot Travel Center pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Pilot Travel Center

From Lake havasu city AZ — 02/10/2010

I love all the people that I work with my managers are really accepting to different kinds of lifestyles(I have tons of tattoos) I get treated fairly well,and I am able to take a 30 minute break with no interruptions. Although I have gained alot of experience from working here, I am able to say that even though I do get alright hours most of the time and I am happy to have a job.There are some cons to the job,I am unable to make plans ahead of time for my personal time, and I have no real assurance of having a day off. The only way to make the money you deserve is to work way to much. I have no count on how many turn overs I have done to get that extra fun money that I never spend because I am working. Even thought Im only scheduled 32 hours a week, It seems like more because of the weird hours and different weeks everyday. I am thankful to my managers who work ten times harder and are expected more then I am. Although I love the experience I would take a harder job with a reliable schedule in a heart beat. It is always different in other stores, in other words if the managers love you, you will always get a decent schedule. It all depends on your co workers and the main big boss man ( store director)!

From ocala, fl — 10/29/2009

to the guy below me. I DO my job right! and my personality is fine! i have customers always ask about me and even go out of their way to talk to the managers and let them know how helpful i am. When you start working here then you can start actually see where im coming from. You're right. Truck drivers will be truck drivers and some CAN be A holes. But that's not the point. They pay nothing! If they start out at a flat rate for EVERYONE. Even employees that are hired to be managers must start off as employees first. At $8. remember they are hired TO BE. They are not managers yet. I've already pushed for a better raise. They bought out flying J and everyone is taking a pay cut this year. That is it. Final. You can discuss it all you want. Don't like it....Go somewhere else, that's what they say. You can have the best personality in the world. There are still people that will treat you with NO respect because you are a lowly cashier. How would i know? I tried it. Wore my managers name tag one night because i forgot my own. I even had a customer throw his money on the counter at me. Then glanced at my name tag and picked it right back up and placed it in my hand. Even though i wasn't 'really' the manager. He didn't know. My actual manager was literally shocked. So that is my experience. I have no problem with the company except for the pay and their obsession with sugar and making it their life goal to make sure every customer by the end of the year has some form of diabetes with as many bogo sales they have for candy that they ridiculously push. And the customers. All in all. The company is not bad.

From ocala, fl — 10/14/2009

I've been at this job for nearly two years and my raise was only .16 cents. I was started out at $8 then moved to $8.24 and then recently $8.40. The hours are terrible. I do not receive enough hours to not only have health insurance but to pay for anything! and they thought 7hours a week was fine?? like are you bloody kidding me! The work enviorment is fine. Clean air, you receive your breaks and meals, however sometimes all within your last hour of working. The co-workers are the best. i love all of my fellow employees and two managers. Job security is a negative 5 bc they are threating to fire me if i don't take the flu shot that they are offering for free. Basically if i refuse the shot but catch the flu im fired. Whatever happened to rights. Its my body and if i dont want that it my body its my right! The benefits suck cuz you don't get paid enough money or enough hours to even have benefits but they do offer i believe dental, and vision, and health. They pay isn't bad but it could be better esp for someone that will come in whenever they need them. If your overnight called out and you need me at two in the morning im there! but that's not appreciated due to my raise, i know the economy is tough but i don't want to here that when the GM's and managers are getting their bonus! The location is 7-10min from my house and is pretty decent for the other employees as well. The only real negative thing besides the pay is the respect! Be expected to be spoken down to like you're a piece of crap on the bottom of someone's shoe. The truck drivers are some of the worse customers i have EVER dealt with. Not to mention the regular customers who CONSTANTLY complain about the pumps not working and act like they have never pre paid for gas before. Some customers spit, smell awful (and dont u dare refuse them service) and are rude and always talk negative about how you look. IF they think you are unatrractive, or have bags under your eyes...don't worry they'll be sure to let you know. Working maintance has its cons too. When i did, i had a woman wipe her blood from her menses all over the wall in the shower. Awful! I don't work many hours so my work/life balance is fine. Job security....i've been there for nearly two years. but anything is possible with the economy like this. So far no one's offered me anything for career growth, but i haven't asked. Im looking to pursue a career in the health field and im already certified. All in all. The job isn't a bad job. I enjoy working with my GM and store director very much the other managers are tolerable. There are only two i really enjoy to work with and the fellow employees...we all try to motivate and help each other. That's what team work is for! I shoule be more grateful. They have helped me out a lot with my schedule and school. Can't deny that. Corporate people havwe always been nice and pleasant to me as well. Not that bad of a job, would be better if the customers were not so RUDE!

From glendale.KY — 09/10/2009

I like this job becuase its close to my home so i dont have to worry about being late. Coworkers and GM's are decent. Its fairly easy work and costumers are fairly easy to handle. The main issue I have is pay/hours. i would definately move over to a new job that would be willing to pay more. My training was horrible ive had 1 person tell me one way to do things and then another tell me i was doing something wrong. Environment needs to be a little more relaxed when it comes to less important things. Theres no reason you cant have alittle fun on the job. AS far as i can tell the truckers enjoy a little laughter when coming in anyways. I like to be able to laugh with them over something silly.

From Covington, Indiana — 01/17/2009

I am a driver. I think it's a good job with good equipment. Decent pay. I like it but it's hard to have a life and work there also but all the people in the store are nice and friendly and treat me with respect. I would recommend it to anybody and it's one of the best jobs I've had.

From Castaic, California — 12/01/2008

The worst part is my pay. I work on the resteraunt side and I make 8.65 for being a supercior. It's ridiculous, especially when the min. wage here is 8 dollars! I mean my brother who works on the gas station side makes more than me and he is just a cashier. My bosses are really nice but most of my co-workers are pretty douchy.

From Amarillo TX — 04/12/2008

I have worked for this company for 5 years and I have been very happy there. Yeah the Drivers are no fun sometimes but you have to remember they have spent alot of time on the road and they are looking for friendly faces and a clean store. If you are not happy with your job you won't be happy on your job.