Work at petsmart — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about petsmart pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at petsmart

From Tampa, Fl — 07/27/2009

I've worked with Petsmart for over 3 years. I have been at 3 different stores so far because I have moved around a lot. Management really makes a big difference, if you are stuck with a bad management team- you are going to hate working here. But if it is a good one, you will love it. I have had my share of bad and good managers and have pretty much just pushed through. After 3 years, I still haven't gotten over a dollar raise total from what I've started. You only get 15 cent raises at the first 3 months, 6 months and then just 25 cents once a year after that. I worked in petcare, and the work is rediculously repetitive, and its a lot of hands-on work. Customers can be irratating, and even ignorant at times. I don't mind working here through high school and college, but its too much of a pain to ever think about continuing. Managers have absolutely no job security. You're safer as an associate. I've had 7 different store managers since I started, all getting fired for different reasons about every 6 months or so!

From westlake, california — 05/01/2009

The pay is not the best, but it is better than most people my age are making. I have never met such a sincere group of people, except for our "big" managers. but that is a whole other story. i think it is great

From wilkes-barre, Pa — 12/31/2008

Pay was great as a salon mgr. We had stipends and bonuses and the way the corp made it happen was ingenious. All depts were tied together for the quarterly bonuses and this encouraged everyone in the store to work together.
With the store managers I had the respect was teriffic. My opinions and suggestions were welcomed and were given respect and consideration. I was allowed to run my salon the way I saw fit as long as I followed the safety rules. It was like having my own business but without all the headaches. The more I put into it, the more I got out of it.
Benefits are very good but I seldom used them.
Job security was good as long as I did my job. Never felt threatened by that.
I made the schedule and I could accommodate everyone as best as possible. Due to my flexibility, if I needed some coverage, they were all willing step up and help. I had a wonderful team in the salon and a wonderful store manager.
I could have gone on to manage in the retail part of the store if I so desired but my love is grooming and I loved managing in there.
Location was good but my fault I lived so far away. Long ride on back roads in alot of bad weather.
The other associates were knowledgeable and dedicated to animal welfare. This was my family away from my family as we all had the same goals.
The environment was wonderful. The store was always well stocked, the morale was great, the animals were very well cared for, we did alot of work with the SPCA and alot of free grooms to help adoptions, all in all, it was a great place to work.
I have moved away and I miss PetSmart with all my heart. They demand alot but take care of you. From what I understand, the new store manager has destroyed morale and this is not a nice place to be anymore. I am sad about that because this was a great group that cared and worked closely together.
So to sum it all up- PetSmart is a good company but any job is only as good as the managers in charge.

From CT — 12/15/2008

I'm reading some really HORRID things about PetSmart on here and I don't understand why- here's my take on it.

Pay: The pay is decent- it could be better but it also depends on your hiring or store manager, where you live, and your position in the store. They gave me what I asked for from them and NOBODY gets paid minimum wage.

Respect: I couldn't really get more respect in a job than I get here- I have a store, operations, and 4 department managers and all of them are open, listen to what you have to say about anything, and are pretty much always on your side in every situation.

Benefits: I'm not full time yet, so I'm unsure of benefits and how they really are compared to what I was told at hiring.

Job Security: Simple. If you do your job, they aren't going to fire you. Someone has been laid off recently but that was because for a couple weeks in a row we were catching money loss on her register. Hours are kinda fussy, though, because it is retail so they only have a certain number of hours to hand out to each department so if there's several people working in one department, you're all going to have about 20 or so hours a week- generally they don't give less hours than that, though, unless if you request the time off or can't work that much.

Work/Life Balance: Wonderful. They go around life schedules exTREMELY well and do their best to give you as many hours as possible around your schedule and so far not many problems from anybody at my store. Everyone kinda has the same amount of hours, though, 20-25ish a week, but everybody was told that they were hired at part time so you can't really complain. I even discussed with my manager if I can't work full time I'm cutting my availability for a second job and he said that if I do, I won't lose any hours at all.

Career Potential/Growth: The reason I discussed cutting availability as I mentioned in the above paragraph is because I was working Pet Care and transferred to the Salon because the pet care manager transfered an employee from a different store to work with her and the new associates. I told my store manager I didn't want to lose hours and the salon had open spots. Now that I've been in the Salon for 2 weeks only I went up to him this morning and asked about going to Petsmart's Grooming School to be an actual groomer, not just a bather, and my name is already on the list to go. I've also been cross trained for everything in the store, now, except a fork lift and that's because I haven't asked because I don't care. It's not something I'm going to need to do any time soon, especially if I'm staying in the Salon. Like I said about job security- if you do your job right, you won't lose it and if you do it well and not just right, you can move up.

Co-worker Competence: There are 3 or 4 people in my store that have a job because they need a job not because they care or want to be there and they kinda screw around a bit, don't get much done but it doesn't really screw up anything that needs to get done or make more work for other people.

Work Environment: I've never had a more enjoyable experience. Pretty much every single person I work with is happy and enjoys being there and all 6 of my managers are wonderful. Most of them transferred from other Petsmarts, two of them are brand new to the company, also. But they're very lax as long as you aren't messing things up, being rude to customers, not doing ANY work, etc. For example- a few days ago I had no dogs in the Salon, was working alone, and had already finished helping my coworker on the floor with taking care of the pets so I went up to the registers and I helped ring out even though there were only about 5 people in the store.

This job has been a wonderful experience for me and I plan on staying here for the next few years until I finish getting my college degrees. No job or company has ever been better. By the way- PETSMART CARES ABOUT ANIMALS! Corporate is ALL about the animals and then employees, and then the customers and money. They really are here to care, not just to be rich unlike other unnamed, popular pet stores about which I've had several people tell me horror stories.

From McAllen, TX — 09/04/2008

I am currently a dog trainer at PetSmart and have been for over 1 year now. I have read all the responses and have to say that I am quite happy at PetSmart. A lot of you that have "vented" are immature and have very bad grammar. I am 30 years old, have 2 college degrees and work full time at a college. I took the pet training gig becuase of my love for dogs.

One thing that I will say that is negative about PetSmart is that their training for dog trainers is horrible!! It was completely different than what I thought it would be like. Their training is basically just you observing the area trainer. You might as well read a book about dog training and you would be better off that way.

RESPECT: All the managers respect me. Never had a problem with them.
BENEFITS: Since I am part-time, the benefits don't affect me, but I do get frequent post cards in the mail encouraging me to take part in their benefits plan, even for part-timers.
JOB SECURITY: I feel 100% secure with my job. The store manager even told me before I got hired, that he would like for me to stay "a long while". Apparently their pervious turnouver ratio was bad and management was looking to hire a pet trainer for the long-term.
WORK/LIFE BALANCE: I love it! As a pet trainer, I get to make my own schedule. I clock in, teach class, and when class is over, I clock out.
CAREER POTENTIAL/GROWTH: I would say the potential for career growth is there, but mostly for the full-timers. The other pet trainer that I work with told me that he wanted to work full-time, but he did not want to because he would have been asked to restock shelves or work the cash register when he wasn't training. To me, that's just being lazy.
LOCATION: Excellent location. The PetSmart that I work at is 10 minutes either way from my house or my full-time job at the college.
CO-WORKER COMPETENCE: In this area, I would have to say that 99% of my co-workers are ignorant when it comes to the products that are in different areas of the store.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: My work environment is great! Almost half (40%) of the customers that I deal with are from Mexico and only speak spanish, so I love interacting with them as I also speak spanish.

From illinois — 08/26/2008

Pay: Each job has a pay grade and acording to it, I am right where I belong. I feel that although the company has researched the ammount of pay/position it is still lacking. I know of a handfull of retal locations that they have looved at when making their pay model and they pay much more. Like others,I have seen the company hire managers off the street and pay them more than seasoned employees. I even have the privelage of training these people as we are one of the training stores in the district. It is very demoralizing whenthe clueless person that you are training makes much more than you do.
Respect: This depends on the staff you work with. I have had wonderful district and regional managers and complete idiots as well. Respect is a 2 way street- if you view it as such there are little problems.
Benefits: Pretty good for the single employee, but I do not know what the outlook is like for the multi-family. I have had a good portion of my college paid for and have paid virtually nothing out of pocket for medical or vision... and my 401K is liiking quite nice at the moment.
Job security- Well, for someone who has been there 10+ years so I must say that it's pretty good. f you do your job, learn as much as you can about animal care, then there is absolutly no reason why your job would be in jeoporady.
Work/life balance: Everyone has a job to do. Some people's positions rquire early shifts, while others are drowning in paperwork the entire day. The freight needs to be done before the store is open and there needs to be customer service. It's simply the way retail works. I am always amazed at the people who complain about the AM shifts- especially since that is what they signed up for. We're always tired... even those of us who have to process the paperwork. that being said, the workers here do have a hard time balancing work/home life- especially with the weird hours and way too much to do.
Career potential/growth- The potential for women has gotten better in the last few years. In our didtrict we used to have the token female store director- now we have a whole 2 of them! 2 out of 27 stores is hardly an 'equality'. Still, if you're not looking to be a director, women are everywhere in the lower positions. I have sen many stockers and cashiers make it to store directors if male- women advance quickly inthe lower ranks.
Location- in Illinois we have a TON of locations centered around Chicago. The only problem I have with our locations is that many of our managers are shipped around to far locations when they have a location in their own town. I have known many employees who have had to drive over an hour to their hime store when one was right around the corner.
Co-worker compentence- If you haven't figured out by now that I have had to train many a clueless manager in my time. I know that it's just pure luck if you hire someone who can ackshually be able to do the job, BUT the company often misses out on the wealth of knowledge that their staff already has. The training modules need to be overhauled asthey are outdated and need to have some substance to them asthey are extremely remedial. Better training would make better employees and therefore more comprntent workers.
Work environment- Other than scheduling/hours issues, most things get repaired quickly. We have had a few ongoing issues with getting some of our inside structures repaired due to water leakage, but for the most part they're right on. The emotional environment depends on having theright staff and the right managers of the store.

From bolingbrook — 08/03/2008

i worked in a privite salon for 8 and a half years i eventually went to petsmart cause they have good benifit's, i see most you complaing about management,pay,hour's i personally work with good associate's and excellent management!!!!.i started off as a bather,stocker,register then went to academy for 28 day's now i am a groomer.usally the people who complain are the one's who are lazy or don't do their job that's all management expect's is do your job cause if it's not done they get in trouble,if your having trouble with someone that' what their open door policy is for or corporate's care line is for! you should try that before you slander a store or the company that actually care about animal's and people !

From Las Cruces, NM — 07/24/2008

Everyone seems to have disliked their experience with Petsmart. I'm writing this because I feel the complete opposite. I started out at $7.00 as a Pet Care Associate. After 5 months, I was promoted to lead at $8.75 an hour. Then after my one year review I was getting $9.00/hr. The managers have given me nothing but respect, and in fact ask me for my approval for anything that goes on in the pet care department. The DSM (District Service Manager) constantly talks to me and makes sure all the employees in pet care are getting the respect they deserve, and that the pet care manager is not cutting corners. After 14 months I was promoted to support manager at $11.25/hr. then two months after that I was given Pet Care manager at $14.25/hr. And now i'm being trained to take over as operations manager in El Paso, Tx. The benefits have been fantastic for me...my son was sick and on life support for two weeks, and all I had to pay was $500 (out of $5000 worth of bills). I never have to work more than 45 hours a week except around holidays, and occasionally during store resets. I love the people and employers, and hard work is awarded. I started at $7.00/hr, and now I'm about to take a job that will pay $45K a year.