Working at petsmart — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about petsmart pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at petsmart

From Louisiana — 09/12/2010

Pay: Well I receive my pay from commission, so I get paid well. Other people who work for Petsmart don't get paid enough, but in this economy, most jobs are underpaid. What makes employee pay bad is, great associates make the same as bad ones. My Petsmart has a hard time firing people so this can be a trying issue!
Benefits: are with United Health Care and are great! So is the 401k option and other benefits.
Job Security: I am not sure about all Petsmarts but the 2 I Have worked at seem to be scared to fire people because of discrimination or retaliation so they never fire people even those they should, so this can be a problem!
Career Potential/Growth: Unfortunately most management members stay in that position for a long time, however if an opening comes up they are fair in choosing. So for this reason I gave a higher score.
Co-Worker Competence: Well this is a big one and my only negative! Early I mentioned that Petsmart is reluctant to fire employees! Well there is a substantial hand full of people who need to be fired at the store I work at now and other stores where I have been and know people. Usually when you have pet lovers they are usually people who have a heart for animals in general and sometimes you have the extremist who are a little crazy. ( I know if you work with pets you know what I mean. Those who are a few crayons short in the crayon box) Well it seems Petsmart hires half of their staff as normal pet lovers and the other half are cookoo for a lack of a better word. Unfortunately you have to deal with these people everyday and hope they are off when you go to work. :(
Work Environment: I enjoy working at my Petsmart. I work in the Salon so the staff of about 10 or so has to work in close quarters and we all get along great! The rest of the store has its issues but they do not spill over to us!

All in all I would recommend Petsmart to groomers and responsible young people for college or for those who are married and just need a fun job to help with bills a little.

One last note just for grooming....ALWAYS ask you talk to your groomer when you bring your dog for grooming and find out if your groomer is experienced and ask all the questions you want! It is very important to get the right groomer. Also ask the other associates who they would recommend. Just because a groomer smiles and acts like they LOVE you and your dog...experience is always the most important thing!

From RI — 08/31/2010

Petsmart when I worked there was great. My co-workers were amazing. The pay isn't the greatest but it was just part-time to get me through my college degree. I loved being able to work with animals daily. Scrubbing hundreds of fish tanks really wears on you, but on a whole it was really an awesome working experience.

From Raleigh, NC — 08/12/2010

Worked as a pet care specialist. For a retail job, it wasn't so bad. Management was more annoying than anything. Even if your section is done at night, you'll be there an hour after closing waiting for a manager to give you permission to leave. Whatever you do, NEVER look like you have nothing to do. They HATE it. Don't stand around talking, don't lean on the counters or walls. If you need to look busy, stick your hand in a fish tank and clean it-- or look like you are. You stay busy during the holidays with kids wanting to hold hamsters that will bite them or wanting you to get them a specific budgie that will bite you, or a specific tetra fish in a swarm of hundreds. Kids will run around banging on fish tanks. It's your fault when a customer's hamster has died, even if they used the bedding you expressly told them not to use. But these are all general problems you'll face in any retail environment: problem customers. Overall, management was tolerable, my section manager was the coolest manager I'd ever had, the upper management was annoying as hell. Pay is what you'd expect in retail.
Don't work in Pet Care Specialty if you don't think you can handle scooping and counting crickets (dead and alive), administering medicine to sick, irritable hamsters, or handling reptiles, small animals (children included).
Would work there again, and have applied many times in my current city, but good luck getting past the endless application, and they WILL NEVER CALL YOU FIRST. YOU MUST CALL THEM if you hope to get a job. The first time I applied, I called back a week later, and was told to come in for an interview. I took the interview and was sent straight over to take a drug test the same day, then was training within a week. It hasn't been that easy at any other location I've tried-- have been turned down since.

From raleigh. nc — 03/31/2010

I have been with the company for 6 years. Like any other workplace it all depends on who you work with, how things are run. What I think a lot of people forget is each person helps "set the tone" of their work place. I have had some less then perfect experiences, but I worked at improving them through the proper chain of command. Sometimes it took awhile to change things for the better, but I have an awesome management team and awesome co-workers. Each and every person I work with at PetSmart truly cares about what they do and are there because they have a passion for it. I plan on being with the company until I retire. If you are not happy "so something about it" don't just whine and bring everyone else down with you.

From Chandler, AZ — 01/10/2010

I have worked with Petsmart for 2.5 years now. I am in college, and I transfer from my original store during school months. The Petsmart I started at is great. I can't complain at all. I started out in Pet Care, which I knew nothing about at the time. I definitely learned a lot over time, though. I also cashier and stock. Since I am in college, I am perfectly content with being an associate. I have no desire to move up higher in management or anything, so I wouldn't know what kinds of situations that brings up. The managers at my store are amazing. The Pet Care manager is extremely knowledgeable and is very good at his job. I can't complain about any of the managers, really.

The only thing I would like to see changed is the emphasis on fish care. I've been to stores that cram tons of fish in the tanks. We shouldn't even sell Pacu. But I'm a fish guy, so maybe that's just my bias.

From Canton, MI — 11/16/2009

I've been here for about a year and its progressively got worse. When I started out I was treated nicely and everyone was willing to help. Over time everyone just became grouchy and there became groups amoung coworkers. The people who have been there the longest think they are better than everyone else and try to tell you what to do even if they aren't a manager, but then go right around and do the exact opposite of what they tell you to do. If you think you may be sick EVER then don't work here. The manager will give you hell, but then two days later will leave 5 hours early because they "have a headache" Also, don't plan on having a social life because you can work anywhere from 4am-10pm and you will work stupid 3 hr shifts everyday. Plus they are understaffed every week day and overstaffed every weekend. They recently took away our day stockers and only one person closes every night, usually a cashier, leaving them to ring up all the customers who decide to stay after close, take out trash, do go backs, get carts, and face the store. Also, you have to clean up dog crap/pee for customers who think they are too good to clean it up.

As for my ratings:
The pay is decent for being a cashier with no experience. Started above minimum wage and got raises after 6 months and 1 year.

You are respected by fellow coworkers of equal status. As for managers and people with seniority forget it.

I don't use their benefit program so i don't know how good it is.

Job security is pretty good. Pretty much if you do your job and don't give any of the managers attitude you are alright.

Work/life balance sucks. They are open 365 days of the year (if you are petcare) and you can work from 4 am to 10 pm and schedules vary.

Career potential/ growth also sucks. If you want to be a store manager or ops manager you have to be there for about 4-5 years and wait until the previous one quits to have an opportunity to get promoted. Any other manager position is hourly and sucks. You will be the store managers bitch and if you are the store manager you will be the district managers bitch.

Location is good for me. 10 min away

Co-worker competence is great amoung certain coworkers. Again there are certain groups.

The work environment is pretty good. Store is kept nice and clean, fun with certain animals, and people customers are generally friendly.

From GA — 10/24/2009

Ever since Petsmart opened near my house i have visited and shopped there numerous times. I absolutely loved the animals and associates. So one day i applied for pet care specialists. Sure enough i got it in AUG 09. I started out making 7.50per hr. which yes, was lower than my last job but i wanted the job. I have a wonderful PC manager and when she wasnt busy she helps me on things that need to be done. yes workin in the pet care can be demanding and ive read those other post bout how 'awful' it is. Well its not company, its the workers. i enjoy petcare and believe it or not i like scrubbin those tanks and doing the beddings. I do get wet sometimes and my back might hurt but its for the animals and your getting paid while having fun playing w the animals. Now its Oct 09 and the managers of the store are promoting me to support manager. making over 10 an hr. w/ all the benefits and bonuses. and i havent even made it past my 3 months. i am also 19. i have been to college, got my Certified Nursing license and was taking Cosmetology but dropped it bc i have decided to stay at petsmart. also i have worked in retail for 3 yrs and 2 of the 3 been part of supervisor/management team.
mayb some ppl arent giving it 110% or being 'unleashed'

From Downers Grove, IL — 10/13/2009

Here's the deal. Petsmart is a retail store. The stores are never going to be the same across the board. Some of the will be horrendous and some of them will be wonderful. You will never find a retail store to work in that will make your life easy and happy. However, as far as retail goes, this is not a bad place to work. Despite what people say, if you are competent, there is HUGE potential for career growth. I became a salon manager and honestly, as a wife with the second salary in my household, I am very satisfied. They take good care of their employees at petsmart, regardless of what the angry uneducated people on this website say. If you get stuck in a bad store, it's probably not that hard to transfer.

From Ontario — 10/13/2009

The company is great to work for at the store level, with amazing managers and coworkers who are patient, understanding, and respectable as well as respectful.

From Hickory, NC — 09/11/2009

I have worked at Petsmart for 2 years now. They actually pay well compared to other retail places I've worked at. They have excellent benefits. I am full time, I get medical, dental, life insurance, vision, STD and LTD, 401K that Petsmart matches, holiday pay, vacation pay and discretionary pay. Part time people get some vacation pay and medical insurance is also offered. Since I am full time I am promised at least 36 hours a week, part timers on the other hand aren't promised a certain amount. They could get scheduled 10 hours one week and 30 the next. One thing this company is big on that I hate is cutting hours. I understand that in this economy they are losing money, but I know they make more than enough and do not have to cut hours. I believe they cut hours to keep their pockets fat, by they I mean corporate. I also think it was a stupid idea of have a computer do all the schedules. It seems to be more work for my managers and it could have someone stay until 8pm and then be back the next morning at 3am for stocking. As far as career growth, it is minimal, but still there. I have moved up 2 times since I've been there. The next step would be for Support Manager or Pet Products Manager once there is a need. Support Manager wouldn't be so bad, 8 hour days and not a lot of headache. Pet Products Manager is a stocking manager, on delivery days they are required to be there unthinkably early. Pet Product Manager as well as all others, except Support Managers, work 10 hour days. I have no desire to be to work at 3 or 4 am and work until 1pm or 2pm. Since I would have to work as a Pet Products Manager before moving on to another manager, there is no oppurtunity for growth in my eyes. As far as location goes, I live about 45 minutes away from work, so for me it's not good. The store is located in a good area of Hickory though, which is a larger city than where I live. Over all, I believe the majority of my co-workers do an excellent job. I can honestly say that I have no beef with anyone I work with. There is one manager that can be very rude and heartless at times, but that's just her and you learn to avoid her on days she is in a bad mood. One reason why I wanted to work at Petsmart was because I loved animals. I get to see a lot of animals every day and for the most part it's enjoyable. What happens a lot is that customers bring in there pets and do not clean up after them. Petsmart provides oops stations because we know dogs have accidents. I hate how so many customers are rude enough to not clean up after their pets and expect employees to do it. That has not made me dislike animals, it makes me dislike people more than I used to. One last thing I want to comment on; Several months ago our registers were redesigned. Whoever designed them must never of used them. They are very crowded, the conveyer belt is poorly designed. It stops at an awkward angle and you have to bag and move everything to an area with very little room. The metal prongs that hold up the bags also get in the way if you need to step out to scan an item in a cart. it gets very hot when you are standing behind the registers especially on a warm day because Arizona(where our A/C is controlled) keeps the air up way too high. You get trapped in there a lot, if a customer is taking there sweet time and left their cart in front of the only exit. It's also stupidly designed for when a manager brings you change. They can't really get to the drawer to put the money in without being in someone else's way.