Working at PETCO — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about PETCO pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at PETCO

From Omaha, NE — 08/29/2010

I have worked here since about January 2010, and its okay. The hiring manager picks favorites. Our Store manager is pretty nice. As far as co-workers go, were pretty much a family. There are a few people though that get hired that have no clue what their doing, they quit usually within a month or two. On register, its kind of stupid that we have to answer the phone while ringing up/trying to help guests. Other than that, i dont mind working for this company. If you have any pets you save money working here.They also give us free coupons all the time. The only thing that sucks now though is they are giving us all bank cards with our checks on them now if you dont have direct deposit.

Oh yea and all the training is in video form, and you learn nothing.

From Minnesota — 12/01/2009

I've been with the company 13 years. That's right, 13 years. I've worked in every area of the store (including management) except grooming. Have there been negative experiences in that time. Of course. I've had incompetent management, and some of the best management I've ever known. When things got bad, I always managed to find someone to listen. And things got worked out. I've had incredible co-workers and incompetent ones. Neither ended up staying long. The incompetent ones were either fired or quit on their own. The incredible ones generally moved on. This IS retail after all. Not exactly the field the truly incredible workers tend to stay in for life. The improvement in animal care over those 13 years is something I'm very proud of. Are there bad managers out there? Undoubtedly. Are there excellent ones? Definitely. Take the time to visit any place you're interested in applying to. Watch the employees. Are they happy? Are they busy? Are they the type of person you are or want to be? If yes, apply! If no, try somewhere else.

From Tampa — 10/07/2009

I've been working at Petco for just over a year in grooming, and it has been one of the best jobs I've had. At first, I really hated it because I was not used to it, but after a few months I was used to the routine and enjoyed going into work.

The grooming and management staff is VERY well trained, although some associates kinda lack drive. The pay is minimum or commission, whichever is higher. I typically break about $400 a check when I don't make commission, but during the holidays I almost always make over, and that's with me being a bather. Groomers ALWAYS make commission. My manager gives me time off when I need it and is very lenient with hours if I need off. You have the ability to move up if you want to, the environment is pretty positive, the location is a 15 minute car ride, 30 minute bike, or 1 1/2 walk (I've done all three, lol). I get a lot of paid time off since I've been there a while, and everyone here respects me.

I guess a lot of the negative reviews come from people out on the store area, because working in grooming pretty much rules, lol.

From little town washingt — 09/25/2008

my pay is awesome! i have worked at PETCO for a little over a year. i started off at min. pay and now i make $12.00hr. i see nothing wrong with that. i see people bitching about working a lot of hours with little pay but what's funny if they worked little hours with little pay they would still be bitching. i love working as many hours as i can. i go in when ever they call me. ohh yeah i'm a team lead. we train our new members. i have more respect from my workers and managers then i ever thought i would even my DM likes me. if i wanted benefits i could get them but i dont need them. i hope to become assistant manager within the next couple months since ours recently quit. so my growth in the career is great! some co-workers are better then others but every one is finally getting along and working harder then a few weeks ago. drama has really come to a end so its great.

i love this job, we take care of our animals like we would if they were at our own homes.

From Acworth, GA — 09/10/2008

I have been with Petco for 6 months and I have found the pay to be competitive, the Co-Workers respectful, the management has worked with my schedule, not their, the training excellent and life work balance is great. This is the Petco to work for.