Working at Pepsi Bottling Group — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Pepsi Bottling Group pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Pepsi Bottling Group

From Winston-Salem — 09/04/2009

PBG or Pepsico, not sure. We began as Pepsico and changed to PBG and now we've been bought by Pepsico. I can only comment on my experience and it doesn't really matter which Pepsi logo I use. I have been with Pepsi approximately 10 years and like many others have had good bosses and terrible bosses. There are those who Micro-Manage and those who treat you like adults. Currently I work for a boss that doesn't worry about the small stuff (like whether or not you are on break when you go to the restroom or get something to drink) but worries about the job getting done. Sure, if you abuse it-you take the heat--Not everyone gets the crack down.
Pay is OK, but of course we'd all like to see the money we are worth but that's not corporate America. In this time of economic disaster I can say that Pepsi has come through. We were not given our yearly pay increases at the 1st of the year but after substantial growth the 2nd quarter Pepsi decided to share the wealth with a lump sum amount that equaled the increase we would have received from Jan thru July. In addition we were given a 2.5% pay increase for balance of year. This certainly isn't going to make us rich but it helps pay the bills. I count myself lucky to have a job let alone get a raise.
Benefits have remained the same (of course you have the yearly increases) and that's more than I can say for other companies.
Sure, Pepsi has it sticklers regarding Dress Code, vacations,etc.. and there are times that the "rules" can be rather ridiculous, but until I find the "better Job" I'll remain where I am and accept the cons with the pros

From Headquarters — 01/12/2009

I worked at PBG headquarters for many years, and was "forced" out under a new leadership team. It's an ultra-competitive environment where everyone watches what everyone else does - so they can hold something over you or use it to sabotage you to advance themselves. Office politics have superceded work quality - if you kiss up, you get ahead. If you work standard hours, you're noted as not having a good work ethic, even if you take work home, or are just a great time manager.
It used to be a wonderful, fun, stimulating environment. When I left, it was the beginning of a serious tumble. All the truly talented people have left, replaced by those who are politically manipulative. A sad fall from grace.

From Winston Salem, NC — 08/25/2008

Overall, The PBG Bottling Services Department in Winston-Salem is a good company to work for as long as you are on the Customer Service Team, Operations Teams, or are a workaholic. Unfortunately, I was on the Systems Support Team in which they work you like slaves, thus the -5 rating. One of my ex-co-workers has been working 80+ hours for several months and management has consistently looked the other way. To Management, it is more important to get good results than it is to really take care of the well being of their people. As an example, my father had a minor heart attack and I took a Friday off to travel to see him. The day before that Friday, I was speaking to my supervisor about where I was on a project. They actually asked if I planned on working that weekend. (Need I say more?) If you push back and try to work a more reasonable number of hours, intimidation tactics (prefer not to go into specifics here) are used.

Management talks about Work/Life Balance being very important and that everyone owns there own definition of W/L Balance. Just try to do this and here come the intimidation tactics. A good example of speaking out of both sides of the mouth......an email regarding "Work/Life Balance" training was sent to some of the employees. Quite interesting really......it mentioned that many individuals in management were able to complete this training and they wanted others to also receive it. However, the email goes on to state that due to daily competing demands and focus on critical projects, these individuals would not be able to receive this training at this time. Taking a step back and really understanding this communication....we cannot provide you with training on Work/Life Balance because we have to much to do. (Another...need I say more?)

Ending with a positive...my co-workers are like family to me (and still are!). I miss them terribly and pray for them each day.

From Tulsa, OK — 05/30/2008

If you are work, Pepsi will reward you. If you are lazy then they wont just like any other company. I have worked for Pepsi for almost 8 years and its the best job I have ever had. If I want to move to a different department, then they help me do that. The pay is decent, but I do believe it should be more especially do to the raising gas prices and the outrageous cost of living even for Oklahoma.

From Phoenix, AZ — 03/28/2008

Pay would not be so bad if they paid for overtime. My 8 hr days have turned into 12 hr days, while my pay does not reflect it.
Respect is lacking, management can care less if they are over working employees, they only care that the product gets delivered.
Decent benefits, job security is high do to the employees quitting.
work/life balance: is a joke, I originally chose to start early (5am)to be home and spend time with my kids, now I am starting early just so I will not be working until night. I come home have dinner and go to sleep, just to start work early again the next day. The body can only take this for so long.
Work environment is horrible, everyone wants to quite; I am currently placing applications after being with the company for over 8 yrs.