Working at Peace Corps — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Peace Corps pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Peace Corps

From Washington, DC — 01/07/2009

I was a Peace Corps Volunteer overseas and I also worked at the Peace Corps headquarters for three years. I loved both jobs and I think it is the best educational experience you could ever hope for. Don't waste thousands of dollars going to graduate school when you can join the Peace Corps and GET PAID to learn a language, live overseas for two years and have full medical coverage. Plus student loans are put on hold while you are in the PC. Not only is it great for your resume but the experience is one-in-a-million. You will come to make many beloved life-long friends, you will change peoples lives, you will really start to understand the rest of the world. You will see things you never could have imagined. You will help people in ways you never thought possible and they will teach you more than you could ever hope to know. The training is stellar but you must not expect any hand-holding with this job. You must be VERY self-sufficent, hard working and independent. If you cry when you leave your family or your pets for a three-week trip then I would not suggest this job for you. You must have a hard core and a can-do spirit. I went two years with out a telephone or a TV. Could you handle that? Can you handle cockroaches, stray dogs, cold showers, chain-smokers, no air conditioning or no heat, unsanitary restaurants, walking all day every day, pollution, and slow-motion action? Do you have patience and do you love children and socializing? If your answer is yes then seriously conside the Peace Corps. Best job you'll ever love.

As for the PC Headquarters, fabulous place to work. Great federal benefits, plenty of travel, always interesting and room for advancement. Also, lot's of great guest speakers and free computer training. Only one problem - you can only work there for five years due to the five-year-rule so that there is always new blood and a fresh perspective at the PC.

From washington dc — 03/19/2008

Peace Corps offers top-flight training in languages, cultural sensitivity and competencies, geo-politics. The volunteer gets enormous responsibility adequate support (but no hand-holding) with little interference. I was 21 years old when I began my service and had more responsibility than I could attain in the next 15 years of corporate work.
Peace Corps service will provide you a view of the USA from the outside, as seen by the poorer, developing nations. Such "boots-on-the-ground" experience is very valuable to American employers.

The downsides is that the assignment or the Country Director or your host-country supervisors may not be great. Be careful in accepting an assignment. Meet the Country Director and others who'll supervise you to be sure they've got your interests, goals and needs as their top priority. Avoid service in troubled regions as such troubles will distract you from achieving your goals, unless being in troubled areas is one of your goals.

The pay is ... well... irrelevant. If you get ill, they'll get you out quickly and help you recover. The work environments are usually difficult. But the people you'll meet and/or work with are usually great. This is the best 'job' you could have, at any age.

From Washington DC — 11/05/2007

"Do some poverty?" Try twenty seven months of living without the ordinary amenities that we all take for granted in the states. Try living without air conditioning, television, Internet access, or even electricity. Wash your clothes, including sheets and towels, for all that time in a tub in your back yard, and hanging them in your bedroom during monsoon season where they take fully five days to reach a scratch and sometimes moldy state of dryness. And all the while, try communicating in a newly-learned language with people who depend on you to help them find a way out of the helplessness and hopelessness they have been experiencing before you came to their town or village. I've served in Peace Corps four times, including Hurricane Katrina response in our own US. I've also worked for PC HQ in Washington DC. I was 50 when I first joined, and at 70 I'm still telling youth and Baby Boomers alike about this wonderful JFK legacy. I've worked alongside retired dairy farmers from Minnesota, kids of single moms in rural West Virginia, and yes, a rich kid from Marin County. All were dedicated to their tasks. I've seen great country directors, mediocre host country staff, and not so hot Political Appointees to contend with, but I've seen equal mixes in both the private sector and in other government segments. They used to call it "the toughest job you'll ever love." I think it still is.

From Washington D C — 11/04/2007

I spent two yrs serving and the training, the people, my coworkers, were wonderful. The village life was challenging and after 18 yrs, I still return, bring the village families to visit me in the states and keep a scholarship going at the village high school. I have had a lot of jobs, but none as good as the two yrs in the Peace Corps.