Work at PayChex — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about PayChex pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at PayChex

From Virginia — 11/18/2008

First of all, it's Paychex, not PayChex! Let's at least get the name of the company right, shall we? I notice that a lot of the negativity in preceeding comments come from people who can't spell basic words yet complain about their advancement opportunities and pay. There is lots of bashing of the sales team, let's get another thing straight... Just because there is the occasional bad sales rep, that does not warrant a generalization about all sales people within the organization. You people need to understand that Operations and Sales have a synergistic relationship. One does not exist without the other. You all work for the same team, you are all stockholders! Act like it! One thing I can guarantee you, there is always something negative to say about just about anyone. Why not put that same wasted effort into something productive like answering the phone with a smile on your voice? It's hard for most clients to keep up a tirade when you come across as someone who is genuinely trying to help vs. someone who is blaming someone else or even the client. Let's just forget the blame game, solve the issue and move on. Believe me, you will go home at night a much happier person for your family. I say, let's just be thrilled to death that we have a job to go to where there are no threats of lay offs, cut backs or pay reductions! We are working for a somewhat recession proof company, be greatful! Thank God for Tommy Galisano's little idea back in 1970ish that small business people could use some help with payroll taxes!

From Seattle, WA — 05/14/2008

My second job out of college, this company trained me exceptionally well and I felt very prepared to sell Paychex suite of services. I made incredible friends at this company that are my best friends several years later. My boss was a great mentor and I stayed friends with him even after my territory failed me and I was forced out. Producers are protected even if those producers are doing or saying things they shouldn't. Be cautious of this. That said, my boss was incredibly fair when my quota wasn't met for a couple months and he helped me find a new job before I left Paychex. This is a great job and company and really makes you appealing to recruiters. I'd get a call a week at least that I didn't solicit. There are a lot of meetings and that gets old fast. The reports, when I was there, were archaic and intrusive to my work day but every job has something. This company is kind of churn and burn, like most entry-level sales jobs. Most people hang on a couple years at most before landing another great sales job somewhere else. There are those star, circle of excellence, employees that hang on for life but they're very rare. If you get the chance, interview the branch manager of opp's when you interview for your sales position. If he or she is inept, your job will be incredibly tough. Unfortunately, our branch manager wasn't respected and our customers took the hit for it. I couldn't stand behind our services as a branch at one point and started interviewing. If you're in sales, make friends with Op's. They work their tales off and ultimately are the face of Paychex as they interact with your clients as often as weekly. Paychex is very ethical, very respected and a solid company. I recommend them over their competition and would work there again if I had to go back to work. Oh, one more thing. Be prepared to do a lot of cold-calling. I had the best luck with telemarketing.

From Rochester, NY — 03/01/2008

The pay is kept at industry standards and the annual merit increases for working hard are nice. The companies supervisors rarely back you up against a client that is being unreasonable, rude and disrespectful and you are forced to work with them until you are promoted or a new payroll specialist needs clients. Management believes that if a client is being rude and disrespectful that their is a reason for it which is not always true. As with most corporations, the management cares more about the bottom line than their employees stress level. The company offers a complete medical, 401k, and employee stock option plan which is great. You will always have a job as long as you work hard, don't call in late too many times in a year, or call off sick beyond what they pay you for. It's very hard to balance you work and life because you will find that your fellow co-workers will not appreciate you if you take off during a heavy payroll processing day. I found that the career potential is excellent. Their are several avenues to explore and management is always looking to promote from within. The branch locations are located very near major city's and you can re-locate to almost any state. Most of the co-workers that I have worked with care only about their client base and are only willing to help if instructed to do so by a supervisor. The work environment is unpleasant due to the high volume of work and the sour attitude of co-workers and displeased clients. I suppose it comes with the territory. This review is written based upon the payroll specialist position.

From Norwalk, CT — 10/06/2006

For comparable positions the pay is a little above average, and the benefits are great. Company has been known to do broad based stock options too, for all employees not just management. The company has been around for a long time now and continues to grow. The management teams work closely with the employees to discuss goals and the means to acheive them. I have seen many promotions, and our branch manager, like most, started at the bottom in an entry level position. Everyone is very well trained and does their fair share of the work load. It is a very fun and exciting atmosphere!!!

From Rochester, NY — 09/15/2006

Pay is decent and average industy standards. Respect I receive from all employees. Benifits are as usual. 401k, dental, vision, etc for full time workers. job security wise, everything seems ok. Doesn't feel/look like the company will tank or so. Work/Life balance is normal. I only work from the morning to afternoon doing the normal 8 hours. Everything else is good. ONLY thing that may not be so good is career growth and potential. Basic jobs will 90% of the time keep you there or move/shift you around a bit. Don't expect a promotion if you don't have a bachelor degree. I know some thats been there 5 years and same position. Eh- Goodplace to work if you don't plan on taking over the company or doing the 14 hours CEO positions. ;)