Working at PayChex — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about PayChex pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at PayChex

From San Francisco Bay Area, CA — 10/21/2010

I LOVE working for Paychex! I work as a sales rep and although the base salary was not as high as I had hoped, I saw the commission structure and realized that it can be very transactional = more sales = more commissions! I used to make a base of 55K at my previous company, but I was making a billion cold calls all day long and kept hearing "no" all day. So when they offered a salary in 40K's I hesitated. When I say it's transactional I mean that we are put in a lot of closing situations, we get a lot of leads from current customers, CPA firms, and we even have a telemarketing team that set appointments up for us.

The team is awesome too! Everyone is high energy, ambitious, outgoing etc. That was really important to me when looking at new companies.

I've been at 3 companies in my sales career and by far Paychex is the best place to work!

From Minneapolis, MN — 10/03/2010

I'm a Senior Payroll Specialist and the one thing I have to point out in reading these reviews is that Paychex is very branch specific. We have EXCELLENT managers at our location. I'm supported in my decisions and my supervisors are incredibly careful not to undercut the specialist while maintaining customer service. Again, it's branch specific. I'm not sure I would want to transfer elsewhere because I don't know that it could be that great. We have incentive programs for our stats that earn us time off (up to 8 hours a month, and it is VERY attainable.) - we have branch lunches - we've even had supervisors bring in their Wii and let us take time to play!

My critique is workload, but they are working hard to alleviate it. The management is transparent in telling us it has to do with budget (and I don't like it, but it's corporate America). Yes, it is incredibly stressful. Yes, there are days I want to scream. They let me vent, they let me "explode" and I'm not called down for it. Additionally, my co-workers are reliable. I've worked here for 2.5 years and there are a lot of lifers here.

I also gave a lower score on pay because I know they pay less than other companies, but good management is hard to find and I'll take a little less to be satisfied with those higher up.

I've worked enough places to know a good thing when I see it. Every job has it's cons. The question is, what can you live with? I work regular hours, ten minutes away from home, with understanding supervisors (almost everyone has a family with kids)...the workload is a bit heavy and the pay a bit low - but that's what I can live with :)

From Phoenix, AZ — 07/25/2009

I worked in Sales for a couple of years with Paychex. The money is good, nice base, good commission splits. Everyone would like them to be higher, but I always felt they were at least fair. The trade off for this is that the pressure is extreme. Getting calls after 8pm and on the weekends from managers and their managers talking about how your performance effects their ability to put food on the table for their family.

If you are doing well you are looked at to pick up the slack for everybody else, if you are down they will threaten you with termination. "One on One's" 9 times out of 10 resulted in reps coming out their DSM's offices with their heads down trying to pick themselves back up so they could go out on calls. It would be routine for reps to come in tired, talking about how they couldn't sleep due to "paymares". I really can't emphasize the pressure enough.

I liked both DSMs that I worked for there. Both are genuinely great people. How can be great people and put that kind of heat on their reps? Well, there is a cycle where their boss yells at them, because his boss was yelling at him and the DSMs follow that lead and yell at the reps. They yell because they have to do something to avoid getting yelled at some more and figure if their boss yelled at them it's probably a good idea for them to yell at the reps. You get these people off the clock out at dinner and they are wonderful parents, fun people to hang out with. If you are having personal issues they will show plenty of empathy as long as it doesn't interfere with work. Then you are on your own.

There is a high standard for employees interviewing is intense and they pick the best. I had great teammates which you need to survive the pressure in that place. Everyone has mentioned how highly Paychex employees are thought of amongst other employers you will get unsolicited calls from outside recruiters at least a couple of times per month, in addition I had clients who would regularly ask about hiring me.

I lasted two years before getting completely burnt out. The average rep in the position I was in lasts 4 months. It's intense, you don't see anybody in there over 40, it wears on everybody. Great job for somebody who is young and hungry, just hit your numbers, make your money and use your experience to get something more stable with a better work life balance.

From South East — 05/06/2009

Paychex is a great company to work for! It's a large company that is very respected in the accounting community. The pay is good. It compensates people that have a good work ethic and want to "make" a living and not have something handed to them. You're compensation is uncapped, so nothing's stopping you from making more $. In previous reviews I read the compensation is "fair". Well, that's completely up to you to determine your income. "IT'S A CHOICE" to determine your income! The benefits are great! A lot of companies are cutting back on benefits, with Paychex they continue to add benefits. For example, EAP (Employee Assistant Program) is amazing! They will act as a personal assistant to do research for you. They even shopped for a Wii for me at Christmas time. Work life balance can be a challenge if you struggle with managing your time. The lazy ones struggle because they are slow getting their work done, if you work hard and get things "done", you will be able to manage it. Paychex isnt a company for slackers! The career growth is unlimited, you can grow as much as you want. Once you proove yourself, you can do anything you want. Location is convenient. Co-worker competence and work environment is good. You are in an environment with other human beings, there's always going to be drama no matter where you are. You choose whether you participate or not. Paychex is one of the most amazing companies there is. They truly listen to their employees and continue to strive for more ways to give you things. The ones who have anything negative related to Paychex are probably people that have a lack of appreciation in life. Consider yourself very lucky if you get the opportunity to work for Paychex.

From Orange County, Ca — 05/03/2009

I've worked for Paychex for over 4 years in sales. The earning potential is pretty good... just keep in mind that your commission is based on how you did last year. If you hit Circle of Excellence, your commission percentage payout the following year is higher. If you miss it the next year, you get put back down to a lower percentage the following year. Normally this is okay except when outside factors make you barely miss your goal (I.E. Economic downturn). You end up taking a pay cut the following year. The company culture is pretty good compared to other large corporate companies. As product leaders in payroll, 401(k) and other services, it makes it a little easier to gain credibility with prospects. The customer support is hit or miss (like any large company). For the most part, I stand behind what I sell, which is important. THE ONE THING ANYONE SHOULD KNOW BEFORE GETTING HIRED? If you are lucky, or good enough to make the trip, just be aware that you are not allowed to bring anyone! That's right, even if you were willing to pay for your spouse, Paychex doesn't let you. I'll never understand the logic behind that.

From California — 04/29/2009

I have worked for Paychex for about a year now and will be making over $100k by the end of the fiscal year. This is the BEST company that I have ever worked for! The majority of the people who work for Paychex LOVE it, everyone works well together to help each other achieve their goals. When you start here you sit down with your manager and develope a business plan or a plan of action for the year outlining your goals, your manager works closely with you and makes sure that you achieve them. The tarinign that they provide is incredible. The base salary is very competitive for outside sales and the commission is great. There is a lot of pressure for you to make your goals but the rewards make all of the hard work worth while. This is the first job that I have had in a long time that I actually get excited to go to every morning when I wake up. Everyday is different and I very much enjoy what I am doing and all of the places I have got to travel to and the people I have met through Paychex. I feel truly blessed to be a part of this company!

From Philadelphia — 04/02/2009

I have been with Paychex in a sales position for many years. It is a high stress/high reward environment. I made over $100K my first year, and haven't been below since. There is a HUGE amount of pressure to produce your number. This drives many sales people out the door, many to pharma careers. I have been to many of the awards conferences, and have found them to be terrific. I am NOT one of the favorites, as I am typically not a team player. Yet, I have always felt respected and able to earn a solid living. Benefits are fine, not great. If you don't want to be a manager, there is no career track at all. The salary is fair, and the top end is competitive. I will earn around $140K this year. There are higher paying jobs out there, and I get a couple of call from recruiters each year. I stay because I love the company and the people in it. There is a lot of mutual respect, and if you work hard, this job is a once in a lifetime place to be.

From Northeast — 01/04/2009

I have worked for Paychex in the HRS division for the past year. Paychex is a very hard company to get into. The interview process typically requires 3-5 interviews with a couple different managers. The reason for this is because Paychex is looking for the best of the best. When hired you must complete 3 weeks of training with 2 job dependent test with no exceptions to their outcome. When you get past these steps you are golden. Paychex is a phenomenal company to work for. The salary for my division ranges between 45-53k. You also get a very nice tax free car allowance, along with the ability to expense certain things. The ramp up period for this position is typically about 3 months before you see some real money, but in many cases it's 1 month. The company displays a very corporate feel and reps are expected to be dressed to deal with C-Level executives, business owners, and over-all decision makers. The ability to make money is realistic with this company. Reps in my division, within this area average, between 90-190k. This company hates turnover and works hard with their reps so they are maintaining their quota. Once you get above quota and consistently stay above it, you are running your own business with many branches of support. One of the best parts about Paychex is the ability to have partners in different divisions that help you cross-sell your product. The overall structure is fantastic. Paychex has a great reputation in the business world and employees are heavily recruited once they are in. This is very true, as recruiting calls started in my 3rd month. The only people that leave are people that move on to medical device sales or investment banking jobs that pay 400k plus. You will not make 400k at this job, but you can make 120-220k here and have a great quality of life. Management opportunities are great and there are three levels of recognition with this company, all which result in a trip to a destination and financial reward. Paychex prides itself by employing only top notch employees. Everyone at this company is educated and very successful in their past careers. The rumor when you get to school is that if you are hired you beat out 31 other candidates for your position. If that is not motivation to succeed, I don't know what is.

From Indianapolis, IN — 12/17/2008

I worked at PayChex in Indy and really enjoyed it! My manager was nice. I was there only part-time and worked about 6 months. I wish I could work there again but I couldn't because my full-time position interferred with the schedule. But I would love to work for them again, especially in another city.

From Hauppauge, NY — 12/05/2008

Nice company but they really need to boast the pay, i could not live off the salary even after 3 years wih decent raises. I went to another company and got 15K more per year right off the bat. They also need in house training. They send everyone to corporate in Rochester for two weeks and though i will admit i had fun, two weeks away from home is ridiculous.