Working at Parker Hannifin — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Parker Hannifin pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Parker Hannifin

From Cleveland, OH — 10/01/2010

Great company to work for. Company has great long term vision and really do care for employees.

From Irvine, CA — 03/03/2010

Previous reviews knock on pay because Parker has excellent RONA (bonus), better than most others in aerospace! May not be great every year but it is most years!

From New York — 10/19/2009

Overall, a good place to work at - decent pay, not too much overtime, friendly/helpful people, a diverse work environment, and great benefits. My main gripe with the company is that it is almost impossible to get promoted to management level ranks without being highly political or having some king of domain knowledge that the company values.

In my division, there were literally managers that completely screwed up projects with cost overruns and inaccurate assumptions, only to be promoted or shifted to other projects as a result. And what a reviewer above said, with the company respecting overtime more than efficient work, is dead-on. The employees that got the nicest raises were the ones that practically lived at the company 24/7.

Which brings me to the next topic - raises. I understand that people are busy, and times are hard, but there is no excuse for having performance reviews 6 or 7 months late, and then to top it off, the slacker that sits next to you that surfs the net all day gets the same 3-4% pay raise as the guy that is constantly running all over the place, constantly working on something.

They have talented engineers, but they are often overworked and very busy, in addition to being unwilling to transfer their knowledge for fear of being laid-off, often leading to situations where someone arbitrary is assigned to do a task, making it take much longer to accomplish.

As mentioned, job security is a HUGE benefit of this company, at least at my division, especially if you were an engineer. They have a policy of putting slashes on the name badge for every five years an employee spends at the company, and observing some of the name badges with 4-6 slashes was evidence of stable company.

From Cleveland, OH — 06/25/2009

I have had experience with several divisions nationwide.

Parker pays very well. Bonuses are more than fair. Co-workers are great. Work hours for me were family friendly. There were other employees and departments who put in 50 or 60 hours a week. Fortunately, my department was not that way. Parker is also professionally run. Career growth is descent if you are willing to relocate, but management has been known to block advancement for various reasons. Some are good others pure political. Depends who your bosses are.

This brings mE to my main point. Where Parker goes wrong is management attitude towards their employees. We had internal surveys showing a 70% employee dissatisfaction with their bosses. That is the dirty little secret. From what I have seen and experienced is many in management are not good to work for. They are competent but often they make their employees look bad. For example, if you make a mistake, chances are someone will have the joy of pointing it out to everyone. I have seen so many employees being talked down to. Performance reviews are dog and pony shows and are highly subjective depending on who you work for. Parker does layoff quite a few workers, but at the same time there are many who stay with the company for years if not decades. I guess if you are not a victim of politics, personality conflicts, long hours, or downsizing, itís a descent place to work. It is a roll of a dice.

From washington mo — 06/02/2009

This is a excellent job if you have no goals or ambition or any need to feel that you are making a difference.It is a assembly line type of work where you mindlessly assemble 1000 to 1200 parts per day and are constantly barked at about numbers .As for enviroment ,in my department we just got air conditioning that brings the tempreture down to about 85 that is far more comfortable then the 117 plus we were seeing previously,but that isnt in the whole plant ,just my dept so iam thankful for that ,but i also feel bad for the otheres dealing with the heat.The pay and benifits are above average for the area I started out at 9.45 I now make 13.51 1 1/2 years later and would be getting a 2.00 raise again in july ,but due to the economic downturn all wage increases have been froze,my top pay will be 17.80 an hour .In closing ,I personally want to go to school nad get some kind of a degree in nursing or related feild ,I cannot do this type of work my entire life ,but it is a good job and good pay if you can tolerate the work.

From USA — 05/09/2009

I actually like the work environment/atmosphere provided at Parker, but there has been some recent changes which have reduced the desire to continue working at Parker Hannifin or care about end results.

Even with the positive financial outcome of the current year, we are not receiving a raise. Management expects all worker to increase their output without the prospect of raise and probable RONA reduction. Basically, employees in my division are carrying the burden of failing divisions in order to make the share holders happy. Apparently they forgot that a vast majority of share holders includes us employees. The production control management only appreciates those individuals without a life that are able to work constant over time. PC management never seems to have a Plan of the Day. If they do have a PoD, it is rarely followed due the poor coordination or epic proportion of unskilled labor.

Performance should not be based on overtime output; it should be based on skill and the other values without any bias. For the last decade, it appears that only employees whom work constant overtime are appreciated and compensated better than others. Those employees are also the ones whom "Milk the cash cow" and reduce the overall production efficiency. Management never seems to appreciate the 40h/week worker whom works hard and efficiently. Managements' failure to properly plan for and execute a PoD does not constitute an emergency on my part. The lack of a raise for the second time defiantly demotivates me and many other employees I work with. Since we all know our division is performing better than expected, we are really pissed that the company continues to use the " Poor economic conditions" card as a basis for a raise freeze. The buddy system network in the work place has become increasingly annoying.