Working at Papyrus Greeting Cards — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Papyrus Greeting Cards pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Papyrus Greeting Cards

From east — 08/30/2010

Papyrus (not American Greetings)

PAY - If they love you, you will continue to receive raises even though your annual review is rated lower than another person's. Your DM will try to control your EBIDTA (bottom line) by not offering raises to managers in lower volume stores.

RESPECT - There has not been any positive or negative experiences regarding respect.

BENEFITS - Pretty standard! You do have to jump through hoops to use PTO or sick hours.

JOB SECURITY - As long as you're 'in' with your regional manager, you have a good ride.

WORK/LIFE BALANCE - If you're a store or assistant manager, work/life balance does not exist. Due to lack of payroll, everything pretty much comes down to the store and assistant managers. Key holders and sales associates are hired to cover meal breaks for management. Aside from doing everything in the store, management is expected to organize and host in-store events with pretty much ZERO assistance from corporate headquarters or upper management and are expected to deal with orders and disgruntled customers on days off. Don't forget the bazillion corporate visits! DMs pretty much panic and expect you to cancel all vacations and prior plans.

CAREER POTENTIAL/GROWTH - Again, if the RM loves you, you will go all the way. If they hate you, start applying for other positions because you will stay where you are.

LOCATION - Store locations are usually in mid to high-end centers/areas.

CO-WORKER COMPETENCE - Obviously, it depends on the location. Corporate headquarters is a separate issue though. You are only allowed to contact them via e-mail but there is no contact list. If you call the headquarters, they will report you to your respective DM and you will get a tongue lashing. The only way you get anything done is if you have been with the company for awhile and you know the people in the office. Otherwise, expect to not get anything done.

WORK ENVIRONMENT - It's very clique-y amongst the stores. DMs choose their favorites and lots of decisions are made over lunch and cigarette breaks. If you're in the clique then you know all the upcoming news/events/whatever but if you're not then everything will be a bit of a surprise.

Overall, it's not a bad place to work. Personally I have a great rapport with my DM, but I'm pretty sure that I'm on my RMs crap list. She hasn't given me a 'pet name', which is usually an indication that she loves you. To be honest, I couldn't care less since she isn't the most genuine person, but I am very much aware that I'm pretty much stuck where I am because I'm not on her radar. Needless to say, I'm currently looking to move on. The product is a lot of fun and I love that it's a very gay-friendly work environment.

From Missouri — 04/07/2010

I have worked at Papyrus (not AG) for several years. I started out as seasonal and was invited to join part-time as soon as those hours became available. It is the best retail environment I have ever worked in. I haven't had much contact with acquired AG employees (who seem the most irate), but the people I work with are competent, fun and respectful. The store as a whole values teamwork and creating a positive customer experience, so much so that many customers are known by name. There has been a little frustration with receiving some AG product, as it doesn't move and is generally not the quality our customers are used to, but we view it as an opportunity to show how great the Papyrus brand and brand quality really are in comparison. I have consistently been given opportunities to advance and learn new areas to increase my value as an employee, and my managers are always flexible and understanding about family or personal needs.

From md — 03/08/2010

great place to work with lost of advancement opportunities