Working at PAPA JOHNS PIZZA — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about PAPA JOHNS PIZZA pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at PAPA JOHNS PIZZA

From St. Louis, MO — 10/16/2010

I am an hourly shift leader for Papa John's. Although I can't say I "love" my job, but I certainly don't hate it. I have a lot of fun with my co-workers, my manager treats me like a person and is very kind and respectful. I mean, if you're going to have a part time job in the food industry?? This is it. Not bad at all. I will say that our instore employees (the pizza makers) are super underpaid. I've seen a lot of complaints on the drivers only making $4.50 an hour, but what do you expect? All the drivers at my store make WAY more money than me and make $4.50 an hour. It's like any other waitressing job. My girlfriend only makes $3.50 an hour as a waitress but easily brings home more money than me daily. Papa John's can be a really fun place to work if you're not lazy, and at least attempt to get along with your co-workers. Here's a good hint- if everyone you work with has a problem with you, chances are that YOU are the problem. Papa John's is good enough if you want to work with food part-time. Getting promoted and working your way up in the company is a definite possibility if you work hard and keep your nose clean.

From ventura, california — 08/16/2010

see rustys pizza

From south carolina — 04/19/2010

i am a general manager of a store in south Carolina.Ive been a general manger for a year and a half. i have been working for this company for 3 years now. I make 525 dollars a week and work my ass off everyday. The people at corporate could careless about me our my employees, and i have received one raise in a year and a half and that was 25 dollars a week.WOW! my drivers dont hardly make anything now that there pay has gone down and corporate will not approve any raises for them. i am putting my self through college and working full time and still do a damn good job, but my surperers could careless. horrible company that will fuck you anyway they can. Oh did i mention that i was promised a raise three months after i took the general manager position and just got one two weeks ago which is 1 and half years later.

From Eugene, OR — 02/21/2010

fact of the matter all jobs suck and out you in a rut. You'll be broke no matter what you get paid. but anyway I actually loved working at papa johns i loved my boss and I made 70-130 bucks a night in tips. it was sweet and i listened to daft punk the whole night

From Champaign, IL — 10/05/2009

NOT A BAD JOB IF YOU WANT TO MAKE DECENT MONEY FOR WHAT IS ESSENTIALLY UNSKILLED LABOR

I was a driver and worked here for about 3 years throughout college and for a year after graduating.

PROS:
I should probably preface this by saying I worked in a college town, so my experience may have been totally different than city/suburban locations. College town environment means the store is constantly busy from lazy college students and BIG ORDERS during morning hours and during dinner rush. But during the summer months things slow down considerably, but I didn't mind to much because I busted my ass so much during the year I could use a break. The best thing about this job is the pay, as I would make about $2500-$3000 a month depending mostly on luck. You would get $6.00 hourly plus tips, and at my store, your gas compensation was tied to the dollar amount of orders, so you would get 5.5% of the ticket price so your bread ticket is usually the big orders. So on a let's say, $400 order, you would automatically make about $22, and hopefully about $50 tip if the customer is reasonably generous. So that's $72 on a single delivery, so bad for about 20 minutes of work. Of course, the problem with this system is that piddly orders less than $15 you could get fucked, but most customers were pretty generous, so I could still expect to get tipped about $2 a delivery. Overall, you could expect to make at least $100 just in tips and on a good night, anywhere from $150 to $200. Going home with that much CASH was always great.

Another great thing was the nature of work being a delivery driver. Being in the store SUCKED, but we were almost always reasonably busy, so more than half of my shift was spent on the road, which was pretty awesome. Just sit back, crank up the tunes, look at the pretty college girls around town, and pump your adrenaline to drive quickly to hopefully get better tips. The cops were USUALLY pretty chill with us exceeding the speed limit by 10 miles. It's hard on your car though, so I wouldn't recommend driving a bimmer to work.

Job security was GREAT at my store, as long as you got along with the managers, and didn't come to work drunk/stoned you could expect to work there as long as you wanted (actually, you could get away with being stoned as long as you didn't do it too often and didn't act like an idiot as pretty much everyone in the pizza biz smokes pot). You could take a few months off if you wanted, and then come back no questions asked. After I got buddy buddy with everybody, I could show up 30-60 minutes late, and no one would really care as long as we weren't busy. Excluding our ANNOYING DM, work was usually pretty chill, and when the shit wasn't hittng the fan, we would joke around and watch youtube videos on the back office. It was a great little family we had there, and a lot of guys working there had been there for about 10-20 years.

CONS

The biggest one is there is no opportunity for advancement really. I was making about 30-35k before I even graduated college which was AWESOME, but that's all you'll ever make. It's a lousy resume builder, and all I really took away from it was knowledge of the food service industry if I ever want to get into franchising later in life.

Number 2 was definitely lack of respect. Most customers were pretty nice, but you wouldn't believe the stuff some customers were stir over ridiculous shit. Customers making up complaints to get free pizza were COMMON and we'd have to SMILE and waste time and money bringing them free shit. Working in bad weather was HORRIBLE...especially the rain. It's really degrading when you rush through a torrential downpour, get your feet wet, and then a run a goddam pizza to someone's door that makes a crack about the weather and then stiffs you (our term for not getting tipped). Not to mention that customers NEVER seem to understand why it's difficult to deliver shit QUICKLY in shitty weather. Gee, I dunno, maybe it's because your goddam street is a fucking RIVER, and believe it or not you can't exactly jam your car down the street when it's in danger of becoming a boat.

Number 3 is that this job WILL turn you into some manner of racist. I'm a pretty liberal guy, but you very quickly learn that certain minorities will almost NEVER tip you. There's no vicious cycle, I always routed according to what would get me back into the store the fastest, and gave equal service to everybody even if I knew they would probably stiff me. But it's a fact that certain cultures ingrain stinginess into their young and those working for gratuity will get fucked. The worst offenders were definitely black people (as I'm sure anyone who works for gratuity will confirm) and they would often complain the most as well. It's a real slap in the face when you have to drive to the ghetto, arrive at the person's house in 15 minutes, and get stiffed on a $40 order and have to take it in stride. The racist thoughts running through my head really made me sick after a while, and that's a big reason I had to leave this place.

Number 4 was the hours. A 10-12 shift was generally expected, and I would pull 50-60 hour weeks. If you worked nights, you could expect to make more money, but forget about having a life. I started out working nights, but I had to shift to working days after a while because it made me really depressed after a while never seeing the sun, never being able to hang out with friends, and going to bed at 10 in the morning and waking up at 5pm.

All in all, it was a good job for what it was. It's unskilled labor after all, and anybody can walk into this job and make decent money FAST once you learn the streets. But it's not a place to stay if greener pastures await.

From ohio — 09/28/2009

The pay at my store sucks because we start out lower then every other pizza joint around, (we start at 6.00/hour for drivers where as other stores start at 7.30/hour for drivers). Mostly everyone I work with is a complete lazy ass who doesn't know their right shoe from their asshole....but at least they are nice. My General Manager is one of the sweetest, funniest ladies I have ever met, and everyone loves her. Our DM is a big ol' lesbo but she is nice too. Work environment is good other than 80% of employees standing around not doing anything. Small store, nice people. If you know what you're doing, you can move up very easily. Start out as a shift-runner, move to assistant manager in less than a year. Stay there for one more year and you're already a GM. pretty sweet deal if you're young and didn't finish out college. Benefits are available, but for anything worthwhile it's pretty pricey( ranges from $32-$280/month per person). If you do your job, you will have it forever if you want it. If you do your job well you will move up quickly, and get as many hours as you ask for. Good company to work for especially for young people....but if youre planning on making a career out of the pizza industry I would go with Donatos or Pizza Hut...upper MGMT gets much better pay and hourly employees do too.

From Melbourne — 09/22/2009

Working at Papa John's is stress free. I've worked in two different stores, one in FL and one in Durham, NC and both were good experiences. It's an easy job with potential for a livable wage if you're single with no family. Papa John's is my second job and definately my favorite of the two. The people are really solid and both stores were legitemately clean. I don't know if i've just been fortunate working at the stores I worked at and for the people I have but I would recommend Papa John's to anyone looking for a stress free job with flexible scheduling. Definately.
Just make sure you don't drive a nice car because it does put miles on your car.

From deer park, Tx — 07/29/2009

Pay started out at $6.50, when you went on a delivery you were dropped down to $5.00 an hour plus a small amount of change for gas, for anyone looking for an entertaining job rather than a profitable one should work here. Pay was ok, the real benefit was having cash on hand at all times due to tips. I felt like I mattered while I worked there, my boss was fair, and liked to joke around, but knew when it was time to be serious. Don't get in his way when it's time to be serious. Benefits were non-existent, not that the majority of us needed them, most delivery drivers are still kids. As long as you do your job, it is secure. I never felt like my job was threatened while I worked there. The schedule was incredibly flexible. I worked there for a year, I don't believe raises were ever given out, to anyone, and as far as growing in the company was concerned, most new management was brought in from other businesses, not that I was looking for a promotion, but it seemed like they were non-existent. Some of the co-workers were ok, some were very odd. Take you college age and high school students, and put them working with 30+ year olds (some were nice, some were just awkward. really, really awkward.)who have never been to college. That is what its like being a driver. Fortunately, you are on the road most of the time, so interaction is limited. The store was nice, though cramped. All in all my experience working there was really nice, and like any job it had its goods and bads. I would recommend this job to anyone.