Working at Papa Gino's — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Papa Gino's pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Papa Gino's

From central MA — 01/15/2010

Yes, the pay is lacking, if you're looking for a full time career, unless you have a dislike for money, this is not the place. It is my second job so it's not so bad.

Other than the occasional rude customer and one co-worker in particular no one has been disrespectful.

I cannot comment on benefits as I do not take advantage of any offered, therefore I can only say that I have not heard favorable comments made by co-workers.

Job security is fantastic, if you are willing to do your job in a responsible timely fashion, have a pleasant, respectful attitude with customers and co-workers, and adhere to the dress code you will never be unemployed and in fact probably will be offered the oportunity for advancement.

Work/Life balance, well, I work two jobs, I have no life. In my experience, if you give specific days that you are not available to work, for a good reason, not just that you want to go out Friday night, you will not be scheduled. My GM is very understanding and I give at least 2-3 weeks notice if I need to switch nights.

To advance is very easy from my experience. Just do your job and be respectful and you'll advance. Still, it would not be my choice for a full time career.

The location is good, close to major route, easy to get to from in town & out.

Co-worker competence, well, it's a 25/75 good/bad split for our location. Doesn't matter where you work, you will ALWAYS end up working with people that are lazy, thieves, drunk/high, or just plain incompetant. That's what I expect from a business that pays minimum wage and hires mostly part-time employees. Fortunately, most shifts I am working with a good crew.

Morale wise, the environment is surprisingly good. We do our work but remain in good spirits while we do so with few exceptions. Really the only bad part of the environment for me is the things that week after week go without being repaired or replaced, a leak here, a semi-broken trash there, cracked & broken containers still in use. The GM has been told of the need for repair/replacement but seldom takes action.

From New Hampshire — 04/01/2008

Pay - It's generally higher than minimum wage for starting team members, and it can rise as you get your evaluations and get certified to work in different areas of the restaurant. On average, a typical team member makes around $7-7.50/hr. If you're a driver you can make a living, barely. If you're making $7/hr plus tips, you can average around $15/hr.

Respect - You don't get much...from the customers, or people you work with. However, some people are very nice and you can take some pride in the food your making.

Benefits - I have heard from other team members that the benefits aren't too bad. You get medical/dental/vision/Rx coverage for around $10 a week, which is definitely affordable on the hourly wages. I'm not sure how good the coverage is, but some is better than none. Paid time off is given to full-timers and you can invest in a 401k. But probably one of the best things is that you get 2, yes 2 meals during an 8 hour shift. That means you can eat free food while on your break, and even take some food home for later. That is a big perk for a lot of people.

Job Security - It's actually pretty good. The only people i've ever seen fired are those that did stupid things over and over again, or people who simply didn't want to be there. If you put in somewhat of a decent work ethic you can stay for a while. Some people I work with have been there for over 5 years.

Work/Life - It's decent. I always get time off when I need it, granted I ask far in advance. The shifts are too bad. Closing is normally around 11pm so it's not too bad. Shifts can vary from week to week so it gives you a nice change of pace.

Location - I don't have a long commute. It's about ten minutes from my house so I don't use alot of gas to get to and from work which is a plus.

Co-worker competence - Like EVERY place you work, there will be people who aren't desirable to work with, but i've met many decent, hard working people where I work.

Work Environment - Breaks are given to you, there are normally enough people to work so you have help making food if you need it. It's a decent place.

From NH — 02/17/2008

I personally don't mind working here. It's part-time for me, but I enjoy when I work. I have seen literally dozens and dozens of people come and go over the years, including managers, but I figured it would be that way from day one. The pay is above minimum wage, but not by much. It's a good way to make some extra cash, especially if you're a delivery driver..since you make decent hourly pay (probably around $6/hr + tips). I don't have any real complaints because it's what you make of it!! If you hate working with food and if you're not an outgoing person who can work with a variety of people, working in any food place isn't for you. There are different things you can do within the restaurant, such as pizza, grill, service, maintenance, delivery and dish washing. This was enjoyable for me because things changed from day to day.