Working at Panera Bread — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Panera Bread pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Panera Bread

From St. Louis, MO — 09/14/2010

This is my first job and I couldn't possibly imagine any better place to start at. My managers truly took me in and made sure I was completely trained and prepared. They are always willing to help me out with anything, and are always out working with me, very rarely just sitting in their office. The people I work with are amazing also. There are people from all walks of life who I am friends with, and all are as far as I know very pleased with their job. I thought I would get sick of the food from working around it all the time, but I crave it even more now! I am so impressed with the working environment- it's never really insanely crazy except for in the morning, and there is very rarely mean or disrespectful customers. Even though I only work about 12-15 hours a week, I see the same loyal group of customers every day and have grown to have a relationship with them awesome. One manager of mine in particular makes coming to work an enjoyable experience. She truly cares about all of us employees and encourages us to help each other. I hear all my friends and teenagers my age complaining about their jobs, but on the whole I can't think of any large complaints about mine. I feel so lucky to work at such a wonderful place, and would encourage anyone considering working here to not be turned off by any negative reviews. I seriously cannot relate to any of them.

From Frankfort, IL — 08/26/2010

I have been working for panera for almost 2yrs and the managers at are store make going to work fun. We have fun while working and always get are work done and right. Even though everything is not perfect but what job is 100% perfect all the time.

From Minneapolis, MN — 06/08/2010

I've worked as an assistant manager for Panera Bread for about a year. Just like any other restaurant job, the work can get grueling and hours long. But the work experience makes this job very much worth it. You're supervising 25+ employees, ordering supplies, managing money, making schedules, etc. A lot of these are very marketable skills when it comes time to move on.

Also there is a very real opportunity to become GM and make lots of money running your own store. Many GMs have only been working for Panera for a few years yet have risen to the top level of retail positions.

Downsides are that many of the associates and managers are young and inexperienced which can cause stress at work. Also there is a lot of paperwork and checklists to complete during shifts.

From Augusta — 04/17/2010

I just got a job at Panera as the Via Panera coordinator. Now, I have not once gone to work yet, but I am very optimistic that I will love my job. It seems as though the majority of the complaints on here are absolutely ridiculous. If you don't want to wipe down tables, don't work in a restaurant. If you don't want to have erratic business and schedules, don't work in a restaurant. If you don't want to work on holidays, don't work in a restaurant. It does not seem as though Panera is the problem here, it seems as if the bitter employees with a poor attitude are the problem.

From St Louis, MO — 04/14/2010

I can not start to tell people how great this company is to work for. I was reading through some of the other reviews and was stunned by some of the responses. Then I started to think well most of these reviews probably come from narcisistic teenagers who have no work ethic. My experience with this company has been great. I started with them 3 years ago as an associate after moving to Saint Louis and with my hard work and ability to adapt much like this company has over the years I am in management now and I am looking forward to my next promotion. This company is very good at promoting from within to strengthen the team as well as very good at weeding out the bad seeds(which I am guessing is where a lot of these bitter comments come from). If you like to take pride in your work and the company you work for this is the place to go.

From Carbondale, IL — 03/03/2010

For the most part, working at Panera Bread was great. My schedule was extremely flexible with my schedule, I basically created my own schedule. Whenever there was a day I couldn't work, it was no problem finding someone else to work. The managers even helped out with it. You get paid a decent amount for the work that you actually do, raises are given twice a year.

We have something called "make it better" and all the employees can suggest an idea to make the restaurant better. That way if someone has a problem with anything, a solution can be worked on.

All the employees are rewarded for anything above and beyond they do.

While there are stupid things that go on, Panera is a lot better than average job. Way better than flipping burgers.

From Florida — 02/16/2010

The job overall is not too bad, but not fantastic either. Its meh....

From West Palm Beach, FL — 02/07/2010

I love my co workers! They are all alot of fun to be around! The managers are nice and all easy to work with. They are great and willing to work with my school schedule. The only downfall to working here is that you are constantly on your feet for at least 7 to 9 hours a day and some of the customers are very difficult to work with. Alot of the customers are elderly so you have to be patient with them.

From Champaign, IL — 01/24/2010

I love my job at Panera. It's easy to balance school and work. I've made great friends with all my co-workers and all my managers. I'm working as hard as I can to become a manager myself there. The raises aren't as great as one would like, but I can make due. It would have been nice to come in with a better skill set, but you make due with what you have. If anyone is reading with thoughts of applying, definitely give Panera strong consideration.

From MD — 01/03/2010

I loved working here, but I think because I worked in a small town our store wasn't as busy as most panera breads. I worked here for over a year and I got decent raises. The managers worked around my school schedule while I went to the community college down the street. We were all friends, cashiers, Line, managers everyone was pretty nice.

When the "rush" came during lunch and dinner, was when it was most hecktic and we were all yelling at each other, but we never held a grudge and moved on and bs afterwards. Plus we got christmas bonuses. They were closed on Thanksgiving and Christmas so I didn't even need to bother to take off. I mean, I'm not sure if all paneras are the same but I'd go back if I needed a second job. I got a better job now and panera gave me good experience. If you don't like fast pace, don't work here.

All companies that pay low are going to be crap, because they know young teens are going to take off for everything during school, thats why they have so many workers and little hours, so you have to show them your serious about working with them. In the meantime go to school!