Working at Outback Steakhouse — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Outback Steakhouse pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Outback Steakhouse

From Key West, FL — 08/20/2010

I've read a lot of very negative reviews on this website, so I thought I'd share my story of how Outback should be, and how it almost is at my location.

First of all, I transfered from an Outback in MD, I've been at this location for around 10 months, and I am soon to transfer back up to MD. I've been with the company for over a year as a server, server trainer, and headwait.

Briefly, I'll describe my experience at my original outback. It's been a while, and there isn't much I remember other than the fact that the money was disappointing, and I wasn't thrilled with the customer quality, but the restaurant was run professionally, efficiently, and was kept quite clean. I wasn't there long enough to be able to say that advancement opportunities we're possible, but I felt pretty well respected for doing my job very well. The rest of the wait staff we're pretty good, all in all I'd say everyone was pretty darn good.

I won't spend a lot of time on my current Outback here in Key West, whatever negative things I might have to say about the staff and/or management are too meaningless to mention. All I know is that I worked hard, was extremely dependable (was never late, never called out, never refused to pick up a shift when the boss called, etc. etc..) and did my job well and was recognized and rewarded for it. This is one of the only restaurants I've ever worked at (And I have worked at many over the years) where the boss is sincerely passionate about his employees best interests. This Outback is a true anomaly though, pretty much the complete opposite of the anal retentive nature of my old Outback and of many other Outbacks I've heard about. I credit this to the exotic location and the laid back nature of anyone who chooses to live on an island. I feel like our proprietor can get away with a little more leniency because of the laid back vacation feel our whole island gives off.

Bottom line, anyone who has written a negative review regarding their advancement opportunities we're probably not as great at their job as they thought they we're. With the limited number of quality people in our industry in general, management pretty much has to be completely blind to not recognize someone who is going to make things easier and more profitable for them. Either that or you just weren't smart enough to say "Hey, I'm great and you need me, let talk about me doing this new job..".

Yes, the customers can be rude, nasty wastes of flesh. The money can suck, and there are definitely days when you don't understand how you haven't walked out and quit yet. The fact that our prices are so low means two things: You won't be getting a check over a hundred dollars very often, and in our profession that means your tip percentage won't mean much if the check is only $23.45, and your restaurant will most likely be filled with Outbacks target demographic - Lower class, irresponsible idiots who drag their small children in five minutes before you are supposed to close (shouldn't babies be asleep before 11:00 p.m.?) because they know they get a free soda with their Kid Mac and even though they brought 9 people their check won't break a hundred dollars.

So, other than the terribly cheap customers, I can't complain. Considering I didn't go to college and Outback is my only full time job, I consider myself lucky. I pay my bills, put a bit away and don't find myself pinching pennies on a regular basis. This job is what you make of it. If you suck at it, you'll probably hate it. Contrary to popular belief NOT everyone can do this job, and no it isn't for idiots.

I hope this helps somebody out. When I first applied, it was a last choice. Now, however, I'm very glad I did. Hopefully you will be too.

From Tennessee — 07/13/2010

I've worked at Outback Steakhouse for two years now and sometimes i love it and sometimes i hate it. I've made more friendships there than i have through the 12 years of school i had. Everyone at my location pretty much gets along (except a select few...but not everyone is going to be friends anywhere you go) and we hang out all the time. I love all the parties every weekend with all my co-workers, and getting drunk with one or two of my managers at least twice a week. It really makes going to work better when you have memories with the people you work with. The customers of course are always going to complain and thats the only part the makes me hate the job, and one or two times a week we always run out of something we need...the management is good for the most part other than that though. I suggest working here if you are easy to get along with and have alot of patience. You HAVE to be fake to customers at all times haha!

From Colorado — 06/14/2010

I have worked at Outback for almost 5 years and I love working there! There is warning to this, to love to work there I believe it is easier to have started young (meaning high school) and to not expect much money. Why would I love working there if those two things can be terrible? I am in college and there are never any conflicts with class schedules. My Outback will always work around school. Because of the short hours the company is open, many shifts are only 4 hours. In these 4 hours a server can earn anywhere from 15-30 dollars an hour including hourly and tips. This can sound great but with little hours to work a day it can be difficult to pay bills.
This compay also is great for those who have a day job and are looking for extra money in their pocket. I have read many reviews that Outback is clicky, even desk jobs are clicky! Anyone in any job will give a new employee a chance if they prove to be a hard worker rather than a complainer the minute they start their job. Sorry, but serving is not for everyone. Most make it but those who cry to managers the minute they walk into the door or start calling in sick early on do not receive much respect in any work enviroment.
Outback is also good for those who want to become a restaurant manager or owner in the future. Outback really never accepts those who walk in and want to manage even if they have a degree. Most of the managers that work for the Outback have served there while getting a degree and are highly qualified to be doing their job.
Overall, Outback is for those who need flexable hours and are outgoing. Serving is a tough job, in all restaurants we deal with rude and crappy tippers. If that does not sound like your cup of tea do not work in a restaurant period.

From CA — 05/05/2010

Great company with great people.

From orlando,florida — 04/18/2010

The pay is mediocre, i am currently working dish, at around $9.00 hr. Mind you ive been a cook/chef for 7 years, constantly being overlooked by much less experienced transfers, for a promotion to a cooking position. The work environment is very immature, i find that people say things just to try and get you upset or angry. This place very much reminds me of high school, but the workforce is solid aside from a view slackers. I honestly think you need a certain kind of personality, to work at an outback & be able to get along with your coworkers, granted this is a kind of mindless workplace, and at the end of the day every one is just trying to get home.

From Chesapeake VA — 04/14/2010

Personally I love Outback, Ive been a hostess there for 3 months and am already getting compliments from the management. I like in a small town in VA where pay is $2.13 an hour with 3% tipshare. The money is pretty good, I work anywhere from 2-4 days a week making $50 a night in tips and then my pay check usually ends up around $80.00 every two weeks, this job isnt meant for adults. Its more of a teen job, enough to pay for gas and car insurance, and other small expenses. But the work environment is pretty great, we always have friendly servers with small exceptions as with any large franchise. Our managers are very respectful and so is the proprietor. Career growth takes more than a couple months, you have to work there for at least a year in order to move up to to-go and another year to become a server if you have no experiance, but in doing this you know you have the best people working there. The customers are not always great, and we do have a lot of drama with them but that is expected. If you are a teen looking for a decent paying job with decent hours (since your in school) its a pretty good job.

From NC — 03/20/2010

I worked there almost 5 years as a server so I just want to put my two cents worth. Can you make money there, is it great no, but I averaged around $23k-$26k my years there and for my age that money was better than most of my peers. Advancing into management, yes it can be done if you work hard they asked me 5 times if I would....and I declined them five times because if I did take the management job I would have to have worked double the hours to make almost the same amount of money. Compared to most servers at the restaurant I did get a high level of respect from management and yes even the most well respected get screamed at by their boss in this job, it's just the environment, you'll have to get used to it. Job atmosphere is probably the worst thing about the job...you truly see the side of people you wish you never saw when you serve tables, to the customer...you are their own personal slave and if you mess up any one little thing they will either treat you like crap or take it out of your tip. So I left the job for a 1099 job that I do like, work my own hours and I don't have to deal with the BS anymore. However, if you need a job that will make you some money and you honestly have the constant tolerance to wait tables, good luck and go for it.

From Pembroke Pines,Fl — 02/28/2010

I have workedfor this company for 4 years and i still work for this company. Yea there are days where you hate going to work but i think everyone has those days.Its on of the few companies that you can actually make alot of money without to much college even if any.I plan on being a partner for this company one day and they actually give those chances to people the staff at my store is great yes everyone i outgoing but you have to be in order to be a good server so for all you quiet people judging us we are not on crack we just no how to make a shitty situation good and thats how we make our money and have fun with so if your are out going and think you can sell food or for highschool kids who have no job expreience come and apply we hire people with no experience all the time the pay may not be the best but for the most part we dont pay minimum wage. Dont listen to most of these people saying how bad it is most of them are people who were fired for doing something stupid or walked out because they didnt get along with a manager.You will not find a better company to work for if you just try it.

From Saginaw, MI — 11/23/2009

I absolutely loved loved loved my job at OB. The people I worked with were the best, my proprietor is still a good friend of mine, and I will always remember OSI as a company that I would go back to. My only regret is not having the patience for a management opportunity to come along and that I left for another job. I miss all of the Outbacker jokes, meetings when everyone is hungover, Dingo, etc, etc. I keep reading other people's reviews about how "cliquey" everyone was, and I never had that problem. I wasn't there much longer than a month and it felt like forever (in a good way). It isn't for everyone, they expect a lot and you have to put up with a lot of shit, but it was well worth it.

From va — 09/30/2009

I have worked at two different stores. There is a big difference between the two because of the proprietors. With that being said, I still make 2500-3000 a month just waiting tables. If you are a good salesman and a competent server, the money is there. I'm going into management now.