Working at OneBeacon Insurance — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about OneBeacon Insurance pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at OneBeacon Insurance

From San Antonio,TX — 03/12/2010

This is a great company to work for, with excellent compensation & benefits - opportunity for upward professional growth and an excellent work environment in a dedicated specialty business unit. Many old friends/co-workers from another company have come to work here. We're creating a business unit that is fast becoming the best in the industry. The company isn't perfect, but my compensation is better than it ever has been before, the respect that I receive for my knowledge, experience, and skill sets far exceeds what was offered by my previous employer. The benefits are excellent. I no longer have to work under a "management by fear" culture - I feel that job security is excellent...especially since the company has become a dedicated specialty insurance company. My work/life balance couldn't be better. Being part of the team in a growth mode offers opportunity for professional advancement. My location couldn't be better, as a virtual office employee. My co-workers are all very experienced in their respective disciplines and make up an excellent team. The work environment based upon the "ownership attitude" rather than "fear and intimidation" is a breath of fresh air. I'm proud to be a member of the OneBeacon team.

From Denver, CO — 08/15/2009

I work in the Denver office. We have a small but growing office and we have a great cohesive crew.

From Atlanta, GA — 02/27/2008

This is the type of beuracracy that the ancient Greeks talked about. This place is a place holder for your working career. Do not expect to go anywhere with this organization. 1. Job security- Hey this is a corporation, you don't get very much. I have sen the less ambitious stay at this company for 20 years in there present position. So I guess you could say that there is some security in mediocrity. 2. Work/Life balance is actually the better quality feature, see you can not afford a family and to work here so the balance is good. Actually poor people have great balance. 3. Career Potential/Growth - Not a chance. This company thinks growth is defined by the size of your waist line. Your best bet is to pretend to be there physically, while mentally just getting along.

From Canton, MA — 12/03/2007

To be honest, the company seemed like a great place to work - at first! Did my homework, and the organization appeared to be stable (or at least as stable as any other in the current market), growth oriented, with the kind of agressive management style you would expect in a growth oriented environment. The pay and potential bonuses seemed above average, and benefits, work/life balance, respect, etc., were all average to above average for the industry. Then, something "bad" happened...

After only a relatively short tenure with them, the company must have decided that they were expense heavy and decided to close our expansion company, downsizing a significant number of people. Learned later that many more were downsized as well for similar reasons. No indications that this was coming for me - especially after only being on-board for a few months. You would have thought that "someone should have seen this coming" before hiring new employees...

Bottom-line, this could have been a great place to work, but, was never given the opportunity to find that out. No surprise that things change fast in this business, though...

For anyone looking to this (or any) organization as a potential employer, ask ALL the right questions - such as, what are THEIR short and long range plans for growth, and, what kind of stability will exist in your potential position. You may have some great experience and talent to bring to them, but make sure you have some kind of idea how long that may last! Otherwise, you will be finding out much more than you planned about outplacement, job searches, etc...