Working at One Communications — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about One Communications pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at One Communications

From Massachusetts — 10/08/2010

There are some very technically proficient people here and mutual respect does exist between them. Management in technical operations is pretty good for the most part. The politics, red tape and incompetence one has fight through to get things done when dealing with other departments gets very tiring

From Rochester,NY — 05/01/2010

Not a bad place to work in terms of the environment....I would say they do a good job rewarding and acknowledging employees who excel. Of course it has its fair share of micro-managers and slacker employees but what office doesnt? Also the benefits are pretty solid.

I do agree w/ the comment below in regards to the executives blowing sunshine up every ones a$$. They hand out a 1st quarter bonus(barely) and then tell folks in the next breath there are 2 unpaid holidays .A week later there are layoffs. It just seems the executives are always trying to put a positive spin on what seems to be a disastrous financial situation.

All in all I had a good experience here...

From Rochester, NY — 03/09/2010

All in all, One Communications is a pretty good place to work. The managers and individual contributors work hard and are generally very nice, intelligent people. The executive team mostly gets a bad rap -- they're working hard to fix some of the problems that others have cited. I think the Sales group gets the brunt of it and that's where a lot of the dissatisfaction lies, but for the rest of us, things are pretty good considering the tough industry and bad economy.

From Syracuse, NY — 07/05/2007

I started in February in sales. I have mixed things to say about the company. First, let me start off by saying that the company itself is headed in a very very positive direction. The company is growing very healthily and is creating some buzz in the telecom world. There is a good deal of opportunity that will be opening up in the future. The organization is a sales driven organization and is steadily focusing more on the sales force. For an entry level sales position, the base salary is decent.
With that said- lots of growing pains with the company. The company is a result of a merger, and still operates as 3 seperate companies in many ways. Confusing and seperate product sets still exist between legacy companies. While the company does provide value in its products, its telecom, and as a sales rep get ready for some customer service headaches. When there is an issue, finger pointing goes on between Verizon and One Comm as to whose responsibility it is, leaving the customer sitting with a service issue for days, possibly even weeks. As one rep in the office says, afterawhile it gets hard to go out to eat without getting a dirty look from a bitter customer. The sales organization is very demanding, in by 7:30am, often not leaving until 7:30pm. I was screwed over when I came on board. After being told when I asked in interview my territory would definitely be local, I was told on my third day that I would be driving 90 minutes away every day for my territory. This would be forgiveable if the expense allowance was reasonable- 35 dollars a week toward gas/cellphone/parking. I pay $2 a day for parking, burn $500+ a month in gas and pay $80/month for my cell phone. I spend 3 hours a day getting to and from my territory. If you have a local territory, it would probably seem like a completely different job. The company does one week of training in Boston area. Training feels a bit rushed, but it covers the basics. To the company's credit, they are moving toward a lot of organizational changes. I definitely am not staying on any longer than past Labor Day, but in a few years this may actually be a decent organization