Working at Omaha Public Power District (OPPD) — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Omaha Public Power District (OPPD) pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Omaha Public Power District (OPPD)

From Omaha, NE — 01/12/2009

No matter your profession, the pay at OPPD is competitive. If you aren't feeling respected, or your area lacks the potential to grow in your career, the company has so many different departments, you can move around. I have been asked if I will ever leave- as long as I am being paid well for the job I do, continue to be rewarded, and keep growing in my career aspirations, I will stick around for as long as they will have me! Sure I have had my fair share of interacting with other employees who seem to have little competence in their jobs, but their easy to work around. I have not worked at Ft Calhoun or as a security officer, but at the headquarters in downtown Omaha. I worked in the call center and felt somewhat similar to the other reviews, but it was working in a call center that wasn't fun, not the company itself. I hated the night shift. Work/life balance is beginning to really show as the company is piloting flex hours. I am taking advantage of that and love working 4-10s. The company has tons of activities for their employees and families. Every year there is a family picnic, holiday movie event where your kids can meet Santa and we all love the bowling sweeper. There are sports teams and organizations within the company meant to help you meet people and enjoy your surroundings. I think the company is going in the right direction. The only thing I would like to change is moving them somewhere warm :) Did I mention they paid for me to go to college? I recently graduated with my Bachelors, something I would have otherwise never had the opportunity to get.

From Ft. Calhoun — 11/26/2008

The 12's are great! All The time off! Go work at Mcdonalds if you want to see bad benefits!

From Blair, NE — 10/25/2008

Initially, I truly enjoyed security. The training was interesting as well as the people. After time, I started to see the flaws within the department. The flaws that I have witnessed have also been witnessed by others. The officers are well trained and proficient in what they do. The public should not worry about the safety of the plant.
If you are interested in a career in security, then this is a great place to start. You will receive exceptional training. Not saying the trainers are exceptional, the material being taught is.
The officers are paid very well. Security Officers are paid more than the vast majority of local law enforcement agencies.
As of now, the morale is very low. It may be due to the poor schedule or possibly due to the great amount of overtime.
Many officers are looking for the next stepping stone. It is possible to be promoted within security, but it will take many years.
Management is overall ineffective. Members often seem uncomfortable and confused. They seem disconnected from the officers. I truly do not know how some of these individuals obtained these leadership roles.
There are many areas for improvement in security, but OPPD as a whole, is still a great company with outstanding pay and competitive benefits.

From Omaha, NE — 10/21/2008

OPPD is not a bad company despite the negative overtures posted on here. Not to mention truly unprofessional mentioning of names, you should be ashamed of yourself. Many claims have some truth but they are not complete which only shows half the story.

Yes benefits are slowly declining but overall they are still above the market.

No matter what place you work you will always have people who don't like it, Yet they choose to stay there why? Maybe they realize they have it pretty darn good. Yes the union is haven for many who show poor work ethic and those who feel they need to hide yet complain on that matter as well. We all make choices in life some choose to be negative on everything they see or do while those who try to improve or advance are called suck ups or affirmative action poster child. There is an issue on being a women or minority its not OPPD problems is the state of Ne that has allowed it. So instead of sitting back an complaining by the identity of a screen name make an effort get involved and be a productive employee and or citizen.

From fort calhoun — 10/21/2008

dont listen to the negativity.these are the problem people that need to be weeded out of here.i mean come on,cots?24 hour theraputic chairs?meditation?come on get real.quit and go home to sleep.go to a message theropist or get medicated.these are people who dont know what its like in the real work force,getting payed almost next to nothing and feeling the wear and tear on your body with actual physical work. dont like it here then quit i dare you.save us all who actually cares about this place.

From Fort Calhoun, NE — 10/19/2008

Pay for actual work performed is excellent. Respect is minimal with Management making mostly unilateral decisions with little to no input from those affected. This decreases efficiency considerably. Also, individual Divisions and even Departments are run with considerable autonomy with little to no central control. This also contributes to inefficiency and lack of a corporate direction.

Benefits are exceptional for the area and the industry. Insurance is mediocre for a government entity, but excellent compared to investor owned utilities. Sick leave is exceptional by any standard. Job Security is good if you are a Manager. The lower paying workers tend to be viewed as more expendable. This is particularly true with Security Officers, Call Center Workers and Clerks. There is improvement in this area, however. Work / Life balance depends on the intelligence and adaptability of the worker. The higher paid and qualified workers tend to manage better than the lower. Career potential is very limited unless you are one of the "anointed ones". Competence is seldom rewarded. This results in many workers failing to reach their potential. Many departments are staffed with personnel that were exceptional when hired, but who have burned out. I rated competence low due to "functional" competence, not potential. Most FCS workers have very high competence potential if properly led. Work environment is dismal. Due to a near total lack of upper Management understanding of the job functions of their subordinates, work spaces tend to be cramped and unusable for the job function performed. There is an effort to keep things looking spiffy for outside agencies, but workspace functionality is minimal. Work processes are also more geared to "show" rather than actually accomplishing anything.

The Fort Calhoun Station is located 16 miles North of the City of Omaha, Nebraska, making it one of the best situated Nuclear Power Plants in the Country. Most are far more remote, providing fewer opportunities of workers and families.

All things taken into consideration, OPPD is still a very good place to work and to retire from. However, as stated in other reviews, it is not the same company that it was 20 years ago. OPPD seems to be trying to shift from a family environment to a more corporate environment, and that is not good for either the work force or the customers. Even though the Omaha Public Power District is not the employer that it once was, it still remains an excellent place to work. If a person is fortunate to be hired into one of the effectively led Divisions, OPPD can be a dream job. If one is hired into one of the more poorly run Divisions, the pay and benefits still make the job better than most.