Work at Old Navy — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Old Navy pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Old Navy

From Michigan — 11/03/2009

I only read a few of the other reviews but I am SHOCKED that everyone hates working at Old Navy so much! Personally I love working for the company. I started at Old Navy as a sophmore in high school because I needed a part - time job and have been there ever since (I'm a senior in college now). The company is extremely flexible with allowing me to transfer to the Old Navy at my college and back home to my original Old Navy for holidays and weekends. I have to say I like the one at home much more but that is only beause I know the people there so well. Let's face it- retail sucks. But neither places are extremely demading. Whoever says they don't have a life while working at Old Navy is lying- or maybe people really just suck at managing their time. I put in over 40 hours a week and still have a life- the work is NOT that exhausting.

Why I LOVE working for Old Navy:
1) I was hired in at well above minimum wage and although I haven't expected much pay increase, I have recieved pay increases
2) Employee discounts- I shop at Old Navy a lot and the employee discount has improved. Gap makes an effort to take care of its employees
3) I feel like when I work hard it is recognized and I am working towards a group goal. My managers definitely respect me and respect the hard work that not only me, but my co-workers,do
4) I LOVE everyone I work with. I understand that is a conditional reason based on the specific store you work at, your personality, time spent at work, age differences, etc...but the reason I don't mind going in to work is because everyone else is so much fun to work with. I don't know a single person that LOVES working, but when you work with a bunch of people who love working with you, it makes life a LOT easier

Overall I just wanted to back up Old Navy. I don't know why so many people are writing how much they hate it and throwing out "DONT EVER WORK FOR THIS COMPANY" because personally I say, if you have the chance, WORK FOR THIS COMPANY. You have room to move up, you will be paid above minimum wage, you will DEFINITELY, DEFINITELY get the hours you want ( I don't know why people complain about getting asked to work extra--there are people dying out there to even have a job)...so WORK FOR OLD NAVY..it's FUN and rewarding and it's a great first- time job that doesn't demand a lot.

From Enid, Ok — 10/10/2009

Pay is average in this area, but Old navy is very fair about giving well earned raises to employess who work hard. At our store our Manager continuously respects his employees and strives to have the other leaders administer the same equal respect towards the other fellow team members. I am part time so I do not have any benefits. In our store the hrs are available...it is true if you work harder at your job then you get more hrs! That is fair though! We are respected with our availability and have the right to say yes or no to any extra hrs without facing consequences. We are never made to stay past the end of our shift and we are always appreciated when we can help for more hrs. As far as growth is concerned with our store, it can happen if there were openings, if an individual is good at thier job and qualified. Our location is great! We have some co workers who strive every day to do their best and then some that don't think they should do anything that day but show up. For the most part we work great as a team and the positive moral is there everyday. We are allowed to have fun while doing our job! Sure there are ups and downs at any job, but I believe I have a great job and a wondeful manager who does his job and his passion seems to flow over towards others and creates a great work environment. We do great on CES and ONC's, so somewhere the job is going good:)

From NJ — 09/23/2009

My Old Navy store is awesome. I've been there 3 years, almost transferred a few times for other jobs but good thing I stayed. I have had 2 promotions within my store.

We all get along and have fun and that is what makes it a great place to work. While we have some employees who need a push to get things done, or to be taught things over and over, we all know we need to help each other to get the workload done with the amount of hours they give us.

I have read about other stores, but I can only give information on my store. While we are a smaller store (staff of around 30) our store is always very clean and delivers high CES results. (Customer Experience Survey). I always see the same people coming in and we all greet and help them.

Occasionally you get a rude customer but that is to be expected.

Now as for Old Navy Cards, yes you have to ask. But no we don't hound our customers. The reason managers want cards is yes, for business and money, but mainly because they get a bonus for the amount of cards their store opens.

Compensation is better than most retail stores and my benefits are Health, Vision, Dental, and just about everything else. Oh and PTO.

Maybe it's because we have fun, turn up the music, share the workload, all get along, ...but working at my store is a blast.

From Memphis, TN — 09/22/2009

Overall:
I have been working at Old Navy for a year and a half now. I have some good times and some bad times. I don't think that it's the company that is terrible, but I feel as though it's all who you work with. I have one manager in particular who is a complete bully. She's is absolutely awful and just mean. But on the other hand, my GM is totally awesome. The other managers/supervisors are pretty great, too. Although, I must comment on how one supervisor in particular...pretty incompetent. We all just shrug and wonder how she got the job.

Co-Workers:
Some are really great, some are really awful. Like most retail jobs, some associates buddy up with a particular supervisor and have a little "clique." It's pretty frustrating since we're supposed to be a "TEAM." What really happens is, these people buddy up and just simply don't do the work. The incompetent manager I pointed out above actually chewed me out one day for calling in a few times due to a severe sinus infection WITH A DOCTORS NOTE. And yet, she was allowing her "favorite associate" to carry his cellphone on the floor and call in/come in late whenever he pleased. It really drags down the moral of the store. Not to mention the bully supervisor we have. She actually had the audacity to put up a sign in our fitting room that said "The Fitting Room closes at 8:30pm!" Um, no it doesn't. She completely ignores company policy and just makes up her own rules on a whim. She even gave an associate only 10-20 minutes to size an entire department AND watch the fitting room just because she doesn't like the associate. The associate wasn't even supposed to be in the FR at the time. Said manager even had to guts to "tattle" on the associate to another manager. We are all just thinking "WTF!? This person is crazy!"
She is so mean to so many associates. I just don't understand why she has a job.

Pay:
I don't mind my pay. But, after my first year of being "On Target! :)" I only got 14cents. I work so hard and so much that I thought, "Surely I'll at least get the .25 raise." I was wrong. But, I'm still grateful since our min. wage was only like 6 dollars and some change when I started. I definitely feel as though the raises should be a little more generous to those of us who work our butts off for the store.

Work/Life Balance:
I must say, our GM (who handles the schedules) is very flexible and awesome when it comes to needing a certain availability for school and stuff. Our schedules even alternate Fridays and Saturdays for us so we're not stuck working ALL WEEKENDS ALL THE TIME. It's pretty great. And if something comes up last minute, they really try to work with you. If nothing can be done, they're pretty apologetic about it but remain professional. Aside from the two not-so-great supervisors, the other three are pretty on point about understanding the associates. They "get" that we're not doing this for a career, most of us are just trying to work our way through school.

Benefits:
Aside from the employee discount, these don't apply to me as I am part-time.
Growth:
I, personally, wanted to find room to grow. And there was room for me...but I decided to back off so I can focus on my education. There are usually positions open for the employees who wish to "move up" with the company.

Work Environment:
You could probably gather from my comments so far that it's not the greatest environment. As I mentioned, when it's good: it's awesome! when it's bad: it's awful. It varies day-to-day. Which I think is really sad. It's unrealistic to expect to have 100% awesome days, but it should at least be 80% awesome days. Not a 50/50 thing. Respect really plays into this, too.

On a side note:
The thing I hate the most about working at Old Navy is the customers. I don't know if it's just our store or the fact that we're in Memphis or WHAT. But we get some of the nastiest, trashiest people. We also have a consistent ring of shoplifters who hit our store. And if you happen to be a white employee who try to confront the thieves, they respond with a bunch of comments accusing said employee of being "racist" and actually call the employee lots of lovely slurs. After the fact that this crap happens, it's kind of funny and provides a story. But, it's just a sad thing that shouldn't happen.

From syracuse, ny — 06/19/2009

Old Navy in the Syracuse NY area is a great working environment. I love my job every day that I work. My co-workers are great, my supervisor is key to my happiness, as are the customers!

From Rego Park, NY — 02/23/2009

The only reason I liked working there was because of my co-workers. I made a lot of good friends there who I still hang out with after having left the job over a couple yrs ago. The pay was good for a retail store. Most other retail jobs pay about $1.50 less per hr. I think the benefits are decent but they only offer those to full timers, which is extremely rare at Old Navy. In a store of about 40 associates, maybe 3 or 4 are full timers. I don't think anyone was fired due to bad performance, although some should have. I knew of people being fired for theft or bad attendance. Keep in mind, the managers are not CSI agents so, some people were falsely accused of theft and fired. Also they offer cash rewards if you report employee theft that leads to termination, which might encourage some shady accusations. One guy was fired for stealing a co-workers jersey from the breakroom caught on tape, another was fired for eating other coworkers food out the fridge on a regular basis. As a part timer you often get your hours cut if the store isnt doing well. After the holidays you might only work 8 hrs a week. During the holidays you might work 50 hrs a week, and anything over 40 hrs is time and a half so... that check will look real nice. If you can prove that youre capable of opening a lot new credit card accounts, you'll be rewarded with more hours regardless what time of year it is...hence more $ in your paycheck, and sometimes youre rewarded with prizes. The manager may offer movie tickets to the highest producer out of his or her own pocket, which is peanuts in comparison to the bonus he or she will recieve for managing a highly productive store. You will only be promoted from associate by...
1. Never saying no
2. Opening a million credit card accts per day
3. Smiling and harrassing every single customer in the store

Keep in mind, once you become a manager, outside of work...youre not allowed to socialize with all your associate buddies that youve made when you were an associate yourself. Crazy rule right!?! Well its true. If a manager sees that another manager and an associate both requested the same day off next week, the both of you will be investigated, and possibly fired. Don't let any jealous coworkers see the both of you guys hangin out somewhere either cuz you might get reported.

Working every single weekend will drastically limit your family time. Youll never be able to see your neice at her soccer game on saturdays, you will miss every baptism on sunday, along with all the chuck e cheese parties they have. Technically, leaving at 10:30pm, you can still go to a club after work but most likely youll be scheduled to work the next morning, so be ready to work with a serious hangover. I've done it, it sucks. I've seen ppl come into work in the morning straight from the club still drunk. You cant really blame them tho. Someone else on this forum said how they would have to inform mgmt that they would like to go home cuz their shift is over, and often times they will ask you to stay longer and make you feel guilty for saying no. Its a really ugly practice. My advice, take this job and do 1 of these 2 things.

1. Work your @ss off and become a manager as quick as possible then take your manager experience to a better employer. If it takes longer than a year, dont bother. Let your managers know what your goal is and hope they give you realistic feedback.

2. Take this as your 1st or 2nd job as a teenager or college student, then after a few months find a better job. Keep doing this until you retire. The more "serious" your job gets, the longer you stay at that position but, try to keep moving up within 3 yrs at the most, and never burn bridges!

From cape cod, ma — 08/22/2008

I loved working at old navy this summer. Everyone had fun and worked hard as a team, so I never felt on my own.I loved the store manager and my co workers were awesome. I was respected and even part timers could give ideas that would be heard by mgr.I did not make a million or anything but I was fairly paid and was always happy to go to work, we laughed a lot even when it was crazy busy. I was a cashier and sales associate and did not get benefits. I did win some fun prizes while I was there. I will definatley go back and work there on my vacations. I worked at another one in CT and the managers were horrible and I hated it. I took a chance and interviewed at this store and could tell it would be different. You need to work hard and hustle so if you are an outgoing person with some energy- I think this is a fun place to work. As always, the manager makes or breaks the store, so be aware of who you are working for and if they are great, you will have a great experience and you get what you give.

From Knoxville, TN — 01/19/2008

I really like where I work. The managers are easy going and laidback and always willing to help with any problem or concern. Coworkers are friendly. Generally, it's a good place to work at my store.

From Puyallup, WA — 10/12/2007

I love the Old Navy that I work for. I love everyone I work with, which is rare, and it is a great place to work. There is no discrimination towards people, and all of the managers are very nice and fair with everybody.