Working at Old Navy — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Old Navy pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Old Navy

From Rapid City, SD — 09/02/2010

I rated job security low because our store was closed, but that was do to corporate decisions, not the local store. I loved my job here. My managers were awesome, co workers were very helpful, it was a fun and relaxed place to work. I would definately still be there if we hadn't closed. They were more than willing to work around my school schedule, pay was what you would expect from any retail store. Good discount. I know I can't speak for all Old Navy's, but the Rapid City location was great, I have nothing but good things to say about my time working there. I miss it!

From dallas tx — 06/18/2010

I worked for ON for 7yrs.
it was a fun place to work for..
yet there are many politics involved.

i was overlooked for many promotions. the women involved in deciding who got promoted were so 2faced. they only promote their friends. i did get a few promotions: front end sup, customer service sup, and lastly logistic supervisor. but my ultimate goal had been to become a salary manager. from what i hear now, only the GM is salary now.

(it's a good thing i left when i did. i am in a much better company now. and i'm salary and i make commission as well, and soon, i will be getting my own store. and the money is great.....)

i was a really hard worker and i did get top dollar for my work. money was not an issue there for me. i had a way of gettin what i wanted. it was respect.

they seem to hold on to their talent by false promises and ideas. Like, work at the regional store. its good exposure for you. exposure to what, may i ask? those regional people dont give a damn. they only care about their credit card. which is lame and pathic.
the promotions are decided by those same women, and the RM's and DM's eat up the crap they are fed.

in those 7yrs, i saw them loose so much true talent and strong managers. saw them hire really stupid people who had no idea what management was. all this over others who were better qualified.

it's sad because a lot of those individuals who got promoted are no longer in the company. one got fired for dishonesty, another didnt get their way and walked out. so to me it seems that they dont really nurish true talent. they let it go in favor of their friends who they go out and get drunk with. sad.......

i am not discouraging anyone from working there. you do meet some great individuals as well. i had the opportunity to learn so so much from managers who really cared about their jobs. i was trained and taught so much, yet in the end, it caused me great saddness to be overlooked. i dont kiss a$$ so maybe that was hard for those women to swallow.

i believe hard work is what sets you apart and above. its dedication and passion that should count. not whose arse you are kissing. or who you get drunk with.

it makes me sad to see friends of mine who are still there. still holding on to false promises after 10 yrs. not me. i dont play that game.

so if you are good at playing politics, management at ON is your place.

From TN — 04/25/2010

I have worked with ON for a combined total of 5 years. I am currently a Pricing/Marketing Manager. I am expected to complete anywhere from 1,000 - over 6,000 markdowns every week, change out promotional signs at least once a week, LOD, sometimes open or close the store by myself, and maintain our uncontrollable clearance areas. I bust my ass every work day for a measly $9 p/h! Associates make close to what I make and don't do half of the work I do. Its SO frustrating. We have a ridiculously small store - so there is never any storage space. Our store is gossip city and everyone talks about each other behind their back then acts like their best friend to their face. Nobody respects each other. The majority of the employees hate their job but enjoy the discount. Needless to say, I work my butt off for minimum pay and don't feel appreciated. I would not recommend GAP inc. / Old Navy unless you're in high school and just looking for a job to pass the time. I'm working my way out the door to something bigger and better than lame ass Old Navy!

From South Carolina — 04/24/2010

I'm not too sure about the reason(s) the majority of these comments are negative... this is a retail environment! When working for retail you SHOULD expect to work nights, weekends, and holidays; this is common sense. You SHOULD also expect to be required to push a companies credit card, this is how companies gain 'life-long' customers. In the sense of being a sales associates, these are mainly for teenagers in this company because they are quite flexible with school, exams, and other commitments you might have; at least, this is the case at my store. The store where I work is not afraid to fire individuals and will do so. We gained new management within the past 2 years and completely changed our sales, even so much as to where we were nominated to be the first Project One store in our district. We continuously lead sales, ONC, and competitions within our district mainly because each associate and manager is passionate about their job. We have fun outside of work and have fun while we are at work, too. This is the best job that I have had the opportunity of having. Just remember, if you don't like it -- no one is keeping you there but yourself.

From Chicago, IL — 04/12/2010

Pay: For my first job, that i desperately needed, pay was not bad at all. It was about 8/hr and honestly I never found a reason to complain. I worked during the summer, so during holidays like Father's day or Fourth of July, I'd get time and a half, always great.

Benefits: 25% off at Old Navy, 50% at Banana Republic and Gap...

Work/Life Balance: It's very easy to ask for a day off or to switch schedules with a fellow employee

Location: downtown chicago.. what more can you ask for?

Co-worker Competence: Amazing staff, managers very understanding, except for one (there's always ONE!) But overall a very welcoming group of people.

Work Enviornment: I worked in the flagship store in downtown Chicago, by far, the BEST Old Navy I've ever visited. The only organized, clean, and efficient Old Navy I've ever stepped in.

Overall, it is a good job IF you're working with a great group of managers and supervisors who actually care about the customers.

From Vancouver, WA — 02/17/2010

Its really sad to read all of the reviews below mine. I really enjoy working for Old Navy. My managers and co-workers are some of the coolest people. Everyone is really respectful of eachother and we have all fun with eachother. I could see what people are talking about not getting enough hours, but my managers explained to me how the hour process goes, so i get it. I would definately recommend working for Old Navy if anyone is looking for a job. You just have to have a good attitude, get along with others and just be a happy person.

From West Virginia — 02/12/2010

working retail sucks... working at Old Navy doesn't. Well-organized, fair, and fun. Love my coworkers and the managers aren't tyrants. GAP Inc. has their stuff together!

From New Hartford, NY — 12/31/2009

I have worked for several different retail and really feel the differeance with Old Navy. When I has hired I wasn't promised alot of hours. In fact they told me in the begining I could get as little as 4 hours a week but in time I would recieve more. I always work between 18-30 hrs a wk. Even in the begining. I feel I have recieved fairly adequate training, more then most places give anyway. And the communication door is always open. If I have a question about something my managers and co-workers are willing to help. I also feel that my managers create a friendly work enviornment. At some places I have worked in the past, the managers created a hostile work place and people were afraid to ask questions and I can recall a time where someone had a death in the family but was to afraid of the manager on duty to ask for the day of to go to the funeral.

I don't feel that way at Old Navy. I feel like we're a big family. Ya sure we have some issues, but I'm not going anywhere anytime soon. I realize not all Old Navy's are like this, but I feel I have lucked out because I really enjoy working with my co-workers including my managers. I even like them more than I like my actual family.

From San Jose, Ca — 11/23/2009

I have been working at Old Navy for 3 years, I do like it, I just wish there was room to grow within the company without having to be merchandisers or signage only. Managers are great and respect employees, but i hate the fact that they worship the people who get ONC's more than those of us who work our butts off on the sales floor.

From Gilbert — 11/18/2009

Like most folks, I was unemployed and desperate for a job. I hit the pavement and applied to Old Navy. I've worked in retail before and was really not expecting a super awesome job. Come on, it's retail. I've been here for less than a month. Management keeps mentioning if you work hard then you might, just might be able to work past the holiday. So not my dream.
Overall some members of management are extremely unorganized. I received a call 2 hours before new hire orientation was to begin. Then this week, I was told that I had to come in on my day off for more training. Since it training wasn't appended to my schedule, I assumed it was my day off and made plans for my other part-time job and the place I do volunteer work. Sadly, I had to tell them that I can't come in. Then we had a mandatory meeting on a Sunday night from 6-9 p.m. When we got there we were told we had to help straighten the store. I could only stay for an hour, but folks were still straightening when I left. Not even sure when they got out of there.
From what I've seen, most of the folks are friendly and willing to help you out. Some are a little too serious about stock and shipment. Thankfully, I won't be working the register - yay!!! Just slinging shipment and restock.
The worst part are the customers. It's like parents lose their ability to watch their children because they're blinded by the awesome deals. And others thing they can be rude to you because you're just a retail sales associate. Little do they know I have an advanced degree and prior to the economic meltdown, was a computer programmer at a Fortune 500 company. So, suck it!
Without a doubt, the store is incredibly dirty, a constant mess and folding is an exercise in futility. If you like mundane, tedious work where you don't get to exercise your brain, then ON is for you.