Working at Olan Mills Church Directory — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Olan Mills Church Directory pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Olan Mills Church Directory

From Chattanooga, TN — 07/10/2010

I have been with the company for about 2 years. The negative comments I see here do not reflect my experience at all. The majority of the folks I have met that work as a photographer or portrait consultants seem happy, upbeat, a number of them have spouses that serve as ministers or pastors. Many have been with Olan Mills for 15, 20, 30, and even 40 plus years! With the exception of one or two, everyone I've met and worked with has been bright, cheerful, helpful, and kind. Yes, there is a lot of travel involved. On any ad I've seen, it says right up at the top: Road Warrior. At interviews I've been in, and been a part of, it is made crystal clear that there is a LOT of travel.

Someone mentioned the photography. About the time I came to work the company began to focus on creative photography. It is really up to the subject and the photographer. You can be VERY creative, plus with the equipment given, you change lighting, create silhouettes, just about anything you can think of. Of course any group photography is going to have some repetitive poses.

Is this a job for everyone? Of course not, no job is! But I don't think it is right to trash the company because the job doesn't fit you. I love my job, I have more respect here than anytime I've worked for someone else, and the better I do my job, the more I make. Yes, there are occasionally issues, but there are in any job, even when you are self-employed. One more thing that makes this a perfect fit for me is that I really like being able to help a church connect members to members. I feel as if I am making a positive contribution to each church and each family. And I love it when a family (at least once a day I hear this) tells me the only professional photography they have ever had done is when their church updates their directory. Or when someone pulls out a family pose taken at their church 10, 20, 30, 40, years ago!