Working at OfficeMax — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about OfficeMax pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at OfficeMax

From CA — 02/06/2009

OfficeMax.. What an experience that was.. A good one at that though! I worked at the company for quite some time at the store level.

Pay: If you want to work in office supply retail, work at officemax. Their pay is above that of Office Depot and Staples for most if not all part time positions. This is due to the fact they are a smaller company but do keep in mind I felt it was "harder" to get hired at officemax than depot or staples due to this.. Which is a good thing!

Respect: Where I worked the store manager was AWESOME. Very compassionate man. The supervisors can push Maxassurance but its their job so they have to do it. Its up to you if you wanna fall suit.

Benefits: Dunno, I was part time.

Job Security: As long as you don't do something stupid your good.

Work Life: They are very flexible if you have another job or school.

Career Growth: If you wanna move up in the store you have to eat and breath and live officemax. One slight glimpse of "ugghh why do i have to do this attitude" won't get you there. You gotta put on a front while your there if you wanna move up. It makes sense if you think about it..

Location: Close by in most counties.

Co workers: Cool group of people for the most part. But again HUGLEY depends what store you work at. Every retail store always has that one HOT chick. Mine didn't :(

From Polaris, OH — 11/08/2008

Pay: I was hired straight into the company at well over my state's minimum wage. With my previous sales experience as well as knowledge I feel I was hired in at a great hourly wage. If anything, at first, I was overpaid.

Respect: I would definitely say that at my store I have a lot of respect, even as an associate. My co-workers will ask me if I am in the area what to do and most of the time I can get them to go above and beyond. A few need a kick in the rear but for the most part they listen to me and let me remind you I'm one of the newer hires. The newest hires listen to me and I've helped train the one associate who is turning out to be a great salesmen, coworker and associate. The other, I've taught her a lot as well and she's fitting in absolutely great. It makes me sad when I don't work with them because we work like a well oiled machine. If a manager isn't available, other associates ask me what to do in terms of customer issues, cash register issues, etc. 75% of the time the managers will confide in me, ask for my opinion, etc.

Benefits: I've just recently been promoted and will be getting benefits but everything is offered to you in terms of medical, dental, etc. The YTO will be really nice to have as well as knowing that I will be scheduled at least 32hrs. Being a manager I'm sure I'll be working at least 40, however.

Job Security: I've never been worried about my hours or losing my job with the company. I took a full time job as an office manager for a local company and a few times was asked to come back and work my "full-time" hours. Now that I'm promoted, with my particular job I don't see how I would be cut as a loss from the company because unlike a lot of positions within a company, they've already reorganized and you really do need my job haha.

Work/Life Balance: I have one day a week I requested off to spend with my wife, every week. Any time I need the weekend off to go visit family, switch hours or anything, they let me - within reason. Yeah, they call me on my days off when someone calls off but what job doesn't? If I don't have anything going on I go in. If I'm busy they understand and don't penalize me or give me attitude. Some of us even hang out after work when we close sometimes.

Career Potential/Growth: I've run into the "not wanting to hire within the company" but with that I got "but I think you have potential and that you are the best candidate for the job". I've been promoted just recently and have only been with the company since March of this year. Given there haven't been but maybe two opportunities for advancement, I would say that's very good.

Location: The OfficeMax I work at is literally right behind my apartment, give or take 300 feet. Otherwise, there are stores in about a 15mile radius. Does it worry me with so many stores being close? A little but at the same time they are getting the volume they need to stay open and there isn't any competition amongst them in terms of customers and the stores losing sales.

Co-Worker Competence: I work with four real morons that are lazy as all get up and everyone else i awesome. I would say that the rest I could probably trust with my life if need be. The new hires are excellent, jump right in and are ready to go. We help each other in terms of coaching for sales and by joking/picking on each other, the day goes by quicker. The management reorganization was a good thing as all of the incompetent managers went "BYE BYE!".

Work Environment: I think that the store is fairly clean all the time. Management does an excellent job in keeping up with work orders, etc. The only thing I would like is a better vacuum cleaner to help with the appearance of the store and otherwise it needs interior painting. Management from in store through district is awesome. The DM is a great guy, HR is awesome and "LP" is great as well. They all know me by now I believe and are very easy to talk to. Same with in store management. If there is something we need for a task, we just store use it being that it's within good reason. All in all I work at a really great store and really like my job. So much that I really did quit that full time office manager job to come back.

As for attachments, MaxAssurances and CtrlCenters? The people complaining about management getting on them don't know what they are doing and it's obvious you don't either. That's not your fault. Your management team should be training you properly and you should know when, how and what to provide to the customer. You recommend a MaxAssurance but as a replacement/service plan. A customer is looking to purchase anti-virus for their new laptop or old PC, you show them PC Guardian or PC Restoration and later the McAfees, Nortons and AVGs. It's about presentation, knowledge and knowing how to build rapport and work WITH the customer. Find their needs and make it so they don't shop anywhere else but instead come into the store looking for you. I love working for OfficeMax and when I'm finished with my degree would like to continue working for them at the Corporate level.

From Polaris, Ohio — 07/03/2008

Pay: I started as my first job for $7. The following year I was bumped up by "the largest raise they have" of 4%. About three months after that, I got a job at Staples for $8.50... they matched. I transfered to another Office Max. Went from $8 (took several months off... etc...) to $10 within a year (started in May, $10 by January) and since then have jumped up several times to over $14. I've always made more than my friends my age and it seems that if you do your job and help others do their jobs then the District Managers will take care of you. Plus, they don't shy away from overtime at my store so I get a healthy raise in pay from that. Also, the replacement plans and such -- if you really buy into them, you can make a lot of money off of them... in the range of a $3-$4 raise per hour.

Respect: Is great from within the store. If your store is performing then you get it from all sides. My manager has gone off a few times but in most cases if there is an issue with what I am doing it is as simple as explaining it to me.

Benefits: I have the option for dental and all that but don't do it. I just take the YTO which gives me about 28 days off a year. That's not too shabby considering they are all paid.

Job Security: Recently went through a huge restructure in which they removed a LOT of incompetent managers. I can honestly say that my district at least carries what I see as the best of the best managers -- as opposed to having that idiot. Nonetheless, that restructure hit my job security bar here. I've never worried about being fired, and definitely don't worry about the company failing (they are just becoming bigger and bigger and bigger). In my area, since being in Columbus for two years, I've seen 7 stores open and three more on the way.

Work/Life Balance: I am a full time employee and college student. I keep up with school work, go to work for 40+ a week and still have time to see my friends. The job isn't stressful so I have no real issues with leaving work upset.

Career: I've stepped from associate to KCS now. I know that when I finish college that there is a cushy corporate job that'll I'll probably take. If you work for the company and really help them meet there goals, you'll move up.

Location: I drive the extra distance by choice. There is an OMax closer but it is a lower volume store. I picked the highest in the market as it is much easier to get noticed.

Co-workers are awesome. Our store does a good job of getting rid of bad people and keeping the good.

Work enviroment is excellent. Part of your job is selling Replacement plans and our CTRL Center services. The thing is that if you do it right they are really really really EASY to sell and on top of that you make money off of selling them.

Overall, it is a great company to work for. I work here because I choose to. I've been offered other positions for slightly hire pay but stay where I am because in the end, I enjoy my job.

From North Carolina — 04/03/2008

To be positive I worked at Officemax for four years. Started out as a cashier knowing nothing at all..first job. The two dollar +/- variance never concerned me though. I rarely made a money mistake. I worked through high school non stop even with sports, games, and school. I never complained though. My starting salary seems low now at the time it was more than all of my friends. There was a problem when i didnt get a raise for almost two years but then after seeing how upset I was I was given a substantial raise to compensate. Siince then I had regular raises and was very pleased with my pay.

Respect: Ive worked for a few different stores and all I can say about that is it depends on the people our working with. My last store was by far the best...and my first the worst.

Benefits are awesome..Love having YTO...and the Insurance etc. is all good

Job security...Not sure about the business it seems to be making a huge turn around but I felt safe being that I knew pretty much everything there was to about the store

Work life balance I worked more than I should. What Life?

Career Growth..No doubt that I could have went somewhere just chose not to.

Location..Nice in town.

Co worker competence All first time jobs so they really didnt know much either

work environment...overall good

From San Antonio, TX — 03/14/2007

Better than most retail jobs, easy to get along with employees, smaller store size means you actually know everyone you work with. Management really wants you to succeed. Overall, I'm very happy with OfficeMax.