Working at Office Max — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Office Max pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Office Max

From West Springfield,MA — 04/14/2009

I worked for Officemax for 5 years. I started as an assistant manager the promoted to GM. The comany closed all the stores in the Northeast which is why I no longer work there. The company was a great place to work. I had 3 different DM's and 2 were great while one was a torture. The one DM that was horrible had a self esteem issue or something. She ran her district with an iron fist with threats of firing but the company would never allow a termination unless it was warrented. The benefits were great and the pay on the high side for managers. Work life balance was actually rather good all year, the only time it was tough was during back to school but i rather do that then deal with Christmas which wasn't a big selling time for us. We would have extra payroll for the selling associates and this helped with the extra rush of that holiday selling season. Too bad they left the area, hopefully someday they return. If you can get a management position take it. The numbers the company is big on are your average ticket and maxassurance sales. There is pressure but not enough to make you lose sleep or stress at home. If your a hourly associate I guess your happiness depends on your managers and how they treat there employees.I gave them a -5 for job security because the store I ran had 12 years left on the lease and the store still closed (plus most of the stores in the norheast closed). When they annouced the closings all the DM's had to travel to all their stores on the same day to ell he GM's that the stores were closing in 3 weeks. That was sad.

From St. Augustine, FL — 12/01/2008

First off let me start out by saying I no longer work for the company (and yes I left on good terms). I worked for Officemax in highschool and I loved it! I had fun at work I was treated with respect and they worked around my school schedule no matter what. The Management staff was great and I got along well with all of my co-workers. Some of the decisions that corporate made didn't make much sense but at my level I didn't really care. I started out as a cashier making 6.00/hr and I worked there for almost 3 years and when I left I was making 8.00/hr. I was given more responsibility through the years and I enjoyed it very much. Kudos to Jay!

From Belleville, IL — 08/27/2008

Well, I have my mixed feelings for OfficeMax... I have been with them for only a 6 months or so, but overall I already see what I like and what I don't. Pay is minimum wage or $7.75 in Illinois when you start out. Once a year you might get a raise if your lucky so say the older co-workers. As for respect, despite what I have read from other people is actually very good. I may have gotten lucky and got the good managers, but they really do care about my work and home life, especially if I'm not as happy as I am normally. The managers are very socialble, so it works in my favor. The other co-workers are also nice and caring towards me, and tell me good job, or congradulations when I do something good like sell a Maxassurance or get a Maxperks sign up. As for benefits, being part time there are none, but supposedly you are insured for 10,000 life insurance if something happens to you at work? Job Security is lousy right now, but mostly due to the economy and not of employee's doing. The stupid corperate is more naggy then the management, and when the corperate doesn't like something, unfortunetely that is what the managers have to go with, so if corperate decides it don't like you for some reason, then you'll be out the door with a pink slip in no time, or you payroll dropped to 0, which ultimately causes you to resign.

As for work/life balance, I have to say that I have a very good store and scheduler that as long as you warn them about something coming up, or that things are a little rough in your life and you'll need to take some time off on short notice, they understand, and will 99% of the time try to work with you. What drives them mad is when you don't show and give no notice. As for potential career and job growth, don't count on it! It's retail! If you get a promotion or raise consider yourself lucky. But as most people say there are far better places to advance your career, and there is yes, believe it or not worst places to expand your career. Location is great since the store I work for is only a mile or 5 mintue bike ride from my parents house where I live. That's wonderful, since even though I'm 21 years old, I don't drive, nor have a license. Co-worker competence is fairly good, there is some co-worker competitions between each other for who can sell the most MaxAssurances (replacement/service warrently plans), get the most retail to impress conversions, maxperks, etc... At least with my store, co-workers are for the most part willing to help you if you need it, but some are forgetful and forget to do things, or say that they will get to something and not do it, but 8 times out of 10 it's for a good reason. The work environment is not great, but it ain't bad. I have seen better and I have definitely seen a lot worse. It often depends on who last "cleaned" the store and recovered the merchandise.

Perhaps my biggest complaint is that the corperate headquarters is cheap and picky about how they want things done. For example, cashiers aren't allowed to touch the touch-screen or use the keyboard to select merchandise when making returns/exchanges. All return items MUST be SCANNED by hand!!! I suppose that's understandable, but the fact that they will write you up for not doing it properly a couple of times is lame. Also everything must be scanned when making a regular transaction... You cannot use the quantity key even though you physically counted each item. Failure to do so will result in a write up... Also they can't get there money straight. On time the drawer was ten dollars short and I almost had to take the blame because somebody doesn't know how to count the safe and drawers right at store open. Luckly they found the issue, and I didn't get in trouble, but I can image that this isn't a first time nor the last time that will happen.

I also "love" (love as in the terms hate it) when the corperate seems to pick on certain people just because they don't like how you act or behave a certain way. They literally want all of their employees to be like Borgs and have no emotion or show any feeling even if the customers are screaming in your face, or on the same token if your happy because you really thought you helped customer reach the best business solution. It's a bit conflicting. The company states that they want to hire people that are unique and diferent, but then they get on your case when you even show a hint of individuality. Makes no sense what so ever to me. Lastly like everyone else as said before, the corperate does give outagous sales goals usually double or triple of what the store normally brings in on a good day and expects 30% of those sales to have a Maxassurance plan attached to them. Like that's possible considering the economy and gas as well as the unstable world among other things. Sounds like the corperate headquarters really needs to get it's heads together and decide what kind of company it is trying to run. It's no wonder they cannot compete with Office Depot or Staples. At least those companies seem to know where they are heading and where they want to be at. So in a nutshell, OfficeMax is a confused company which has no idea what it wants to do, and probably won't last more then a few more years, but if you really need to get a job, or simply cannot find work anywhere else, then its better then nothing. At least you might get lucky and get hired into a store where at least the storm managers and co-workers care about you even if the corperate could quite honestly care less about you or their company for that matter.

From Michigan — 01/09/2008

I must say that the job I have is pretty awesome. The pay is nice(for me anyway). Everyone in my work is super nice and they tolerate me pretty well because I ask a lot of questions and help (and I usually get it.) The bad part about it is that I'm still trying to get comfortable, but it's hard when you are the youngest one working there and everyone else is much older. But besides that, I love it. I really do. I probably would have been better off with the online training as well because I didn't really learn anything. Every single manager there and supervisor and Co-worker are very professional, but not too strict. And that's why I love it. In my opinion, it's a great place to work. Oh and also our work is very customer oriented, which I love because all jobs need to be customer based, but in some cases, businesses only care about making the money not the people.