Working at Office Depot — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Office Depot pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Office Depot

From Boise, Idaho — 02/16/2010

The downtown store is in a terrible location. It seems corporate picked it believing we would do well because of all the downtown offices, but now that Office Depot is all about tech sales, we are bombing. No one wants to drive downtown to buy a computer or a desk - most people are not aware of our loading dock, and simply think of the inconvenience of parking (since we have maybe five parking spaces out front, and the rest involves a long walk and the parking garage.)

Pay is not great - you will probably get minimum wage, unless you're very qualified, but for the work you have to do, it is not enough. You get a 10% commission on protection plan attachments, or more if your store does better, but that usually amounts to maybe 0.85 a paycheck - unless you're a member of tech depot, selling computers.

Respect is relative. Make the best of the situation as you can - the managers aren't GREAT, but they're doing a job just like you are. If you keep that in mind, you might not lose your sanity. You get what you put into it. One manager there is making it their job to make the work environment a pleasant one, but everyone else just wants corporate off their asses.

Benefits are okay, you get certain insurance plans after only 30 days of working with them. I'm not sure on all the specifics, but there's some fine print involving a waiting period for treatment on certain health issues.

Work/life balance is pretty good - if you need a day off, request it as far in advance as you can. Regardless, they're very willing to work with you on hours if you have school or other priorities. They haven't yet failed to give me the number of hours they promised me at day one - but expect to work for the hours.

The downtown store has such a high turnover, they aren't likely to fire anyone - but you will get yelled at if you don't do the work they expect of you, which includes high-pressure sales tactics (although they swear up and down that this is not their policy.) Expect to attach everything, and practice your sales techniques - even though you probably haven't been trained to do them. Office Depot offers no real sales training - ask your fellow employees for help if you feel comfortable.

Co-workers are fairly competent. Haven't had an issue yet. You may come across someone who's a bit cranky, but where doesn't that happen? It ain't no loving family environment, that's for sure, but it isn't the 9th circle of hell either.

Work environment would be better if it weren't for the location and the expectations placed upon you.

From Pittsburgh, PA — 09/30/2009

I went into Office Depot expecting the worst. I hadn't had any luck finding any sort of meaningful work so I took it up only as a stopgap. It turned out to be a decent little gig for the short time I was there.

The pay is as expected for any basic retail position - minimum wage. They also give you the opportunity to earn commissions by selling Protection Plans & Tech Depot services, which I guess is nice. You can get a couple hundred extra in commissions each month if you're good at selling.

The managers treated me respectfully most of the time even when I was careless and I appreciated that.

The benefits were non-existent, but then again I only worked part-time.

Job security, at least at the OD I worked at, is pretty good once you're in. If you're willing to work (and sell the services) you'll have your job there. They have a high turnover rate because they go through a lot of lazy bums who don't show up, call off, screw around, et cetera.

They were pretty accommodating of my schedule. I wasn't given ridiculous hours and I was able to talk with the store manager about what would be convenient for me. It was a nice change of pace. The standard policy is that you have to provide two weeks' notice before taking a day off, but they made exceptions for me.

They told me I would be made a manager in 6 months if I stayed there because I'm extremely knowledgeable about technology. The problem with that is that OD is an absolute trainwreck at the corporate level and I'd probably hang myself if I had to deal with them all the time. When the district manager came in, for instance, he either watched us like he was waiting for us to make mistakes or sat on his fat ass in the manager's room. Not ONCE did he help us out with any of our day-to-day duties: talking to customers, cleaning up the store, et cetera. Corporate is more concerned about meeting statistics and pushing extras most people don't need or want. That, I guarantee, will be their downfall if things don't change.

The location for my OD is absolutely horrible. It's tucked away in a remote, practically invisible corner of a plaza where all of the important stores have gone out of business. It wasn't unusual for me to talk with 10 or less customers in a single day. Well, at least I always had a place to park!

The people who had been at OD for a while knew what they were doing. They knew the answers when I asked them questions...except when it was about technology. Since most people with actual technical knowledge are doing more rewarding work, they turned to me for tech questions.

Corporate nagged the managers about pointless crap and the managers then nagged us, respectfully, about it. We have this "mystery shopper" program, for instance, and you get graded apparently based on all the stuff you're "supposed" to do. For example, you get penalized if there's not a "sales xpert" (that's an actual position, BTW) standing at the front of a store holding a clipboard. You're supposed to push the Protection Plan on customers before they even agree to buy the item...then, when they check out, you're supposed to try and sell them ink, toner, paper, and stamps. Good grief, just let them come in, buy, and leave! Quit being so pushy!

The store itself is in bad condition. The soap dispensers in the bathrooms don't work, the appliances in the break room are filthy, and some of the security equipment is busted so they can't put certain items on display. Here's what's really funny - corporate doesn't care about any of that. Not even the security equipment.

If I had to sum up Office Depot in a sentence, I'd say this: corporate has their heads up their asses and the store workers are decent people. Please, give the guys in the stores slack if they try and load you up with extras. Corporate makes selling the grossly overpriced Protection Plans and Tech Depot services a necessary part of employment and if you don't sell them, you get the boot. They're just trying to keep their jobs.

From Charlotte, NC — 09/20/2009

I have worked for Office Depot Business Solutions Division for almost 5 years in several different cities. Pay is awful but you work from home and everyone leaves you alone. . Tons of reports and the managers are very tenured and do not help at all. But I think its a really fun job and have loved it. Its time for me to personally move on b/c there is NO growth opportunity. Getting paid a bonus check is playing a guessing game, they find a way to screw you out of them so watch out. Car allowance was just reduced this year and benefits are with aetna. Working from home causes you to work into the night sometimes. but the atmosphere is upbeat even know the managers have no idea what they are doing!!

From Seattle, WA — 07/22/2009

I have worked for office depot for over 4 years, and so far I have been pretty happy. Maybe that is because I dont plan on staying forever so I know this is just a job to get me by for now. The pay is okay, if you dont want to become a manager like I do not, it isnt the greatest, and only a 30 cent raise or so once a year doenst make it a high paying job. The respect I received was fine. I never felt disrespected, and when I moved to Seattle and transferred to a store here, that level increased because I was well trained and taken for granted at my first store. Benefits are expensive and not awesome. Job security, if you are not a manager as long as you do your job and dont whine, you have a job. Work/life balance is tough. If you are a manager that seems non existent. Regular employees often put in a lot of extra time also on days off to help get the store back in shape after a long bout of cut hours. Career growth, if you are in Spokane, where I started, its horrible. You will be waiting a long time for career growth. When I moved to Seattle I became a css2 in less than a month and got an almost $2/hr pay raise. The bad part is, its slow going now because I dont want to be a manager. Location, neutral. co-worker competence was great! I have had many great co-workers and managers. There are a few bad apples, but I have been lucky. Work environement is decent in my opinion. You come to work, put a smile on your face and people smile back! Its all about attitude! Overall, I think the problems are in the upper management. Being a lower level manager sucks! Being a regular associate with no goals further in the company and content to be in a pee on job, its great!

From Pittsburgh — 02/12/2009

In the overall retail sector this job is better than places like Wal-Mart, Kmart and Kohls; operational tasks are implemented that allow you time to actually give good customer service. Office Depot paygrades exceed what these other retailers are paying and there is potential to boost your pay by selling initiatives. The quality of associates exceeds competitors like Staples who have undeveloped, poorly trained and immature organizations. I have worked for Office Depot for a while and have been treated respectfully by Management. Office Depot, like any reputable company rewards people who have a good attitude, do their job and execute company programs.

From Reno,Nevada — 11/30/2008

Well, I started working for Office Depot almost a year ago now, I was unsure of how it was going to workout but my best friend got me the ticket in. I scored very high on the TSD and was giving an interview the very next morning. A week later I started there. The pay is alright, respect is what I would expect from the management group very fair, understanding in the aspect of if you need time off and if you need to leave early or what not, and lets not forget considerate of how much work is done. The benefits as full-time CSS-1 Stock Associate are great. I started out as a cashier which went great because a couple days later I was promoted to their morning stocker which worked out better for me because I like to have the rest of the day to visit with family and friends. The one thing that matters most of this job is that in this time of crisis with the economy its really important to keep working hard to maintain as many hours as I can, because as slow as it is now the less sales each store has which mean less hours for each store depending. The location is great its only 15 minutes away so not a bad drive. My co-workers are great whatever needs to get done is done in a timely fashion without question which is how I work manager tasks are done first without question before my own. Everyone works great with each other and everyone pulls their own work load so no problems there. The work environment is great, clean, faced up, and organized to how I expect the store to be. If there is one thing I could give to other employees of Office Depot, it would be: Just keep working hard and keep striving to deliver the best you can.

From Chicago, IL — 07/21/2008

I started working at OD in April.

I was really shocked to find how nice and awesome all the managers are.
I got started off at $9.00, because I am MOUS certified, and Xerox certified.
The managers here really cater to your schedule, And if you need more hours they have your back.
Because i am under 18, im not allowed to carry boxes, use a box cutter or work on the floor, so im Front End and DPS. This makes me feel like a kid but eh,I can deal.!!!
We are all really good friends and act as if we were long life friends, this really helps because we all work together.
If you really like your job you will love it.
The location is ok, we are a high shrink store :/ so we are really on the lookout.
When you get there, you chill in the break room then go to work when your scheduled.
I think this store runs good, like a family.

From Alexandria, LA — 07/16/2008

This was my second job. I grew interested working there because my brother worked there for 3 years. And, he got very good benefits and respect. I started work in Feb. of 08, been there ever since. I've made amazing friends.. the managers are so nice nad understanding. I'm starting college in August. They are willing to work with your schedule. Our store manager believes that Education comes first. This is a great thing for me.

The pay is okay.. After a year you get a raise. So, I'm almost there.
The location is great.. only a 20 minute drive for me.
I usually have time to spend with my friends and have some time off. It's nice. Even though they tend to cut hours back ALOT .
I love the fact that our management will walk all the women out to our vehicles at night. Or they will get fellow male co-workers to watch us. I feel so safe!!

Its really not a bad job. I enjoy it. Even though back to school is starting again.. and all the crazy parents are coming in. AH!

From Pensacola,Florida — 12/12/2007

The pay is ok. im a CSS-II, its nothing to brag about but ive been paid less. my store manager thinks i do a great job, but my district manager (who's office happens to be at the store i work at) hates me. he's always got something to say about me to my SM. luckly my SM backs me up because he knows that i bust my butt on the floor. my co-workers (in my dept) are lazy, so because i have no managerial athority they wont listen to me, and none of my managers like confrintaion so they leave it alone. our store hours have been cut in half since i started in 2005. i mean how are you supposed to run a store on 500 hours. i mean its impossible to do frieght, POG's, End Caps, sell 100% MB, assist every customer 20/20, and anything else when there is only 2 people in the department a day, and they are split shifts. i loved working for office depot when i first started, now im not so sure, i hope things start to turn around.or it may be time for a new job

From New Jersey — 09/18/2007

This was my first job ever and I loved it. The company at the time (1999) had some different policies that it followed versus today. I have to thank that job for giving me the support and structure that i may have needed at the time. The pay was decent for starting off. benefits if you wanted them were very good... Overall I enjoyed going to work and working with my co-workers. I made several friends there as well as brought several friends to work with me. Unfortunetly the company downsized and they closed the store we worked for(which we all felt was a major mistake in our eyes). The bright side was they took care of most every employee with some type of compensation.

However I went back to work for the company about a year later and was not happy at all. I was promised management positions health coverage and all these different aspects but nothing was followed through. This was more of a store management issue versus a corporate. I ended up being worked like a dog and basically yelled at otherwise. The companies ethics and pride were just not there. The stores used to pride itself on being perfectly set up at all times, clean neat, with top notch customer service.... if any of these things lacked you were looking at getting into serious trouble. They changed their way of thinking more towards a fill the shelves with whatever you can just to fill it, don't worry about the customers we have a big selection and a better layout. Since I have left the company they have continued to go down hill with the ethics that they used to have. I feel they should look at what they had in the past and how it really did help the company.

Long live store # 622 We even were the store of choice of the safety video... (before the computer web training things)