Working at Ocean State Job Lot — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Ocean State Job Lot pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Ocean State Job Lot

From MA — 05/30/2010

In today's economy, I am so relieved to have a job that I am not worried about losing. Job Lot is a great store and runs a successful business. I know that I (as well as other fellow job lot employees) do not have to worry about being laid off. Sure work isnt perfect, if I ran this company I bet I could think of a million things to change! Like the back rooms could always be cleaner, and we're always getting over whelmed with freight from the warehouse....but when you step back and think about it you will have a lot to complain about no matter where you work. I started with this company as a cashier and have worked my way up to a front end supervisor. I have the potential to be an assistant manager if thats something I want to do. I've been with the company for 6 years and to date have not had a bad experience with any of the mean people you all keep talking about from the office. To be honest with everyone here... the only thing I dislike about my job is having to work with half of the rude and bitter people who have posted terrible things about job lot on this site. Why dont you go and talk to some friends who have been laid off from their jobs and cant find work! Tell them all of your problems... I'm sure they'll care. Thanks Job lot! For all of us that appreciate it, keep up the good work.

From providence ri — 03/14/2010

I've worked for Ocean State Job Lot for over 15 years and am PROUD to say so!! When ever I tell anyone where I work they always say " I love that Store" . I just finished reading every review on the company and am sorry that so many people are dis -satisfied with their jobs there.
I have worked in retail all of my working life, for very large retail corporations, where nobody higher than the manager in your store knew your name or cared to know it.

My experience with Job Lot has been incredibly warm. I have met all the principles of the company, and some of their children at one time or another in the store and they have always been respectful and kind to me.
I would also like to commend our new RM. She is a fantastic addition to the team. She takes the time to remember everyones name and always has something nice to say to the associates. She actually rolled up her sleeves to help with a office machine problem last week. I appreciated the effort!!

I understand that associates do not like rules, but the attendance and punctuality program is fair for everyone.
There is no gray area. Everyone has to follow the same program. No room for favoritism!!

I guess if I had one complaint, it would be the seasonal cut in hrs every year, I understand that the business slows down, but our lives as associates don't...we still have rent, mortgages, food bills, medical bills etc.

All in all I hope Job Lot stays strong and continues to grow...job security for those of us that love the LOT!!

From Worcester — 03/07/2010

Job Lot has changed my life. I have nothing but positive reviews to say about this company. "Job" well done.

From Massachusetts — 01/27/2010

I have been employeed with Job Lot in the stores for a long time - more then 10 years and it is bother
some to read the negative comments on the company. There is no perfect company in the retail
world and every company is only as good as the face the Store Manager and Supervision puts on it.
The owners of Job Lot go out of their way to ensure the associates and management have a voice.

What company surveys their associates each quarter and actually pays attention to what they say?

What company surveys their Store management to see what they think of their Field Supervision?

What company purchases condo's in New Hampshire for Management to use free of charge to
give Management with families who may not be able to vacation or afford to go away the opportunity
free of charge.

What company gives free health care? It's a good plan, good enough that the owners of the
company have the same plan as the associates. All salaried management get free
health care on the first of the month after they start and Hourly Associates qualify for
reduced health insurance after 6 months and free after 1 year of service.

The answers to all are Job Lot. I don't write and say that frustrations don't come with the job but
what job has no frustrations. The company has been growing for the entire time I have been with
them and there is always opportunity to grow if your motivated and want to grow. It's easy for former
associates who have an ax to grind to find this web site.

After all - almost every company reviewed is negative here. I thought everyone may want to see
some reality.

If all of the above is not enough......
Job Lot donated over $1,000,000.00 to local food banks from the December food drive where the
owners match a percentage of the dollars donated, The company donated two truckloads of
summer type clothing to Haiti's relief and is currently building Schools in Cambodia to help the
much less fortunate. This company ROCKS.........

Give them a try and see for yourself.

From N. Kingstown, R.I. — 12/01/2009

This is a good company to work for. The 100 % company paid health care is great,not a cheapie plan, they have a PPO from United Healthcare. If you run into a problem from your boss you can call an Employee relations manager whose phone number is posted in the store. and they keep things confidential. The pay won't make you rich, but it is comparable to what you would get from other retailers. And it is a fun place to shop with your 20% employee discount and 3 30% off special employee shopping nights.