Work at Northwestern Mutual — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Northwestern Mutual pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Northwestern Mutual

From Ohio — 08/27/2009

I am so thankful that I accepted a position with Northwestern Mutual right out of school. I've been here for 3 years and recently stepped into a leadership role. As a female, I feel empowered to acheive success in a field that traditionally has been dominated by men. Likewise, I have so much excitement about my future, and what Northwestern Mutual will continue to provide. I haven't encountered an opportunity to that will provide the same opportunity for personal, professional and finanical reward.

From Utah — 01/27/2009

Having worked as an agent of Northwestern Mutual for a couple of years now, I have to say that this is probably the average person's dream job. I think the reason some people rate it so badly is that success in this business is entirely up to the individual. Therefore, naturally, when folks fail at this job they feel better blaming the job rather than themselves. Of course, that's just my opinion.

I rated the pay a 3 because the pay is really up to you. The company provides all the information you need to know what it will take to be successful - i.e. how many people you will have to call each day to get X number of appointments, etc. There is a delay in work versus pay when you are starting out, however, that you need to be aware of. The hardest part of starting this job is expecting a steady paycheck right away. That simply doesn't happen. Instead there is an uneven flow of cash as various contracts are approved over the period of weeks or months after the work is done.

The corporate offices provide all sorts of special helps for new agents, from extra support staff to signing bonuses, to expense allowances. Most experienced agents are extremely kind and positive, and are quick to offer help and advice.

The benefits are okay. The main benefits are the retirement packages, which, if you stay with the company for the average amount of time, fully fund your retirement at 100% of your pre-retirement income. The health package is only average. There is a small group life and group disability plan as well as special consideration for further insurance. In a way, not having a lot of benefits is bad, but I have found that people can relate to me more when they ask me what benefits I provide for myself and I'm able to tell them that I personally own the following products...

Again, job security is up to the individual. Most agencies will set certain minimums that must be reached, but as long as you're making an effort you will have great job security. Even in an economy like this.

The biggest appeal to me is the balance between work and home. Because it is in essence your own business, you make your own hours. This means that you can be as flexible as you want. The only caveat I have is that you can easily get used to not doing the work and find yourself out of money if you aren't disciplined.

The potential for growth is amazing. Every year you stay in the business you earn more money as you build your clientele. 5 years of hard work can mean a lifetime of high income in this job.

Any metropolitan area is likely to have a network office. It's the smaller communities that are sometimes left without and can require some creative commuting by agents.

Most co-workers are competent, simply because those who aren't usually give up in the first 3 or 4 years of working and move on to something easier. Of course, there are always some who manage to sneak in, but they typically don't last long.

The environment is great, though some people are put off by the gold cuff-links, Lexus cars, and 2,000 dollar suits. Though not every office believes that rolexes are part of the job description, you will run into it from time to time.

This can be the best or worst job you've ever had, but it's all up to the individual. I say try it out and find out if you can do it. If you have the discipline you will find that it is the best job you could have imagined for yourself.

If you are considering working FOR a Northwestern Mutual representative, take the same care that you would with any prospective boss. Just because the company is great doesn't mean the agent is going to make a good boss.

From Boston, MA — 11/25/2008

I worked with Northwestern Mutual for over three years and quite frankly, there is not a better company to be affiliated in the financial services industry. The company remains incredibly strong event during these turbulent times and the people around you are world class.

As a young professional I have been able to develop my own business and clientle and earn a great living, close to 100k my first year out of undergrad. If you are hard working, like meeting with people and have the self discipline to form the necessary habits to be successful, this is a great career for you.

It gives you ultimately felxibility. There is very little restriction from management. In fact they only exist to do their best to help you succeed.

Ultimately, whether or not this career is right for you is for you to discover, by reading a few simple posts on a website should not make or break your decision either way. The best way to find out how this may work for you is to inquire!

From saint louis, mo — 07/16/2008

I am currently in the internship and i am loving it. For all those people who say it is a scam they are ignorant. Yes, its easy to call your family and friends first, but you can call who ever the hell you want. Yes you also start off selling life insurance, but if you know anything about finance and investments, you'll realize how great this product actually is. You can get certified to actually do investments later on in your career. As for the work, its difficult because no one ever calls for advice. Stats on fortune say that 90% of people would want financial advice, but they just wont call. You have to be persistent in this business. If you cant handle rejection well, then dont try this because its not for you. The commission for interns is about 50% of what you sell. For first yr full time reps. its about 80%. You make your own schedule and if you listen to what they tell you to do, then you cant fail.

From Richmond, Va — 07/09/2008

Pay: its tough to highly complement the pay for this company cause even from day one, you come in and start out as fully comission based. You may have the possibility of getting some kind of compensation to pay rent while you're in training, but its definitely not something you wanna try to live off a for a while. Its very tough starting out fully comission based, but if you stick it out and really have tunnel vision and focus only on work for 2-5 years, you will be successful and prosperous at this company.

Respect: So many times, people complain on this website about respect from co-workers, and the only reason you wouldnt get respect at Northwestern is if you don't do the work you're required to do. If you simply follow the formula that they lay out for you, you will garner the respect you want and deserve

Benefits: Descent package with a number of options

Job Security: Do what they ask you to do, and even if the numbers dont work out and people dont buy your product, then Northwestern people will recognize the effort you're putting in and know that sometimes there's nothing you can do to make people purchase one of the best products out there.

Work/Life Balance: You make your schedule. Balance it how you want

Career Potential/ Growth: The sky is the limit here. You really have potential to go places. Receiving renewals off of old policies and comissions on current sales makes a big difference. The insurance industry is fairly backwards compared to most industries. In the beginning you work your tail off and get little compensation, and in the end you dont do any work and get compensated like crazy. Stick it out and you can really soar

Location: Good. There are satellite offices all over the place with offices in most large cities

Co-worker competence: Absolutely Fantastic. These are all top rate people. Northwestern really believes in their people and the fact that training and development is very important. Northwestern puts a lot of time and money into its workers and that really makes everyone there first rate. Not to mention the selection process is super strict, so they definitely dont let anyone slip through the cracks

Work Environment: Its really what you make it into, because so many times you will be doing meetings in a coffee shop. I personally enjoy the idea of not having to sit behind a desk all day. I do that for an hour a day and then im out of the office the rest of the day.

There is one last thing I'd like the speak on and that is the fact that I read a number of reviews that said they pressure you to sell products to your family, and honestly that is completely wrong. Northwestern gives you the opportunity to contact anyone that you want to. Yes naturally we are going to go to the people closest to us first, but if you expect to get anything out of this profession you need to be comfortable with meeting new people on a regular basis. If you're not then of course you're gonna try to slap your family members over the head with your products. That's simply because you don't have the skill set that is needed to be successful at Northwestern.

Northwestern is a first class company and if you have the desire to get out and meet new people and the drive to be successful, then this is the place to be

From Chicago — 03/29/2008

This place is a great company that looks out for the individual, has never laid off anyone and is a profit machine. Yes, as a new sales person, it is tough, but if you make it through, it is a cash ATM. The IT support is great too.