Work at Northwest Airlines — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Northwest Airlines pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Northwest Airlines

From Minneapolis, MN — 08/01/2007

I have worked for many Fortune 500 companies, and this was my first working for a company battling bankruptcy. I'm not a big whig with anything worth bragging about, but I've been impressed with the intelligence and stamina of the leadership. My boss and his boss have worked weekends, nights, conference calls, 24/7, to do whatever was needed to keep these hunks of metal in the sky. No egos. No complaints. They've been dinged a lot by people who want life guaranteed for them, and life isn't made like that. They have no guarantees, yet I've seen them sacrifice their personal lives for the benefit of the entire company - even those who ding them. When most companies would have sent everyone home with cardboard boxes filled with personal stuff, I feel good that we're all still here trying to make this company better for the future. There have been a lot of smart decisions made, but we won't see the effects of them for awhile (like any econ professional would tell you). Anyway I'm glad I moved here. I love the cities. My kids go to good schools. I bought a small, but nice house. I have more opportunity at NWA than I've had in Detroit and in Chicago combined. The problem is most of the unhappy people at NWA have never worked anywhere else to really know what they have and how good the company really is. Just look at the paper or the magazines and see how much other CEOs make. NWA's is nothing. Also what people need to get is that the higher you climb, the fewer there are of jobs. It's the econ law of supply and demand. Less means more. Fewer CEO jobs mean they make more pay because if they get fired, they can't easily get a job somewhere else. So all the cracks about mgmt super bug me. Everyone picks a career path, accept your choice. I accepted mine, and seriously, I couldn't be happier. It beats flippin burgers and digging graves.

From Minneapolis/St.Paul — 01/09/2007

The pay is not what it use to be but it is still reall good. Co-worker and management respect is way up from just over a year ago. Benifits could be better but still manageable. I know the job security is great. I went up almost 2000 people in senority in just one day last year. I have much more time for my family now that bumbing in the system has stoped. Like anywhere else, if you apply yourself there is advancement. The location has always been the best especially for traffic from where I live. Co-worker experience ranges from many different airlines so there is a lot of unique experiences to share. As far as the work environment goes. Lets just say, Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. What a relief.

From MSP — 01/07/2007

I know the amfa people who followed the ill fated strike will not agree, but NWA is a good place to work. They have formed focus groups to get employee input, and have already implemented some of the suggestions. The benefits are some of the best in the work field - not just aviation. Job security is up to your own performance - NWA will be around for many years - you work up to their standards, and you will have a job. We now have some of the best mechanics working under one roof since the strike took care of those who didn't care about doing a good job. A much better work environment than that of 2 years ago.

From MSP — 12/26/2006

I just started working again as a mechanic since my seniority was so high. I stayed out during that damned strike dragged on by retarded union leaders and let me tell you, it was the worst time of my life and I searched all over and couldn't find anything better than NWA at my age. I didn't have the heart to cross the pickit line out of loyalty to my fellow workers, but I have little problem with those who did because of our horrible AMFA union. As for NWA itself, no one is going to deny that it's not the company it was and the pay plus benefits are a lot worse. but it's still a far cry from trying to find anything else out there when you are over 50 and just trying to finish your career. IF it survives, it may bea decent place to work for new guys looking for a career. I can't say. So overall NWA is a good place for a mechanic to start or finish a career at this point, if you can. It isn't a good place if you are looking to move up for many years of job stability. The strife created by the unions is also terrible, since the strike nearly cost me my job forever. I think NWA can best be described as a 'lesser evil' compared to the other companies out there with much less pay, poorer benefits, and unskilled workers.

From DTW — 12/26/2006

NWA is the best job I'v ever had. I'm a tech in DTW, and just past my first year. I got my A/P in 2001 and have been going form one small airline to the next, making $12-$15 an hour as a tech and then $18 as a MX sup. I enjoyed my time at all the airlines I'v work. I'm going to make over $60k for 2006. That may be a small pay to some, to me it the most money I'v ever mad in my life. Also, I'm doing a tenth the work I did at the smaller airlines I'd worked. So am I all upset with NWA and living in shame? NO WAY!! I'm 26 and I'v got a job that pays good and lets me see the world for FREE. THANKS NWA!!!

From Twin Cities, MN — 11/25/2006

Interesting company to work for. Currently on its way to the top due to some very savvey financial decisions post bankruptcy filing. Good time to join the team since the executive management can now step back from some of the financial minutia and concentrate on employee revitalization. They have recently made some decisions that have pointed to the right direction even though most of their arsenal is still wrapped up in the restructuring. Wait until we emerge ... the world is our oyster!

From Minneapolis, MN — 08/01/2006

It is an extremely tough time to work in the airline industry. Competitive forces have never been stronger and high fuel prices make the market place very challenging. Employee groups are all beaten up and frankly have a hard time recognizing market forces at work. It will take some amazing leadership to bring employees together after what the front line workers have been through. All that sais, NWA is a scrappy survivor and has provided many good jobs for many years due to its hard working emplyees, adaptability, and its willingness to make tough decisions.