Work at Northrop Grumman — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Northrop Grumman pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Northrop Grumman

From northern Virginia — 01/16/2009

Pay: pretty good for this area. Respect: good within my small group, but overall the people here are very standoffish. People tend to ignore you instead of saying hello when passing in the hallway. If they don't know you, they don't care to GET to know you. The only way to get to know somebody is to be assigned to work with them, otherwise they don't talk to you. Benefits: pretty good, but I'm befuddled why a DOD contractor doesn't give it's employees all of the federal holidays. It's ridiculous when my customers have days off that I don't get. Job Security: pretty darn good if you can stomach the beaurocracy, keep your head down and don't rock the boat. Work/life balance: fair in my group. We pretty much work our own hours because we're all responsible enough to finish our jobs properly. For example, I rarely work overtime because I get my work done promptly, but a coworker of mine is inefficient and always feels compelled to work OT. Management is fine with that as long as the work gets done. Career growth: uneven. Typical of huge companies, if you learn to schmooze you'll move up the ranks. If you keep your head down and get your work done well, they'll not even know you exist. Location: good since there are offices next to each Starbucks on every corner. (Seems like) Coworker competence: in my group, pretty poor. I'm working in a group of "cowboy" programmers who all do their own thing. Personally, when I see problems I like to try to solve them. But my coworkers are all stuck in the "we've always done it this way" mentality and they're VERY opposed to learning anything new. Work environment: pretty good for a cube farm. we have 5-foot cubicle "walls" so although it's not as good as private offices, they're really good for cubes. Also our building amenities are very good. Even better: I'm able to telecommute on occasion when I want to.

My biggest peeve with the company are the weekly slew of emails announcing who landed where on the latest management-go-round. They are always names I guess in upper management who I don't know, never will know, have no affect on my job and could care less which division they're heading up now. In contrast, communication within my group is HORRIBLE. When people get laid off, we usually only find out about it through the grapevine. In fact the only way to learn anything about what's going on that affects our jobs is through the grapevine.

From VA — 07/23/2008

Great company! Easy to advance. I have been with them for 2 years; and I was promoted from JOBTITLE1 to JOBTITLE2. At that same moment, it was my 1 year review; so it was a double bonus for me; couldnít be any happier. I found out that I will get a 10% increase for the promotion; also found out that I will get a 6% increase for my review. (FYI, the increases are coming from 2 separate managers; previous & current. THEN they told me some BS that "you can't get more than a 10% increase; so my 6% was thrown out the window. My 1 year of service had no value apparently. By doing the math, I basically got 4% for going from JOB1 to JOB2. On top of all that, I get paid FAR LESS what my market value is (I did my research). Letís just say Iím making $8000 less than what others make. I just think its BS that ď10% is the maxĒ; thatís all I keep hearing. Time to move onÖ

From Middletown, RI — 06/19/2008

Pay is only average. If you were to go a few miles north into Boston, you could expect a $20,000 pay raise. Respect is pretty high, people treat each other well, managers and co-workers. Benefits are good but not great. Fairly average for todays market, most places offer things like 401k matching, but NGC goes just slightly beyond by offering things like education benefits and a non contributory retirement program. Job Security is very good. They do not overhire/overfire at our office, unlike a lot of defence contractors.Career growth: As someone else said you can move up engineer levels fairly rapidly, the problem is if you want to go any farther than being an engineer, someone is going to have to die or retire. Location: The Newport area is great, it is expensive in the immediate area, but you can live 35 minutes away and get the cheapest housing around. Co-workers: A really good bunch of people, Competence is high and people are generally friendly and helpful. Work environment: Cubeland, like most places, but you work 80 hour 2-week periods and work whatever hours you want in those two weeks as long as you get your 80 (my favorite part of working here). The Dress is casual, most people wear jeans, dogs at work is ok. No hassles over taking time off, and the amount of time off is on the reasonable to high side of things. You gat about 1 day off per month of vacation time and an additional 120 hours per year that covers holidays/sick time. Work from home is a frequent option if you are into that kind of thing. If it wern't for the pay this place would be pretty much perfect.

From Newport News, VA — 04/14/2008

The pay is great. Starting salary for Engineer I is 52K...56K if you have experience...Respect is high where i work (E56), they are very professional in that department...Benefits is very good...They have dental plans, health plans, insurance to choose from at a very reasonable prices...Job security is great...Some workers worked in the company for 40 years, some worked over 30 and 20 years...their sons and daughters work also in here...they have a flex schedule...As long as you can work 80 hrs in two weeks, its ok...you can work 25 hours in one week and 55 hours the next, its ok too...as long as 80 hours is met in two weeks...
Potential growth is good...you will probably make engineerII in 2 years and engineer 3 in the next 4 after that...Location is good, newport news, va...co-workers are all professionals, very very competent...work environment is excellent...its an office, new computer and nice desk....all in all NorthropGrumman is an excellent company...If you have a chance to get recruited and offered a job here, TAKE it...you will not be sorry...take it from me...fernando corpin

From FT Sill Oklahoma — 04/08/2008

The hours keep increasing and the Pay does not....The Leadership has nothing to do with the workers nor cares to. All work no play Thats Northrop Grummans Way

From N/A — 02/24/2008

The work isn't bad. Pay is below average. In the defense field you can expect to be paid less than the comercial field. But based on research, and talking to other people who work for other companies in the same field, you can expect to be underpaid by $10,000 or more. The health insurance selections are horrible. There is definitely favortism in the company. Certain people get screwed on raises, while others make out better. Certain people get the nice computers while others don't. The company screws you with ATO (Holidays) and PTO (Vacation). They recently changed the system so that they took 5 days from your PTO and moved it to ATO. ATO is a use or loose situation. I'm sure it's a move that earned the company millions that year. You are rairly praised for the good work you do, and are very often critized for problems that may or may not be yours.