Working at Northrop Grumman — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Northrop Grumman pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Northrop Grumman

From newport news, va — 07/03/2010

Benefits and pay is good. Work environment is what I expected considering the type of work I do. However I wish Management would STOP using the word TEAM. It is obvious to me that Management does not know the meaning of the word. Management gives out jobs in the morning and before lunch time my co-workers are doing something else, and believe me most of the time it because it suits my co-workers not the task.

From El Segundo, CA — 07/01/2010

Worked for NG in El Segundo and most of my co-workers and managers were nice and repsectful. However, the office space at times were very old and dirty. Once in managment you were in the boys club, but getting promoted was like an act of Congress. Managers were promoted within grade for "more" responsiblity than before. In reality, just now earning there pay now and before had an easier job.
most of the HR reps tried hard, but their Directors had in their heads in the clouds. Acted as if ethics cunted, they turned around and pulled and said untehical crap at times. Not all management but some...

In general, a good place to work but you have to deal with ego's and bs just like anywhere else.

From Chantilly, VA — 02/18/2010

I've only been working here since June of 2009 but damn am I impressed. They offered me a hefty signing bonus, a great salary, superb benefits (not the best employee matching on 401k though, still... it's quite adequate). Very flexible work schedule and time off process. We just started what they call 9/80 scheduling which essentially allows us to take every other Friday off. Which is awesome.

From newport news, va — 01/22/2010

The good: JOB STABILITY: Warship Shipbuilding (Aircraft carriers and Submarines) are of course backed up by goverment contracts. The shipyard will never close as they will always have to build new and also maintain the current ships for UNCLE SAM.NEWPORT NEWS is very uniqe shipyard, only nuclear carrier yard. In todays economic world stability is key: When you have young kids to raise, a mortgage to pay, having a stable income is crucial. The pay is good, benefits are good and advancement comes standard as you progress thru the years and do reasonably well. Level of stress on the job is low, it is easy to do well as long as you try and show effort.

The bad: ENVIRONMENT and ASS KISSING LEADERSHIP. When you work for any large defense contractor, there are some different things that go with it as opposed to a private non government backed industry. THINGs move at a much slower pace, borderline on boring sometimes, the level of technical skill is average, few guys have top knowledge 80% of the rest help out with routine and easy non challenging clerical tasks. Not a place for someone that wants to be involved with leading edge challenging professional work. It seems like they have a welfare system set up: they hire all sorts of people especially minorities (which is good) but it also seems like they took a lot of warm bodies just to comply with the navy requirements. It doesnt matter if you just sit there do easy tasks, you get paid for being a WARM BODY. There are more people working that it will actually take to do the job, but since they get paid for filling the number of hours they charge to the navy contract it is ok. End result: STAGNANT POND.
ASS KISSING and booty smooching take precedence over anything else. Not to say that hard work doesn't pay off, but if you know how to work the politics by kissing up you can end up doing little and still get the good raises and more praise.

From Pascagoula, MS — 01/11/2010

I have a love/hate relationship with this company. Its a 40 hr a week job in my area. However, there is really no opportunity for advancement unless you move or get promoted for political correctness. Job performance has absolutely no bearing on promotions. On the yard its full bore rear end covering all the time, with much more emphasis on "how this looks" then if this is good or will work. In the office its even worse. They have been good to us during the economic downturn, but without corporate welfare the company would be broke already. On the upside, you might get to star in a cheesy "I'm a shipbuilder" video.

From Newport News VA — 07/22/2009

Pay is above average but I have been there several years, there were some adjustments that improved things to all in my sector.

Respect is earned not given, get off your dead $@* and prove something before asking someone to respect you as a worker. Having said that there is animosity between groups within the sector and my peeps/I tend to get pushed on to achieve without much thought about quality. Also one slacker in the bunch brings the whole group down, be careful about the company you keep

Benefits are standard with this company, 401k, health care options flex hours

Job security is and will be solid as long as you can deal with the normal office politics and political manuvering.

Work/ life balance- Work as much as you can stand then some more, overtime is always available, can be a burden. Can be particularly stressful when dealing with growth work and meeting deadlines. Many meetings that go no where fast and lack direction. Let's go wander in the dark forest shall we.

Career growth- big opportunities as long as you can deal with the hours and commitment

Location is okay but hard to enjoy while working

Coworker competence/ Work environment- Some people will need motivating with a cattle prod which brings other actual workers down. I find that most of the problems involve motivation because annual raises are uniform for over and under achievers and get same results usually. Forget the annual review, go for promotions but be prepared to deal with the extra time associated with. If you are not interested in advancement show up regularly and try to push things forward and you will shine.
Lack of competence can slow a job but some people who lack competence generally try harder to learn in my environment. Many personality quirks to deal with in this environment, some people should have a psych evaluation after several years but I suppose that adds to the office fun.

From Huntsville, alabama — 05/15/2009

Pay seems good, certainly more than I have made in my career. Respect seems to be neither good or bad but who looks for respect anyway. Benefits are outstanding for the amount of money paid. Job Security is fairly good, if you are halfway decent at your job and are not a boat rocker. Work/life balance, HA! Expect to work weekends and your days off. This Business unit has a 9/80 schedule which means every other friday off, well maybe if the schmucks who did not plan well require people to come in to make the deadlines. Here the schedule is god, quality is subject to the number of shortcuts taken to complete the work. Career growth, excellant if you are a minority. Location, the only other worst place I have ever lived is New Jersey. Ride your bicycle to work maybe? Only if you have a death wish! Co-worker competence, here are some of the smartest people I have ever worked with, although half seem to have a chip on their shoulder. Work environment is decent but thats all I can say about it. I am working on getting a transfer outof here, the sooner the better.

From New York — 04/03/2009

This is one of the most challenging positions I have held in my career. I came from the financials and legal vertical. Very different environments, but all challenging in their way. here's the best thing: we've done what no one else in the world has done. Here's the worse thing....I drink more, get sick more and see less of my family than in the rest of my career. At my age (45), I'm not as young as I used to be to carry this stress level. But to have what we've created immortalized, (yes I'm being sappy) maybe worth it.

From Annapolis — 03/20/2009

Pay's not that great at first because they want you to prove yourself early on, which is understandable. You get rewarded with some pretty good salary bumps if you step up and take on responsibilities others won't. And believe it when I tell you thereís plenty of responsibility to take on that others wonít! To stand out and look good at my location, all you have to is your job, since there are so many that donít. In the last 10 years my average annual salary has increased 11% per year. Can't complain too much there.
Benefits are noticeably lacking in the area of vacation. You start with 15 days per year, then have to wait 15 years for your next 5-day bump. The next 5 day bump comes at 20 years and that's max until retirement. In 2010 they're moving to a cumulative system for earning monthly vacation.
On hiring, they've become better over the years at promoting from within, but still not where they should be. They suck on certain hiring practices, such as allowing local managers to hire people without the pre-requisite skills, experience, or training to do a job they're being hired for; at a salary and position above other senior employees who've been there longer; that do have the knowledge, training, and experience. Not a big trust & morale booster.
This is due mainly to them following the trendy new fads in reverse discrimination practices going on across the country these days (inappropriately supported & subsidized by our tax dollars via the Federal Gov't I might add). Things like hiring quotas for women & minorities, EOE, Diversity, and other things ACLU-types love. Doesn't matter if they're qualified, but if their gender and race fit the "Affirmative Action" profile - They're Good to Go! As such, Northropís is stacking up a lot of "Dead Wood" on the payroll, making it hard for real, qualified, experienced workers, who have to carry the load, to meet deliveries within budget and schedule.
You've got about 1/3 Bust-Ass True Workers, 1/3 Incompetent Do Just Enough to Get-Byers, and 1/3 Somebody Needs to Just Shoot My Lazy Good-for Nothing Ass Sleepers. There's plenty of Nepotism and many other "...isms" to be found at Northrop, that their HR departments need to purge (but won't) as well.
Northrop likes to call their facilities "Campuses" instead of facilities. It seems to give them more of a Thurston Howell appeal to the pipe-smoking ascot crowd with the captainís hats. Plus they can all remember back to their good old college days at the Delta House Toga Parties. Northrop overall is big on the P.C. stuff and wrote the book on Corporate Buzz-Word Bingo and support all the latest trendy social fads of late: "Win-Win", "Diversity", "Hunt With the Pack", to name a few. Here you'll find your senses assaulted (and insulted) daily with stuff along the lines of "Gay & Lesbian Eskimos Wearing Plaid Engineering Award" ceremonies and such.
The suits at the top like to parrot a lot of the Socialist BS coming out of Washington these days about Diversity and all. The old days of "Get the job done and take pride" are long gone. Form over Substance; It's not what you do so much as how it looks when you're doing it. Not whether the new ship you just built got wired right, or if there was enough money and time to do it. More like, "Did we have ďthe right blend of peopleĒ to wire the ship up wrong, with not enough time or money?" "Did we have enough unqualified and inexperienced Minorities, Females, and un-necessary levels of incompetent management?" If the answer's Yes to all of the above Ė allís well at Northrop Grumman.
While it's what you might expect from the 5th largest Defense Contractor, with over 100,000 employees, it could always be made better if they'd just have a few "Come to Jesus - Let's Get Real" meetings, scrap the PC crap, cut the dead wood, an get on with building best-quality defense products.
With Obama and his current Marxist policies and administration tanking the economy with outlandish spending, government takeovers, taxation, and regulation, we're quickly becoming more like the old Soviet Union. Pretty soon it won't matter. The 1/3 of Bust Ass True Workers can join the ranks of the remaining 2/3 and we can all just ride the big social welfare program and pretend to actually do defense things while the Liberals in D.C. pretend to protect the country while taking money from defense to fund their social pork in an attempt to garner the vote and cement their future political power. Given they now write the checks, that's the overall direction the industry will be steered. The question will be, "How will Northrop play the game and how might that affect you as a Northrop Grumman employee?"

From Northern Virginia — 01/22/2009

I love it here. I have enjoyed outstanding opportunity, autonomy, as well as a energizing and creative enviornment. Plus, I have the chance to work with cool people. Great technical tools and lots of opportunities to use them. Projects focuses on some of the most exciting stuff of the highest national importance. Northrop Grumman is also a very ethical company - they wear you out with legal and ethical conduct stuff. Co-workers are outstanding - good team enviornment. Benefits great and for long time staff you have a combination of a 401k and defined benefit pension - which is pretty rare. Most managers come from the military or government - - I've had good ones and some not as good. Pay is competitive. Lots of opportunity to move to different projects. Great place for new college grads - lots of responsibility early in their career. Good support programs too.