Working at Nordstrom — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Nordstrom pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Nordstrom

From Portland, OR — 02/05/2008

I started at Nordstrom right before I graduated from high school in '03 and I imediately thought I was in heaven. I worked in a womens department during the summer sales and everyone was really nice to me because I didn't compete with them for sales, but I saw some "beatdowns" between the saleswomen over who's customer is who's. The manager was great and since then she's been promoted a few times. After the sales were over I got asked to stay as a part time salesperson in the accessories division while I was going to school. My coworkers were a little sharky, but they were also very supportive. I ended up transfering to a different store in the area and worked part time while I was in school until I decided to try and work full time.

I applied for a counter manager position in the cosmetics department, which managed no other employees but a counter. After accepting the job offer it took a month before I was scheduled to work because the buyers kept "marrying" the lines so I was informed that I was responsible for more and more volume. I was excited to launch the new line and after meeting all my vendors and getting product knowlege training I worked as hard as I could to grow my business. For the first seven months in that position we had the worst department management and it didn't take long for the store manager to replace them. Our new department manager was the greatest manager I've ever had. The assistant manager that directly supervised me hated me and took a lot of opportunities to get me in trouble where possible. If the managers like you, you can get away with murder but if they don't like you... prepare to get nailed for everything you do wrong. I worked practically all the time and was miserably stressed out trying to make my goals while my vendors all fought over my attention to their business.

After seven months in the position the buyers made the decision to "marry" even more lines into my position. I was now responsible for several small lines that had little to no representation in mailers and catalogs. I burnt out after a while and one day they called me upstairs and let me go, after 3 years with the company. I was devistated because I'd worked so hard and I'd loved the company so much... it was like getting a divorce. After I left, a few of my coworkers got fired for various reasons. It took them months to replace my position. They got rid of the woman who replaced me after a couple months. Then they replaced her with another woman who lasted a month before she got fired. After that the buyers aparently realized that the position wasn't working so they split up the lines and eliminated the position.

Nordstrom was a great place when I started there. I wanted to stay there forever, mostly because I was a big part of "the cult" that people talk about. By the time I left the place is just like all the other retail stores out there, where you're a number responsible for numbers and there are a million other people lined up for your job when you've given everything you can to the company. In an effort to cut costs and increase revenue the company has abandoned its original principles to make the shareholders happy. Their stock may be high now but I know there will be a day when the spirit of Nordstrom deteriorates so much that its no longer a fun place to shop or work.

From McLean, VA — 01/23/2007

Best place to work - it is no wonder Nordstrom is Number 1 in Customer Service, the employees are given importance and also very well supported. Management does everything it can to reduce liability for individual employees.