Work at Nordstrom — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Nordstrom pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Nordstrom

From Georgia — 02/11/2009

I've enjoyed working for Nordstrom. I always wanted to own my own business and this is great training for that. It is probably the closest to owning your business without actually owning one. It is up to you how successful you are going to be. Much depends on your department manager on how your experience is going to be. Hopefully they recognize you for the good things you do and they hold people accountable who bring the department down. Nothing is worse than seeing people get away with murder. Nordstrom talks a lot about leading by example...some people take this seriously, some do not. Basically it comes down to: if you don't like it you need to leave. Nordstrom is not for everyone. You do need to be self motivated. No one is going to do it for you. No company is perfect but the difference that I have seen compared to other companies I have worked for is that Nordstrom makes an effort to be a good company. They care.

From los angeles,ca — 02/09/2009

I worked at Nordstrom and I enjoyed it. I mean its not the most wonderful thing in the world but compared to 90% of companies out there especially retail. Nordstrom is not that bad. It also probably depends on what store you are working at. Some stores probably do suck. But for the most part Nordstrom is not that bad. You have to work hard but there is room for growth. The return policy I agree with is silly. But there has been alot of scams where people have been switching out tags and trying to confuse associates especially in the Glendale area of L.A. county. You just have to be very aware of these scams because they tried it on me and a couple of people I know who work at Nordstrom.

From Clackamas — 11/26/2008

I worked for Nordstrom for over 6 years off and on and was working in outside sales when I was laid off. I applied at Clackamas rack and got the job, They offered me $11.60 an hour and I was told that was the top rate for returning employee's, I was shocked..How can anyone live on that? I called her back and said I got another job offer. She was very nice about it and said that the company is promotable which I do know from working there in the past. For as hard as you have to work and with the public all day they should pay more..

Thanks for reading

From Costa Mesa, CA — 10/13/2008

This is a challenging job, so if you want to work for this co. then you'll have to put much more ffort than you would for any other retail stores. The work is rewarding but refunds are a bitch!
If you love clothing and are comfortable in approaching people then this is the right job for you. Don't expect to have it easy though, especially with the current economy...they don't take it into account!

From Norfolk VA — 09/07/2008

one of the best companies to work for!

From TX — 06/05/2008

I've been with Nordstrom for 7 years. I've worked in the Rack division and full line. Nordstrom has it's pros and cons just like every place. I have my days where I want to walk out and never go back. But then I think about the fact that they let you handle your own business. If I want to do something like credit my customer for shipping because their dtc didn't get their on time, I don't have to call the store manager and ask permission. As for the cult atmosphere everyone seems to mention, it's more like trying to be a family. You are expected to say hi to all of the coworkers you come into contact with. If that's cult like, then I guess I'm drinking the KoolAid. All in all, if you're bitching about Nordstrom, then try going to work at Macy's or Dillard's. Then you'll sing a different tune.

From Bellevue — 04/27/2008

I notice a number of people crying over not recieving respect, working long hours, and competing over sales. I have been with the company for a while and my advice to everyone is learn how to grow a shell. People at any company will talk behing your back, steal your sales or critique your work. Suck it up, build your customer base, kill people with kindness and move on. This is a fast growing company with endless opps. If you deal well with ambiguity, have a strong interpersonnal savvy and can deal with the public, you will make good, good money.

From Portland, OR — 03/19/2008

My experience with Nordstrom is the standard of how I judge my other employers. The company works hard to make sure the employees are taken care of and are compensated for the effort they make. I originally started in stock when I was in high school and when I ended up moving to Portland and applied for a sales position, they had record of my past employment. Throughout my four years I had three different managers, with very different styles. Some may have taken this to be frustrating, but I found it to be a challenge and allowed me to better develop my interpersonal and communication skills. It became apparent to me that I was in a great place when I realized how much respect I was receiving, not just from the customers, but also the management. My sales were increased as I made the effort to reach out to my personal clients and educate myself more on product. I keep thinking about how I really could have retired with them and made a very happy living, and with out having any formal education. Support from coworkers was mostly always there and the management was quick to recognize my extra efforts. The better I did, the more the rewards and respect came. I was asked to apply for management positions which made me felt there was potential for me to grow. The store was clean and efficient, as well as the back areas. Nordstrom definitely has a certain culture and want you to be a part of it. I understand how that worked for a lot of people and for me, it helped me also feel a sense of belonging. Course, I was still independent and knew better then to not get involved with the inside gossip or drama that can occur among the other associates. Retail does demand its sacrifices and those came from the long hours around sales time or during holidays. Balancing the social life, school and work was complicated, but that could have been anywhere. One Christmas season they did allow me to take off early to fly and see family; quite a rare exception. The store was located downtown making it very convenient to get to either by car or public transit.

In total, between the benefits, the pay, the respect, and the wonderful relationships I developed while working there, it makes working elsewhere pale in comparison.

From Los Angeles, Ca — 03/09/2008

I had a very rewarding experience working for Nordstrom for many years. I left due a better career opportunity. I worked on the support side ( not sales) and I can honestly say that I learned how to effectivly run a business and how to behave professionally in all situations ( good or bad!). Having Nordstrom on your resume will open many doors for you.

From Seattle, WA — 03/08/2008

WOW!! I have read most of these reveiws and I am disgusted to see Nordstrom having such a negative effect on these individuals. I have to admit...retail can make you pull your hair out at times. Sometimes the pay sucks, but most of the time it's a great living. I have worked at many different retailers in my time. I have had quite a few retail boutque positions as well. NORDSTROM is simply the best work environment you will find in the retail world. I have the utmost respect for my manager, the store and what we stand for. My co-workers are friendly, competative at times...but you have to be. We are in sales people....HELLO??? Sales!! I don't really care for the hours, or the fact that I usually have to work all holidays, but I LOVE IT HERE!! It makes me so sad to hear all the upsetting stories. I sincerely love what I do. My advice to everyone that hates working there now...LEAVE. Do something else that will make you smile. To those who left...You did yourself a favor. For whatever reason you and Nordstrom were not a match. For most it is. We are not a cult. We are a family. I love the way I am treated here, and I love going to work. Maybe other stores are different within Nordstrom but Seattle is SIMPLY the BEST!! So please to all you readers out there considering a job at Nordstrom. Take it from me...it's a great company. If you want to grow with the company it is extremely easy. I'm a sale associate but I have two friends that have been with the company for 1 year and they are both Assistant Managers. The opportunities are endless!! This sounds so corny, but I have to stand up for my company. It's not BAD place to be. HONEST!