Working at Nordstrom — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Nordstrom pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Nordstrom

From Pasadena, Ca — 06/04/2010

I am sad to see all these comments about Nordstrom. I was hired last year to open the new Nordstrom Rack in Pasadena. My direct managers was great, she really gave us all the training we needed. My store managers was amazing... she knew everyone's name in the store, we had fun rallies, and she always smiled and was cleaning trash off the ground right along with us.

I was hired just temporary, but after we opened I was asked to stay! Yeah.

From Cincinnati, OH — 04/27/2010

Okay, So I am going to review Nordstrom pretty much the complete opposite from any of the other postings on this page. I do not understand how the people in Cincinnati can say such stuff about the stores here. This company is fantastic! I don't know if it is because I and at the Nordstrom rack store versus the full line store, but regardless the management here is great! They take the time to sit down and talk with you about your career and where you want to go with this company and will help you get there. Our store manager is awesome! She will makes and effort to come in everyday and walk the store and say hello and how are you to every associate. All the department managers and assistant managers are great too. Every manager here has a sense of humor so you can joke with them and sass them and have a great time while at work.
The hours are you work are fine, a few more would be great, but 35 hours a week is enough to get the benefits.
When I went in for my interview they expained the company in a pyramid form as all companies do. Except that Nordstrom has an Inverted pyramid. so the small point is the corporate offices, then followed by district management and then in store management then associates. they explain it that they are "below" you so they can help support you to get where you want. And unlike any othe company I have worked for, they include customers in the pyramid. Because Nordstroms actually recognizes that customers are the most important part to a business and without them you have no business.
So I have to say, I really don't understand how anyone could hate this company. Maybe its just the Rack store in Cincinnati that has awesome management, and if thats the case then I am so grateful that I got a position at this location!

From Beachwood OH — 04/22/2010

I am a former employee of Nordstrom. I was laid-off right in the middle of this bad economy. I was specfically told by my manager that I would be the first one called back when things picked up. I felt I left there on good terms. This was 14 months ago. I still have not heard back from them. The company posts jobs online and are probabaly hiring new people off the streets instead of calling back laid off workers. This is not a good practice. I dont see how you can tell someone this and not follow through on it. I think Nordstrom is an overall good company to work for. I really liked working there for various reasons. I really would like to get back in, but it does not look like that is going to happen.

From Troy, MI — 09/30/2009

Working at Nordstrom was the best job I ever had. I didn't love working nights and weekends, which is why I left retail, but I loved the job and the company is great!

From sac, ca — 09/23/2009

Nordstroms is a excellent retail to work for, it has alot more to offer than many retailers. The bottom line is if you treat your team well, they will take care of the most important things (the customer). I had the great opportunity to work for many great store managers overall and that made a difference in my appreciation and work ethics. Those of you who worked for Jean Claude and Kelly Carpenter aside from your upbringings probably are the best mentors and managers. As far as job promotion, it can be political and not based on hard work but how will the person promoting likes you.

From MD — 06/08/2009

I have only been with nordstrom for about 3 months, but i love it so far. Sure there are pacesetters in my department that will take a lot of customers at a time and make all the good money. But, this just shows me that i have to work harder to make the money i want to and to become well known to the customers. My benefits have not yet kicked in, but i am hoping they are as good as nordstrom tells you that they are! Also, i really like that nordstrom promotes within. I do not feel as some of these other people do that my job is on the line at all times and i think that if you feel this way maybe you are not doing the best that you can.

From Midwest — 05/17/2009

Nordstrom is a great company to work for! I have been with them since I was in high school for the most part. I left for a short time to see what else was out there and trust me the grass is NOT greener on the other side!! I have worked in both the stores and the regional offices in Chicago and have loved my job the entire time. There are days that it can be stressful but I've always been able to leave it at the door when I walk out. I feel pretty secure in my job - of course anything can happen but I have made it through many cuts over the years. Yes it's retail so sometimes the hours can suck but you know that going in and if you don't then you shouldn't be working retail. I have been very lucky and have had some great bosses - the last two have been the best!! They both understand that you have a life outside of Nordstrom and have been more than accomodating. I've never had a problem with taking days off that I have wanted - there are certain times during the year you know you can't take time off but again that is made very clear to everyone right from the start.

From chicago, il — 05/15/2009

Love this company!! You can grow with this company fairly quickly. However the stress that you can feel from regionals, store manager is a little uncomfortable. overall, great company to work for who values and cares about their employees.

From Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania — 04/22/2009

I am lucky enough to work in an area not hit hard by the recession. I work in a high volume department and we're doing great as a whole. Most of us average about $18-$25/hour. I was almost $26 an hour last pay period. My managers are very supportive about my hectic schedule and I have seen people I was hired with move up quickly. My department is very respectful of each other and there is minimum coworker disrespect. The return policy has not been awful for us and while we see a good amount of returns, we know we just need to make it up in sales. While, I have seen a couple of great employees let go for issues with management, overall job security is good. If you perform, you get to work. Most of my time off requests are fulfilled and my coworkers will switch days if needed very easily. I am very fortunate to be a part of Nordstrom store 237. I love it... what I don't love is actually an internal problem. Employees from other stores lying about inventory for Direct-to-Customer sales. This is actually more of a problem for me than returns. I have had an employee at another store think I was a customer, tell me they have an item ask me when I am coming in for it, change their tone when they realize its for a DTC and reject the submitted request causing a very unhappy customer on my end. That's my main complaint and there's nothing you can do about it because people don't understand that they will be in that same position one day and perhaps that's why their commission stinks... what goes around comes around.

From Providence — 02/18/2009

Pay- A bad economy and bad times overall make me grateful for a job, so I can't complain about pay.

espect- Give it to other people and they will give it back to you. Stop talking trash about others, grow some balls and say it to their face. If you can't handle confrontation, even about minor issues, then just keep your mouth shut.

Benefits- Same as any other place. Stop complaining. Everyone knows we need national healthcare.

Job Security- Do what is asked of you to the best of your ability, take initiative to prove you are above the regular folks, and you likely won't have a problem. Seriously if people spent as much time working and selling as they did gossiping and staring at themselves in the mirror columns, things would start looking up.

Work/Life Balance- Same as any other retail job. Stop complaining, or leave retail.

Location- Good, sometimes famous people come in.

Co-worker Competence- As far as managers go, most of them are pretty hard working and are usually there to help if you have questions. However, the few that prefer to spend their workdays huddled in the back stockroom talking about their nighttime activities should be fired for not only their incompetency, but their obvious lack of any work ethic at all. Not to mention a few of these managers can't even spell, or use proper grammar. Oh I wish I could name names! As far as associates go, most are friendly and outgoing. I get along with most of them.

Work Environment- Here is some advice: Go into Nordstrom for your shift, and just work. For the 8 hours you are there, try to keep negative thoughts to yourself, try to remember that others who are having a bad day don't deserve your mouth talking trash about them behind their back. Try to think how you would like to be looked at, and treat others that way. If you have a legitimate complaint or problem, go to the person the issue is with. If that doesn't work, go to HR or a manager you trust. Most of the time if your complaint is valid they will help you. If not, and you know you are being treated badly, don't stop until change is made. We all know that it sucks in general to go to work everyday, and top that with people having stress at home and in other areas of their life, and well you have one big group of moody people making the day just awful. Grow up people! If anyone is reading this, please go into work tomorrow with a new outlook. Bring a positive view, and it can be contagious! We are all stuck there together everyday, let's make it the best it can be.

I personally love it at Nordstrom Providence Place, and I am going to try and make other people see that they can too!!