Working at Navy Federal Credit Union — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Navy Federal Credit Union pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Navy Federal Credit Union

From Vienna, HQ — 04/24/2010

I am brand new to NFCU so I have not seen or dealt with a lot of the complaints that I have read on this site. I have noticed, however, that a lot of complaints are coming from branch personnel than any other area. I understand your pain 100%. I was in branch banking for a while and know how it is very difficult to work for a supervisor/manager that is less knowledgable about the banking practices than you. My sister was a branch manager for 9 years with another lending insitution and other people were being promoted above her because they would network and get ahead. I think if you just stay positive and don't give up, something will turn out the better for you. Maybe it will be with NFCU and maybe it will be with another Financial Institution. You can't keep looking to NFCU for ALL of your promotional needs.

I was astonished at the amount of people working at HQ for longer than 25 yrs in some cases. I couldn't understand for the life of me why these employees were in the same positions for years on end. I keep thinking that there must not be any promotional encouragement from the staff supervisors/managers but the more I spoke with the employees, I came to figure out that it's not mgmt staff, it was the employee! They got SO comfortable in their positions, that heck... let's just stay. I think this issue was another huge factor in a lot of the complaints. Jr employees feel that Sr term employees run the joint. Well, I think that if you keep your attitude in check and push through, no employee...no matter the term of employement, should be able to speak or push you in a disrespectable manner. In Orientation I was told, "the chain of command is very important". I agree. I think that if your immediate is not smart enough or diplomatic enough to help you, then move on up to the next one. Don't be scared. No one can do anything to you! You have rights. GO to HR if you are upset. Bottom Line: Stand Up for yourself.

As far as benefits. I think they are okay. I was receiving insurance at a rate of $19/month. Here, I will be paying more. I am okay with that. The way the economy is, I would rather take the higher amount than to have to pay for it myself.

Pay wise, I think for a credit union, it is pretty good. I am not all excited about it, but it is okay for now.

On the matter of coworker competence -- I think that a credit union of this size, WILL have employees that don't know what workplace standards are. It is very sad but true. Managers are the first line of defense and if they themselves are not competent, then you are out of luck. I am very happy to have two great supervisors in my division. I am just lucky I guess. But I feel for those that are stuck with managers that are not good at their jobs. I have been in that instance before and it wears you down. My advice for those of you that have incompetent managers: Complain at a higher command. If not, then start looking for another career opportunity. Your health is more important!

Until next time.... :D

From Vienna, VA — 11/24/2009

Good Family Environment to work in

From Lowcountry — 11/23/2009

I'm writing on behalf of my wife:
Pay- Great, my wife has been with Navy Fed for 7 broken years. The pay has been going up and up.
The Potential for advancement is there... She started as a teller and now a senior loan officer and Mortgage section. She has never asked for any of the positions, but they we're givien to her via her performance.

We just recently PCS'd to South Carolina and they moved her position from Hawaii to here for her. Navy Fed will work with you if you've proven you've done the job to deserve it.

Great Company. There's probably a reason everyone else that hated it here.. What did they do wrong??

From Virgini Beach — 07/26/2009

Pay= Pay is probably the one thing they use to keep you slaving for them. I have recieved a $3 an hour raise since I started a few years ago. When I started the pay was nice, and it keeps getting better.

Respect= If consider being talked to like a child respect, then I get tons of respect! It is bad when coworkers constantly complain about how management "picks" on them for every little thing. If you enjoy getting called into the office for things out of your control, then this is the place to work! They hire management who has never actually worked in your position.

Benefits: The benefits are second to none. This is one other thing that they use to scare you inot leaving. I cannot leave because I have yet to find a job with such awesome benefits.

Job Security: As long as you don't mind them moving you far from your home to work at a branch (taking you from the branch you lived closest to) then your in! They do not have "layoffs" but if you and your husband are stationed to another military town, they will not help place you at another branch. There are never any open positions, and they will not make one for you. All the locations are short staffed, but they claim there are no vacancies. Sure members wait in line 20 minutes to caash a check, or over an hour to talk to a represenative. Yet, they do not have enough people to fill every teller sation or every desk. When someone leave, they do not rehire for the position. They use to, but they are more concerned about opeing branches across the country than taking care of the ones that already exist.

Career growth potential: 0 They will not work with your schedule so that you may attend school. They cut the tution reimbursement more than in half. If a supervisor position beomes available, they hire from outside, or switch supervisors from branch to branch. They could care less about making an employee part of the management team. Your best bet is to learn all you can, and take that knowledge to another company.

Location: It was great....then without notice, they gave me an option. Switch to a branch farther from me, or look for a new job. No option, no discussion, I was already replaced. I have to drive past my location everyday to get to my new branch location!

Co-worker Competence: Most of the people I work with are very competent. Not management, of course. There are a few there who are lazy! But of course, these people spend so much time kissing butt, that they get away with it. What I have learned is that you are lazy, and kiss up, you will get more opportunity.

Work environment: The AC is always broken, you become so busy with all the members that you cannot even use the bathroom (you are frowned upon if you step out). The schedules are never worked out if you request a day off. Since most people working there are women, PMS runs rampid. I've never worked around so many back stabbers in my life. The Management team is worthless. The only part of my job i enjoy are working with the members!

Al in all, when I started with NFCU, I loved it. It has gone down hill. They are so concerned about being number one, that they leave the employees that have been faithful to them...to the wolves. Alll of this might sound harsh, but it is my reality. Out of the 20 or so "friends" I have made with the coworkers, 99% of them feel the exact same way. In fact, many have just recently found new jobs. Pay and benefits are not everything.

From Okinawa, Japan — 12/09/2008

PAY - The pay is pretty good for what we do. Sometimes there aren't many members who come in, but when the rush (Military Payday/Rent time) comes along and you're really working for that money. I'm a returning employee and my pay was raised when I was rehired, the pay scales changed over two years. I'm part-time and I'm getting a pretty decent paycheck.

RESPECT - I get a lot of respect from my coworkers, and I give it back. We are teammates. Sometimes we are disrespected by confused/angry/irate members but that's as much disrespect as I've gotten.

BENEFITS - Health Insurance, Pet Insurance, Paid Holidays, Employee Counseling/Help, 401K, etc. I feel that NFCU is trying hard to look out for their employees. If you resign then are rehired within 2-5yrs, you get to keep all of your accrued sick leave. When you resign you are paid out your annual leave balance.

JOB SECURITY - I'm pretty secure with my job, but I will be moving soon and there are no open positions where I am moving to, so I'm probably going to have to resign again. That's my only issue with job security.

WORK/LIFE BALANCE - I'm part-time and have enough time for myself with the way our schedules work out. I never feel overwhelmed with being at work for too long, but I do wish I was full time so that I could help out more.

CAREER POTENTIAL/GROWTH - We are continuously doing training online or even as peers. The more we learn, the more we are eligible to be promoted up. Overseas, people are always rotating out so there are always opportunities to be promoted.

LOCATION - We are worldwide (pretty much) and some still don't know that our branch exists. We have many locations stateside and overseas.

CO-WORKER COMPETENCE - We all start out not knowing what to do, but as a team we help each other learn what needs to be learned to function as a teller/member service rep. Plus small things are always forgotten--we help each other solve small uncommon problems by collaborating and remembering together.

WORK ENVIRONMENT - I love my coworkers, they make the work environment so enjoyable and productive. Our branch is so old though.

From Pensacola, FL — 10/29/2008

PAY--Depending on what section you work, it's great! Other sections do pay a differential--if you work past 6pm you get 10% on top of your hourly rate and if you work Sat/Sun, you get 15%....so if you are willing to work nights/wkends, you can make a lot of money! On an average, I think that NFCU pays better than most financial institutions.

RESPECT---everyone here is very nice! They really look out for you. You can tell that everyone is on the same team. They even celebrate your birthday by decorating your cubicle and doing fun activities throughout the year for all employees.

BENEFITS---awesome. How about free 15 min massages at work and they cover massage as a part of their health benefit? Also, they reimburse for things like tennis shoes and gym equipment to promote healthy living. Pet insurace---got them covered too! They have state of the art gym and even a nurse on staff. Free Flu Shots, and 401K with 6% company match!

JOB SECURITY: As many companys are laying off, Navy Federal is the World's Largest Credit Union----and fortunately, have never had a layoff in the history of the company (since 1933). There has been some restructuring within the credit union that allows employees to work in other areas temporarily and the credit union is making smart choices to help departments within the credit union rather than hire additional employees which in turn, costs us more money. So it's good to know that they are forward thinkers.

WORK/LIFE BALANCE: Some may argue, but they really do care about this. If you work in our contact center--there are some nights/weekends because it's a 24 hour/365 day environment. But the company even has "leave donation" so if you are needing time off and don't have any more annual leave accrued, another employee can donate their time to you if they wish so you can do what you need to do. Also, there is a "friendship fund" for those times that come up (illness, funerals, etc.) where those who contribute to the fund will get the items they need (flowers, cards, baskets, etc.)

CAREER POTENTIAL/GROWTH: Since they have opened up a mini-headquarters in Pensacola, the opportunity to grow within has been great! You are just required to be in your position for 6 months then you can apply for any opening within the credit union. Also, because they have expanded membership to all of the armed forces, we are opening branches all over the world--so if you are willing to relocate and want to move up fast, there will be plenty of choices!

LOCATION: Construction in Pensacola is still underway but it is going to be amazing once it's done! The building is Florida's 1st certified "green building" Once completed, we will have a humungous cafeteria, mini mart, Starbucks, and a gym--equipped with spinning rooms, group exercise classes, and personal trainers!

CO-WORKER COMPETENCE: For the most part, it seems everyone knows what they are doing---although I beg to differ on some of the management.

WORK ENVIRONMENT: Rated as one of Fortune Magazine's Top 100 companies to work for---as I mentioned, the benefits--massage, pet insurance, health/wellness, gym, cafeteria, starbucks, etc......what is there NOT to love?

From Honolulu, HI — 02/15/2008

I work part-time as a Member Service Representative in Hawaii. I live in Hawaii, so obviously the location is great!

The pay compared to other banking institutions is very competitive. Not to mention, part-time workers receive free medical insurance, a 401k with up to six percent matching, and the option of electing very cheap dental and vision coverage. Also, the Christmas bonus and end of the year PIP bonus is another awesome perk.

I think my co-workers are great people. The branch is very close knit with a positive work environment (for the most part.) It is as though we celebrate something every other week!

As far as the competence of my co-workers, that varies. Not everyone is college educated, organized, or efficient. Also, my assistant manager used profanity while on the podium at our Christmas party, which my significant other found to be very unprofessional and distasteful.

I think that the potential for career growth would be far better in Virginia at Headquarters. People here do not know what the University of Virginia is.

My biggest complaint would be the fact that I only work 25 hours a week but am expected to have my entire week cleared in order to accommodate the varying hours of the position. There is not much room for balancing work life with my extracurricular activities. In addition to not being able to compromise my work schedule, my branch just implemented a no switching shift policy, which makes it even more difficult to control my schedule. I wanted to volunteer at the State Judiciary and was told that I could not switch my schedule with other employees because it is not an emergency. (Keep in mind we would have been switching the same number of hours a day with the only real swap being a morning shift with an evening shift). However, on more than two occasions, after I was already given my schedule, my supervisors modified my schedule because they forgot to accommodate a co-worker's leave request. As a former retail manager who accommodated the schedules of 44 employees, this to me is laziness and disorganization. Instead of editing the schedule on a master schedule, the supervisors have the schedule changes written on a million post it notes scattered around their desks!

My branch has and I expect will continue to experience a high turnover of part-time workers. It is a wonder they would rather spend money training new employees every month rather than trying to retain the qualified ones they already have. There is no respect for the part-time employee.