Working at Nationwide Insurance Company — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Nationwide Insurance Company pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Nationwide Insurance Company

From Dublin, Ohio — 08/13/2010

Unfortunately I am one of these CSRs who works in a call center. I was hired under the premise that I'd be taking phone calls from policyholders to make changes to their auto and homeowner's policies. Also I was told we'd be helping out the agents if they called. I hate every minute of every day of my job and this stress & anxiety has bled over into my personal life away from work. Every phone call is a PO'd policyholder yelling (and swearing) about their rates going up or how we screwed them by cancelling their policy (usually due to them not paying their bill). The agents call us and are usually pretty rude (some are very nice, but more are not). We are being paid to be whipping posts and have to take whatever is dished out. I can't imagine if I was an agent at a local NWide office that I would have policyholders coming in and sitting down at my desk and yelling and using profanities at me. I am licensed in Personal Lines. Most policyholders state that they call us instead of their agent because they don't like their agent. When a PH is with Nationwide Sales Solutions (NSS) we sometimes suggest them possibly going to a local agent to get the personal/one-on-one relationship and most of them would rather call us to handle their auto and homeowner's needs. That's pretty bad when you dislike your agent so much you would rather take your chances with a faceless stranger each time you call in. Also, many PHs are calling and telling us that the phone number to their agent no longer is connected and they haven't been notified (nor have we) that their agent is no longer working for NWide. A majority of our calls are from Agents who don't know what they're doing and when we give them an answer they don't like, they argue with us and tell us we're wrong! If you don't like what we tell you when you call the call center....don't call us. Figure it out own your own! I'm actively looking for another job and am thinking about fast food so at least when I get yelled at and sworn at, the person will have to look me in the eye and not be some coward from another state who has nothing better to do than to call us and complain about some claim that NWide screwed them on 20 years ago. I mean come on. Really?

From Des Moines, IA — 07/26/2010

Working at Nationwide has been great for the past two and a half years. I have seen many new supervisors and managers and everyone adapts to the change really well. The positive turnover is outstanding which speaks to the growth potential of the company. I go in to work every day happy that I work for Nationwide with such an outstanding team. I couldn't be more pleased with my current supervisor and management teams. I am working on advancing to a supervisor position myself and have received a lot of help and support from management. Overall working at Nationwide has been the best job I have ever had.

From Columbus, OH — 05/06/2010

I worked at nationwide as a contractor for 2 months and I have to say its one of the best companies I have worked for so far.

Pay: The pay for me being a temp was very decent above what most temp jobs pay.

Respect: You get respect if you do a good job just like everywhere else.

Benefits: Since I was a temp I was not eligible, but from what I read on-line and have worked in benefits at my previous job the Benefits package is very good.

Job Security: From what I have seen it is pretty good

Work/Life Balance: The best I have every seen people tend to leave at a decent hour and your noting working till 7 pm at night.

Career Potential/Growth: Very good if you want to work in the insurance industry I was given the chance to interview for several full time positions while at Nationwide. They where not in my career field so I chose not to purse them, but their is difficult lots of growth potential.

Location: Downtown Columbus great location but traffic and paying for parking stinks.

Co-Worker Competence: Good everyone was very informed on their position.

Work Environment: Great it was fun yet professional and my supervisors tended to really care about me

From Columbus, OH — 05/06/2010

Nationwide has been good to me throughout the years.

From columbus, ohio — 04/23/2010

i have not worked here very long, however, the good thing about nationwide is the number of affairs everyone is willing to engage. i have never been some place where everyone is such a sleep around, look at the sr. managers, divisional, etc...it's a frenzy. Going out with co-workers is easier than tappin' college tail. How many of these folks are sleeping around, divorcing, get married to their f-buddy? this place is great.

From Des Moines — 04/21/2010

Des Moines is a great place to live and work, and Nationwide is an important business for Central Iowa. They have contributed a lot to a growing and vibrant city center. As an employer, Nationwide has the same types of pluses and negatives as most large company. However there is a lot of advancement potential with Nationwide, maybe not right now in the current economic times, but they will be around and growing for a long time. Most people here appreciate the work environment and thier co-workers. Benefits are top notch for today's world, and the company pays at the average for this industry, and better than most in Iowa. All in all, this is a good company to work for and should be for awhile.

From Nationwide Central — 04/06/2010

Nationwide is obviously a company that experiences it's own fair share of ups and downs, wrongs and rights. We are still operating and providing coverage however the overall profit position of our company has shifted significantly over the last 10 years.

My role allows me to impact the outcome of the positions other's keep and I do what I can with mild ability to be fair and honest in an intense industry such as insurance. Naturally, leaders will always be lead by inner principles and thoughts, while attempting to implement corporate strategies amongst the workforce. I could certainly provide a descriptive breakdown on how I rated my position, co-workers and company, but ultimately I recognize people are at the heart of this business whether they are customers, regulators or compensated employees. That said, I have enjoyed my tenure with Nationwide and will continue to showcase the talents and gifts I have been fortunate enough to obtain over my years of experience, hard work and dedication to improving myself and impacting those around me to the best of my ability.

From Dublin Ohio — 02/20/2010

Nationwide is a large company and not all the experiences are the same. There are many negative comments on this site about Nationwide and they may be warranted - I have no idea what those individuals experienced. I can say that my experience at Nationwide has been very positive. I am in the Life Company and feel that we have solid leadership, a positive work environment, co-workers who care for each other, our customers, and our company. Pay is decent, especially in today's environment. Benefits could be better, however, most people forget that we have a defined benefit plan which will improve our quality of life during retirement (most people don't understand this important and expensive benefit). If you are an unhappy associate working somewhere at Nationwide - look to move around within the company - I promise you there is growth and other good things going on within the Life company. Come join us!

From Arizona — 01/28/2010

Representing the claims department of Western Heritage, a Nationwide company (as all of our letters state). I love working here. Management actually respects you and trusts you to act professionally. Here's to hoping Uncle Nate doesnt move in and change things up. Western Heritage is actually making the company money so please let us be.

From Carmel, IN — 01/10/2010

The experience at NW is based on where you are, who you work for, and what you are doing. You can work side by side with someone who is making a lot more or working fewer hours. There is a general lack of consistency that is driven largely by local senior management. If you are lucky you will get decent pay, but not great, and a good work life balance. If you work for the wrong manger, who reports to the wrong director, then you are in trouble. I have had times where I've worked way too many hours, I've had jobs here with good balance. I've had trouble getting the raises I had earned, and then later I had good luck. Again, driven by local senior management.

The story has changed in the last year. There is no job security at NW anymore. They are purging tons of highly qualified and high pay folks, centralizing a lot of jobs, and moving some jobs overseas. Offices are closing at an alarming rate around the country all while NW remains financially solid. I had finally found a great job, a great manager, and a great office full of people who are easy to get along with. Now they are closing the office and everyone but a few essential field adjusters are losing their jobs.

The days of decent raises are over. 1% is average for an achieves employee and more managers have taken the line that an exceeds is not possible. Promotions are few and far between. They are moving to a model that looks similar to Progressive. Few buildings, fewer employees, keep them in the low pay grades and work them until they leave. The bonus program is a joke, rarely paying anything worth mentioning. The one shining positive was they always had great benefits but those are starting to erode as they chip away at the traditional pension plan. This company is cutting people and money all over the place. If you are thinking of going to work for NW then be careful. They are not moving in a positive direction from an employee standpoint.