Working at National Instruments — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about National Instruments pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at National Instruments

From Austin, TX — 01/31/2010

NI is a great place to work, but I don't imagine I'll stick around for more than 5 years. After moving out on their 'AE' department (where most people start), I found myself in a less friendly work environment working long hours. NI doesn't give raises based on position, but rather on merit. The theory is that if you work hard you'll get a raise. The only problem is I worked my ass off for 2 years and never got a raise due to the economy and now I'm working in a much harder environment and am still paid the same. They've been quite vocal that there will not be any pay raises in 2010, which means I've got another year at the same below-average salary. I make 57,000 a year working my ass off 50-60 hours a week. I know many engineers in Austin that make 75K and work 40 hours a week. I imagine after another 3 years I'll look for work elsewhere.

From Austin,texas — 11/28/2009

I have been at NI for many years. The pay has always been well below market but management feels "total" compensation is well above average and they push the casual environment as a big plus. Having been there for years, I have seen the culture go into the toilet in all areas except for R&D and possibly marketing, which is really an extension of R&D. The company has home grown management that has little or no exposure to how things are done in the rest of the industry. NI is currently suffering from a huge case of group think, and though they feel they are Innovative, I know from experience they are stuck in their old ways and can not get out. They are in desperate need of some fresh blood in all areas. On the plus side, they have never had lay-offs so job security is a big plus, but they would definitely benefit from a lay off or two. All too often I have witnessed terrible employees ride for years before they finally are given a severance package to leave quietly. When I started, NI was a great place to work. It probably still is for starting Engineers, but anything else is seen as an expense and squeezed in tough times.

From Austin, TX — 02/02/2009

National Instruments is a great company to start off your career, especially if you are a degree-holding engineer out of college. NI's pay is not the best in the industry, but the experience you gain is well worth the amount pay lacks while you are young. Motivated indivduals will have the opportunity to quickly move into positions with an impact on the business (typically sales, marketing, or R&D). Founded by engineers, R&D is the heart of the company, supported by sales and marketing. Product marketing offers the opportunity to work and travel abroad on a regular basis, while sales allows you to essentially run your own business in your territory in the field. Sales and marketing positions also allow for lots of interaction with customers, which really help young employees grow and learn and see many different applications.

Like any company, NI has strong and weak managers. Most managers will not micro manage your tasks, and let you "innovate" and try new things, for better or worse. NI promotes based on performance, not on ability to manage which can hurt them. No matter what management position you are in however, all of NI's business decisions are really made by a core group of leaders, which has a very "clicky" feel to it. One of NI's downfalls is they are often blinded by its employees lack of industry experience, and has a bad taste towards MBAs as they have lost many of their best leaders in the past to business school and prospects of higher pay as their skills develop over time.

Overall however, especially in tough economic times, NI will bend over backwards to cut costs and look at other alternatives before laying off any employees. NI is an extremely stable employeer - they will take measures to reduce costs, but fearing where your next paycheck will come from should not be a concern. Combine that will young, motivated employees in a position with hands-off management, travel, and strong beenfits and you have a strong employeer.

From Austin, TX — 11/27/2007

NI is good. If you are smart, talkative and do not like formalities, you'll enjoy working there. Internal culture is great and very flexible. You'll meet all upper management and CEO downstairs in the cafeteria every day. There are no hard schedules, timesheets - just once a month, lots of opportunities to learn. The benefit package according to american standards is extremely good.
On the bad side, the pay isn't very high (but there is no state tax in TX!). Most of NI's employees are very young people, most fresh out of college, extremely smart. Hardly anyone is above 35. To make a career in NI you'll need more than just experience or skill. You'll actually have to show leadership, enthusiasm and first of all great personality to find common language with all these young people.

From Austin TX — 08/08/2007

The pay was not great, but the benefits were good and the majority of the staff were friendly and fun. Management varies, some were excellent and some were biased, but no one was too bad. Job security was excellent, but if you don't have a degree, or the willingness to put in serious time, you won't advance far or make much more than when you were hired. No matter what they tell you. It was a fun place to work and I'd recommend it, just be aware that you will not be well paid and though they do practice internal promotion, it might take years to get to where you'd like to be.