Working at National Heritage Academies — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about National Heritage Academies pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at National Heritage Academies

From Toledo — 02/22/2010

I work at Winterfield Venture Academy and love it. My coworkers are wonderful and I have a great group of kids. I look forward to going to work everyday. My leadership team always has an open door if I ever need anything. NHA offers great benefits and professional development opportunities. I would highly recommend NHA,,specifically Winterfield, to anybody looking for a job.

From Grand Rapids, Michig — 11/18/2008

I have worked in both the public school setting and at NHA. My administration is amazing. They are supportive and have helped me through extremely difficult situations. The professional development has been useful and relevant to my needs. NHA really invests in their teachers. I think that goes beyond what we make however! NHA uses performance bonus's and other types of bonus's to encourage teacher's to do their best. I have never seen a school where so many teachers want to stay extra because they want to do the best for students. This can get a little overwhelming when you have a full caseload and you are trying to balance a family into this! I feel like NHA is my other family sometimes to and when one of us hurts we all hurt too.

From Canton, Michigan — 08/21/2008

I have worked at Canton for a few years now and my compensation is not growing as I had hoped. Initially it was comparable, however now my experience and success is not equivacably matched finacially (looking at local public schools) The health benefits are wonderful, its what keeps us all comming back. The management has changed several times and top managers are cold, impersonal and mean. The management often chooses favorites and zeros in abusively on those who just may need support to grow. Some employees are allowed to participate in training and others go years with out opportunities to be trained. Respect is low from the adminisrator, but high among the fellow staff- we encourage each other and are empathetic to one another. The administration expects teachers to prioritize thier commitment to their career rather to their families, sharply contrary to the statement at corportate of families first. We think they have no idea what goes in our school. We are very successful with our students, so it looks like Disney Land to them. Teachers are bullied and shamed if time off is requested for family related needs. Referances are made to the large number of applicants looming just for an opportunity to interview, implying that we can be replaced, easily. The administrator has a habit of entering classrooms and grilling the students, frightening them. This situation is often followed up with a come see me in my office meeting of "your kids have no idea what your point is when you teach." The point is she scares them out of their wits!This year we had a huge turn over due to this fact. My coworkers are remarkably dedicated, competant and supportive. I am so envious of those coworkers who were able to find new jobs.

From 3850 Broadmoor Ave — 05/05/2008

I have worked at National Heritage Academies (NHA) for over 6 years and I work at the Service Center in Grand Rapids, MI. The attitude at the Service Center is much different than perceived. Our mission is to challenge each child to achieve... The end of the sentence is left open because we know that each child is created by God to do different things. Our intent is for each child to have the opportunity to attend college after high school graduation.

Pay: NHA is funded by tax payers just as traditional public schools are. The difference is that NHA receives approxiately 70% of what a traditional school receives. So, the management of funds is extremely important. I work in IT and my salary is probably 80% of what I would make in the public sector. But, it's plenty for my wife, myself and our son.

Benefits: The benefits are great. We have Blue Cross Blue Shield and definitely have some of the best benefits out there. NHA also participates in 401k and contributes towards individuals 401k. NHA also re-imburses some of your college tuition.

Job Security: As long as there are kids we will be needed.

Work/Life Balance: They don't tell you to stop working after 40 hours, but they are extremely family oriented so they are understanding of doctors appointments, car issues, ect... Just make your time up on your own. If you do work over 40 hours and are productive and efficient than it is recognized.

Career Potential/Growth: Growth is up to the individual. You can grow as much as you want and there are an abundance of professional develepment opportunities and NHA is willing to pay for it. Each summer there is an event held in downtown Grand Rapids for all new incoming NHA teachers. There are around 500 to 800 new teacher hires each year NHA and provides orientation to the company, instruction and curriculum as well as other professional development opportunities which may count as college credit. Each fall, all teachers are flown into Grand Rapids for 3 days of professional development, which also may count as college credits. I don't know what traditional public schools pay for their teacher's professional development hours. There are other opportunities throughout the year for both service center staff and school staff to grow. Career potential, as it relates to "climbing the ladder" is limited because of the nature of teaching. There are opportunities throughout the school for leadership roles. Those teachers and service center staff in leadership positions or potential to be in leadership positions are singled out to participate in a week long training called, 'Heart of a Leader.' This training is done by a group in Texas called, "The Flippen Group."

Work Environment: Right now, the service center is focused on the environments at the schools. One thing we have heard loud and clear is that safety is number one for our students. Each school now has a lobby guard which does a quick background check on each visitor's driver license and provides the school secretary with a report on that person. This checks the national sex offender's list for matches and alerts the secretary to this before the visitor can enter the building. At the service center, we are located in a business park and there are no safety concerns.

All in all, I plan on retiring at NHA although that another 40 years down the road. I have a long way to go, but I hope to spend it here. Working in sales or manufacturing could not excite me. Waking up Monday mornings would be a drag. When you wake up to help children create a brighter future for themselves making widgets just doesn't compare. I love NHA and the people who work here.