Working at National Counseling Group — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about National Counseling Group pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at National Counseling Group

From From near an airport and a mall — 04/17/2010

NCG is ok. Just like all jobs, this one has its ups and downs. Overall, I have had a positive expereince and love the work I do. However, it can be a bit much, especially when the company (or certain individuals in the company) expect you to work extra hours without being paid because it is the NCG way. However, in any job that you work we should always remember that it is just that a job. We should take time out to spend with our families and those who love us for us. NCG is just a job that pays the bills and should have it place just as any other job. My advice is to work your hours and then enjoy your life. Do not get caught up in the work or the forever changing policies that come form the SMT. RELAX, RELATE, AND RELEASE! Enjoy life while you still have a chance and do not sweat the small stuff.

From Virginia — 04/02/2010

After hearing about this website through a coworker, and reading the comments, it is certain to say that not every company as big as NCG can make everyone happy.
Negatives: Work/Life Balance.
I knew of NCG before taking the job and the demands placed and it was honestly even more difficult than I imagined. In order to capture hours when children are in school, you have to work nights and weekends. I believe in the work and helping others, so I can not blame NCG for this. It is the job. Am I going to stay at NCG forever? Probably not, but that is not because of NCG or anything they are doing. I just can't maintain this type of schedule if I raise a family.
Positives: The remaining categories.
Reading alot about "sucking up." There are many that I have come into contact with that do not "suck up" and are rewarded and respected for counseling skills. After interacting with the director and supervisors, they are not people that make it a point to reward people that kiss up. This company is no different than any other business, they look at numbers just like my previous job did at the CSB, but what I like is that you get back what you put in. The managers work hard and support me. They understand the difficulty of the position and do the best they can to help.
Overall, work/life balance is the most negative aspect of the job, but from my experience, it isi no different than any other agency that does this work.

From Virginia — 03/06/2010

I guess I sort of expected some of the site to be a reflection of disgruntled types, but its fairly obvious when you read the reviews and they slam the company with -5's. ha! I have worked for N CG for about a year and a half. The start was tough because its not a typical 9-5 job, so it took some getting used to. As for these reviews.... There are a lot of things people are just making up in their comments - So I will try and give as fair a review as I can, and you be the judge: PAY - its very good for people who have social service degrees. I could go be a case manager and make a straight 30K a year, but I make way more than that as a counselor. They have a lot of bonuses, incentives, and the harder you work, the more you make. RESPECT - the supervisors and director know how hard the job is, and they do everything to help you if they can. Its a thankless job sometimes from the clients, but the company treats its people very well. BENEFITS - its the best health plan Ive ever had, but its expensive. They give you 401 K and a ton of ways to get bonuses. JOB SECURITY - gave it a 5 here because it seems there are always more people in the world that need help than people that can give it. If you are clinically sound and want to work hard, you will fit right in. WORK/LIFE BALANCE - gave it a 0. This is a part that is a sacrifice. I wish I had more free time, as a counselor you are on call 24/7, but we are working with clients that have tough disorders. Its part of the job. CAREER GROWTH - definite 5. The company grows fast, and there are opportunities for you if you want to move up (business ladder or clinical ladder), especially if you want to move around the state. LOCATION - ha ha, I work out of my car! Its great, your schedule is the most flexible and your location is where your client is. CO-WORKER COMPETENCE - people are great, its a hard job, so NCG makes sure the personalities are positive ones since the job is so demanding. they ahve a mentoring program that is good, and the training is great. WORK ENVIRONMENT - this is tough, because you go to where the clients are. This could be a disheveled home, a school, a nice home, a living facility. You need to be prepared for anything (good or bad). Well, I hope I was helpful. Seems like its pretty easy to tell the sour grapes from the people giving and honest stance. Bottom line is: its a really great job for people that want to do clinical work with social service degrees, and you'll make a ton more money than a desk job at social services. Its not 9-5 though, its reserved for those who want to sacrifice to make a difference. I'm glad I work for a company that rewards that.

From Virginia Bach — 02/07/2010

I love my job. I have been supported by individuals from CBC positions to the SMT. The VB office is very family orients-it's like my 2nd family. This job is tough and it's not for everybody. NCG is looking for career persons, not those who merely want a job. I have been with the company for 3 years and yes, there are things that could be considered "cons", but that comes with any job. NCG definitely has more "pros" about working here.

From Roanoke, VA — 02/01/2010

I have been working for National Counseling Group for a little over a year. I am currently a supervisor in the Roanoke office and I can honestly say that this company has been amazing to me. When I finished my MA and started working at NCG I was mentored and guided by many amazing professionals who gave me advice that eventually earned me a supervisor position. Since working here I have grown professionally and have learned more than any classroom could teach me in clinical and professional areas. I have always been able to express my concerns to my supervisors and site directors and have constantly gotten back good advice or assistance with my problem. Our office is like a second family and I know that where I lack one of my co-workers or other supervisors excel in that area. Since working at NCG I have experienced the death of my father and my co-workers and supervisors were incredible as far as giving me the time I needed and helping me grow from the experience as best as I could. Home based counseling is not for everyone. When I was in the field I would work sometimes 60 or 70 hours a week but that was my decision. I am happy to come to work each day and know that I leave some of my clinical knowledge in my staff or help my client's that I still see through difficult times. It's rewarding work and an amazing company that I am happy to work for.

From Virginia Beach, VA — 01/31/2010

National Counseling Group is a good company to work for. There is job security as the company is expanding and opportunity for growth. The company feels like family and cares about their workers. There is much support. Of course every job has it drawbacks, and if you are not a person who can handle scheduling their own time and/or priortize their time, then this may not be the job for you.It is home based counseling, therfore there is a lot of driving. But you learn how to schedule your clients by area to cut down on the distance traveled from one client to the other. I have worked for the company for 3 years and know that I am helping others to find their way in life. It is a rewarding experience. I make my own schedule and also have the ability to increase my income if need be.

From Virginia Beach, VA — 12/30/2009

National Counseling Group is ok. Its what you make of it. The company views are not often realistic. In order to move up, managment likes for you to attend company events, donot speake your mind, and go with the flow. Alot of the supervisors are not experience and have poor leadership skills. However, they are in position, only due to their credentials.

From Manassas, VA — 09/24/2009

I believe this is a company with a cultural expectation of excellence, which is a significant asset. As an employee of approximately one year, I have observed that those who want "a paycheck" without working for it will struggle. Pros and cons were explained over the process of the interview. Those who struggle tend to be those with minimal clinical background who are more interested in paycheck than serving the clients.

From VIRGINIA — 09/23/2009

I like where I work...Maybe it's the surroundings...

From Virginia — 09/15/2009

NCG has been a gem to me, I've heard all the negative comments made regarding this company and have come to realize that the comments that are and were made are from people who still are employed here. what does that mean? If you're so unhappy the door swings both ways. We are not here to make you rich, we are here for the clients that we serve. The feeling of accomplishment and meaning you get when you see how your interaction has changed someone's life for the better. If your looking for a bank roll,,then you are in the wrong field,and i doubt your able to get a job at the fortune 500 hundred. this job is for people who wanna make difference in someone life. So i ask you to look in the mirror and ask yourself "what do i wanna do with my life"?, if its not helping others and reaping the benefits (emotionally,mentally and financially) then this job is not right for you and you may need to take up another career. NCG has been wonderful to me and so many others that have returned to thank our counselors for the wonderful work they've done, and its a company i strongly believe in.