Working at Mission Renaissance — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Mission Renaissance pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Mission Renaissance

From California — 01/20/2010

Positive experience overall. I am a former employee of Mission: Renaissance, and I worked at all levels of the organization over the course of many years. So I know what I'm talking about when I say it is a good, if unusual company to work for. The people there are first, first, first rate. Second to none. Upbeat, enthusiastic, hard working. Everyone from the top down really tries very hard to make the company successful. Despite the fact the pay is tough early on, there is a genuine interest to see people succeed. I would guess that of the 3 negative reviews at least 2 of them have not much experience working outside of college and are in for a rude awakening at any other company. Every company has its good and bad. M:R is no different. It definitely isn't for everyone. Some people are turned off by their structure, and yes, the owner is a Scientologist. But like the other reviewer said: Big Deal! I was never "indoctrinated," never "converted" and that never stopped me from advancing and doing well with them. The bad parts: They really do expect you to live and breathe the company. It is easy to lose perspective there. It starts to feel like teaching art is life or death. Don't start working there expecting to be there for life. They want employees to be there for a lifetime career, but very few make it past 4 years. It just isn't an easy place that way. It is a great place to get started, and maybe they will franchise or license out for true entrepreneurs who want to make it their life. Otherwise, consider it a great short term stop. The hours and driving can be real tough as other reviewers said - unless you happen to live close to a studio. If you're married with young kids, forget about it. The classes just don't mesh with a typical schedule. Pay and benefits are so-so. Unless you count learning how to improve your art as a benefit - and they do consider that it is. The good: Larry's method, if embraced as a training in fundamentals, is fantastic. It is basic skill instruction taught at a very sophisticated and fine degree (at least while I was there years ago). I cannot fathom the reviewers who say it isn't very good. The absolute best at skill building. Oh, and the vast majority of employees are honest, hard working, fun loving folk. Take the bad reviews with a grain of salt (unhappy people always complain) and see for yourself - a great place for someone who loves teaching and wants to start a life in fine art if not finish it there.

From Glendale — 12/05/2009

Mission: Renaissance is the best place that I've ever worked for. Co-workers are very nice and very respectful. The work environment is just perfect. I can't believe there are people who write such things about a company like this.

From Los Angeles — 11/14/2009

I have to disagree with some of the previous ratings. Though everyone is entitled to their own opinion, as well their experience. When I first came to Mission Renaissance I had been working TV production for years, I was looking for something that I could do part time so that I could do my own art. Mission Renaissance was perfect for me personally in achieving what I wanted to do. When your interviewed, they don't lie or mask the pay. They were very upfront with me about it. As long as I was doing my own art on the side and selling it, I could support myself. And this I did for several happy years. I am not a Scientologist, not have I ever. I also don't believe any religion should be in the work place. In my time working with the art school, never once did I ever run into any 'Scientology' stuff. So the owners a Scientology, big deal. If he had tried to covert me, I would be out of there in a second, but that never happened. The corporate teams is actually really nice and easy to deal with. I also wanted to point out that most of the comments below are from people who appeared to have only been there for a couple months. Most jobs you get, you are going to start off at the bottom, it takes longer to get to the top then a couple months in most places. So your pay is shitty for the first 6 months, deal with it, get a part time job while you work your way up. It took me honestly a year to get there, then it was good money after that. In regards to the 'method' it's just like any good art program. Teaches you the basics of fine art. It teaches people who never learned to draw to draw. They teach you one-on-one, work with the individual on what they need to learn. I have a BA in fine art, and I learned a lot from the classes, it filled in some holes that I didn't know about. I'm not saying that there is no other program out there like this, but the method in which it's taught, it's very helpful. Without Mission Renaissance I would not be where I am today. I don't work there anymore, but now I am a successful illustrator.

From Glendale, CA — 08/23/2007

I can't disagree more with the previous posting. My experience with Mission: Renaissance has been nothing but positive. I love going to work everyday. My day starts at 2:00 pm and goes until 7:00, 8:00 at the latest. I get to teach children how to draw and paint and watch them grow as artists. There is nothing like seeing their beaming faces as they complete a beautiful work of art, accomplishing something they never thought possible. Better yet, I have personally benefited from the training, far more than I ever did in years of school. I truly became an artist through the training I received at Mission: Renaissance. Where else does a company care so much as to pay you to train thoroughly and to the point that you can draw and paint like Rembrandt? Initially the pay is fair - and yes, even better when you start managing a studio and, unlike the earlier posting it happened rather quickly for me. The beauty of running a studio is that you get to focus on teaching your students and the central office takes care of all of the business affairs for you - it's like owning your own business without the stress. I've worked in a lot of different companies and find that I am treated with far more care and respect at Mission: Renaissance than any other. In my dealings with the executives at Mission: Renaissance I have found that they are both knowledgeable and personable. Any problem is addressed immediately and to my satisfaction. If ever I want to approach my boss, the President or even the Owner, there is never barrier its a true open door policy and they are there to help me in any way they can so as to help me succeed. They have taken great care to document and outline the information I need to not only teach my students but also in how to manage my studio in such a way as to make things run smoothly. I know for a fact that they have spent countless hours and expense in developing systems and materials for my benefit. Their goal is to make art available to everyone and I see that they are taking measures to achieve that goal - through expanding their studios to worldwide distribution of DVDs and online courses. I have never experienced a company that actually does what it says it will do. What I have noticed in my time here is that if they say they are going to do it, they do! Nothing gets in their way! The truth is, Mission: Renaissance lives up to its promises. Perhaps the earlier poster should examine if he/she lived up to theirs.