Work at Microsoft — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Microsoft pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Microsoft

From San Francisco — 01/04/2009

ABC sfadfs

From Redmond — 10/27/2008

In an operations team where the thankless work never ends day or night, nothing is sacred. I have no boss but about 3 people talk to me like they're my boss and the criticism never ends.

From New York — 07/17/2008

I like working in Microsoft very much cause of great brand, pay and career perspectives. Job locates just near my home, that's why it takes only 10 minutes to get to my working place. Co-workers are mostly fine. Benefits are at the Microsoft's level.

From Redmond, WA — 12/29/2007

I have worked for Microsoft on two occasions. Both for approximately 2 years. During my first stint, I was well rewarded for my efforts, but I had a hard time figuring out where I would progress my career after that point. I left the company to pursue consulting for a year, and after leaving I realized how good I had it in terms of work environment and benefits.

When I returned to Microsoft, I found myself promoted on the basis of the level of work I was doing twice in a little over two years. Both times it came as a surprise, showing that they value the work I do for them, and are interested in driving me forward at the rate I am able to absorb.

The work environment is not for everyone. You definitely have to set limits on what you can and cannot accomplish. There are also a number of people who lack the ability to define limits, whom you are in competition with for rewards. The good news there is that if you work smart, you can overcome their overcommitment with results. In the end it is the results that get measured, not the hours worked.

From Redmond, WA — 11/02/2007

Out of all the companies I have worked for, this company was the best! They offer the best benefits (401k and Medical insurance) around! Free drinks and you could wear shorts to work - who can say that? The work was challenging and you were recognized for achieving over goals. This company really knows how to take care of their employees. However, like all companies layoffs are inevitable. Still the best place I have ever worked!

From Redmond, WA — 10/15/2007

best company to work for ever

From Redmond, WA — 06/06/2007

I've been at Microsoft since 1999. There were times that I loved and there were times that I hated. I've worked for 12 managers in that time...most good, some bad.

It has some ups and downs, depending on where I moved between organizations - it's what I think most large corporations are like...in some corners with a few levels of sane management above you it can be great. But with a nut above you it can be hell...but then it's time to move away.

Pay is great, and Microsoft has a lot of respect in the industry. The thing that I've found compared to other companies is that Microsoft has the more capacity for going deep into a given area than anywhere else in teh world. Do you want to be the guy who knows everything there is to know about a given part of technology? Working for Microsoft can give you that option...which opens up lots of opportunities for moving outside the company to specialty software vendors.

The essential lessons learned from Microsoft for me is: keep moving around. Most advancement comes from landing in a new job and doing well...promotion ensues. If you hang around for a bit, inertia kicks in and it takes twice as long to make any forward progress.

Co-worker competence: the best in the world. Of course you're competing with them in a zero-sum pool of promotions and bonuses...welcome to the 21st century, it works both ways.

From Redmond, WA — 10/20/2006

Great company to work for!

From Dublin — 08/29/2006

Rubbish place to work. Been here 2 months and i havent been given any work to do yet. Im going mad with boredom. Think they think im an incompetent fool even though they haven't had even a vauge chance to prove otherwise.

From redmond, wa — 06/21/2006

Don't go into Microsoft if you want to be a sales superstar. There is no such thing. Commissions are team based and the team has very little influence over the results of their partner channel. Real management is so far removed from the field sales teams, there is very little way to influence policy, which is handed down arbitrarily by a manager who can hardly explain it. Every July teams get reorg'd, so each year is spent in startup mode and no one has to take responsibilty for lack of results because their roles change every year. Like Scott Adams states in a Dilbert comic, if you can't show progress, reorganize and people will think you are doing something important. However, if you're the type of person who can go with the flow no matter where it takes you and you like working for a brand name corporation with good benefits, go for it. A lot of other people will be envious of you so at least your ego will have something to hang onto.