Working at MetLife — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about MetLife pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at MetLife

From Ohio — 09/15/2010

As a fellow financial services representative, I have nothing but great things to say about MetLife. As someone stated earlier (again, I'm talking about reps here) if you do the work, you'll be rewarded. Are you asked to put together a natural market? Yes, why wouldn't yout tell the people you know and care about what you do and how you might be able to help them. If a sibling was in a car accident tomorrow and passed away, would you not feel guilty about never explaining to them what you do for a living and how you could help them? I've never been forced into selling anything to anybody, family member or not. The support from my immediate manager to the corporate support has been awesome. The training is held multiple times a week and I feel like they do a great job of helping me grow and build my practice. As in any other "sales" job, you have to prospect. You have to market your practice and yourself so that you can build a book of business. Do you think a doctor opens a practice and starts with 200 clients? Of course not, he has to build that client base through marketing and referrals. If you do the work and have a strong work ethic, the sky is the limit. If your looking for a handout, go to the government and ask them for some help. As far as fees and expenses go, yes they are present. Go to the "bank" and get the same job. See how the payout compares while including the "free" office space. Nothing is free, all companies are in business for one reason, to make money. If Met gave everyone free office space, free hardware/software, free "franchise fee", free infrastructure, compliance, phone connections, brochures, admin. help, etc, than the whole company would shut their doors. If you want to go out there and be an "independent", go for it. Just remember you have to lease office space, buy printers, fax machines, internet lines, electric bills, a receptionist, someone for the admin. duties, etc. There is a cost to doing business and if you do it this way I bet it's going to be pretty expensive. The fact that MetLife picks up these costs for the firs 2.5 years of employment is awesome. In conclusion, if you have a strong work ethic, want to make a difference in people's lives, have some flexibility (I've never missed one of my son's baseball games), and want to control the money you make in a year, then MetLife has a great opportunity.
P.S. The former employee that worked for 3 weeks and then went fishing for the next 15 weeks while collecting a paycheck says a lot. With that type of work ethic and morals, it's no wonder you failed. My guess is you'll be failing a lot.

From West Des Moines, Iowa — 09/05/2010

I really enjoyed working for the Metlife Annuity branch located in West Des Moines, Iowa. I felt there was great room for advancement, including a shadowing program where you could sit with other 'teams' to see if that job position is something you may be interested in. I also feel that Metlife has good job security. While most companies are laying off, I was working overtime at Metlife. The overtime though, was also a downfall. Upper management wanted all work done daily, and was not sympathetic to people that needed to leave work to pick up their children from daycare. I also felt like I was being micromanaged a lot, and I didn't like that. I do not need to be told every min of the day what I should be doing.

Overall, I think Metlife is a great company to work for, and I was sad to leave due to relocation.

From Tampa, FL — 02/20/2010

The Disability Claims department is the best place to work and is the best job I have ever had. MetLife truly implements a work/life balance and is honest to its external and internal customers!

From PA — 08/29/2009

MetLife Financial Services Rep. position is what you make of it, as is any sales position. I have been there over a decade and am pleased. The bad reviews are most likely coming from those who were in the business and could not hack it. If you put in the time and effort you will get rewarded. If you are lazy then yes, it is a bad job for you. Again, it is what you make it !!! MetLife is one of the largest and best and the support is there for you, but it is up to you to use it !!!

From New York, New York — 05/08/2009

The company itself is a well to do company with growth potential depending on what position you start with. The pay is quite a bit below the industry. I enjoy my co-works but the Management are unprofessional and talk about firing people while the door is open and everyone can hear. They talk about other employess while the door is open and there was time I over heard them talking about me. I feel that they just want to push you to make numbers and nothing you do is ever good enough for them. They hire anyone to be a financial advsior all you have to do is apply they just want to suck you dry of your market and then maybe they will keep you maybe they wont. The work from home thing is really for financial reps and does not apply to alot of other employees such as my self a recruiter.

From Dayton, Oh — 12/12/2008

Company doing a lot of layoffs that were not clearly told to the employees. The job pays well, but even though it says they are the best for working mothers, they are not always that good for those that need time off and don't have children. Not knowing how long you will have a job before it is outsourced is not a good feeling, and would be really nice if we were kept up more on what is going on with the company.

From northeast ohio — 08/29/2008

If you become a sales rep for this company there is a lot to consider.

Pay: when you first start its all peachy because you have a base salary and then after your introductory period it is commission based which can be tough. The quotas are pretty reasonable, but if you don't make it then you have to pay part of your benefits. And after a while of not making your quota you go bye bye. You also have to "rent" your office space and your laptop and pay other fees as well. Its best when partnered up with someone who does very well to split business. A relative of mine has been with the company for over 30 years and still only makes entry level pay, but she is not a sales rep.

Respect: Its average, the office I worked at was pretty mellow.

Benefits: The benefits you were pretty pimp, at least what I had.

Job Security: Don't make your quota - bye bye

Work life/balance: Pretty good, your hours can be very flexible depending on when you schedule appts with clients and such. Some days are mandatory like Call Day, where you spend the entire day calling potential clients.

Career potential/growth: Skies the limit with income potential, one rep i worked with made 6 figures his first year, but thats rare. As far as other positions, there really are no lateral or horizontal moves.
Location: Office locations vary.

Co-worker competence: sometimes they don't hire the brightest crayon in the box. Office managers will hire almost anyone they can to meet their recruiting quotas. And then they "help" them pass their exams.

Work Environment: Pretty average, good days and bad.

From NJ — 08/07/2008

With Met, I think it really depends upon the group/division. I have worked in two totally different units and have had two pretty different experiences. In the one group, the hours were long, and weekends were sometimes expected. My current situation is much less demanding in terms of the hours expected of me (however there is a lot of BS). Unlike one poster, I will have to disagree that there is an old boy network in some cases, which can protect bad managers.

From Rochester — 06/23/2008

Lets start out first by asking this question. How successful are you in this industry? If you are thinking about coming aboard with any Financial Company we have to consider our success rate for most employees. The industry average turn over rate is 90%. Meaning only 10% succeed.
MetLife and Snoopy is a wonderful company. The harder you work to create a practice not a business the better the pay off. I see complaints of the Annuity, however I ask have you seen our WMS? We as trusted advisors must uncover our clients true needs. This is done in our fact find. Those who critique the process have not done what they were hired to do. To make a difference in peoples lives, ask the questions they never thought about. At the end of the day we must face the mirror and either be happy with what we have done or not. Remember this is your practice.
MetLife gives us some of the best training in the industry. We are also not exclusive and may use over 70 different companies through our General Agency to provide our clients with the proper solutions to there concerns. The open door policy with upper level management and product information through the website or contacting your Wholesaler by cell phone folks is a wonderful piece to our practice.
I have heard the negatives and seen people come and go, but one rep told me this and I thought it was a great outlook. MetLife only wants those who will be successful. Reason why the standards are set so high. Always Laugh when one says Met should leave the investing to the Financial Professionals. Have you seen all that we have to offer? Let me know what company you go to and I will gladly call your clients and show them how a Professional works and the solutions we carry. I love Met and I am glad that the company supports me in helping to protect and save lives on a daily basis as this is a career of significant importance. What Part do you play?

From St. Louis, MO — 05/17/2008

Let me start off by saying how much I love my job. My title is Extended Customer Service Unit. I'm after hours property and casualty claims support. Basically, I'm the person you talk to for help with your claim after your adjuster has gone home. What I do is great for me because it's challenging without being stressful.

Pay: +3 - Pay starts at $10/hour, which is great for someone like me who is just out of high school with no college and little working experience. It supports a simple but comfortable life. If I ever decide that I'm not satisfied with how much I'm making right now, there is a lot of opportunity for advancement. (See Career Potential/Growth below.)

Respect: +5 - I sometimes feel like I'm bragging when I tell people about my job. It always really impresses everyone so it makes me feel proud. My supervisors are all very helpful but never micromanage. With any customer service job there is always the risk of talking to a customer that treats you poorly but it doesn’t happen to me enough to lower the score.

Benefits: 0 - I choose to work part time so I don't qualify for benefits. Benefits are available for those that do work full time, and I've never heard anything bad about them.

Job Security: +4 - The way I see it, as long as there are bad weather, car accidents, vandalism, and other incidents then there will always be a need for insurance claims. However, with any call center there is always the possibility of offshore outsourcing.

Work/Life Balance: +5 - As mentioned under Benefits, I choose to work part time so I enjoy plenty of freedom for hobbies and pets and friends and family. My supervisors have all been very understanding and accommodating when I've not been able to come in because of outside circumstances.

Career Potential/Growth: +5 - C. Robert Henrikson started out as an insurance agent setting up policies for customers. He worked his way up to chairman and chief executive. Enough said.

Location: -3 - I live about 20 miles away from the office, so location is probably the only bad thing for me. Commuting on the highway during rush hour traffic sometimes stretches a 30 minute trip into an hour and a half. With the price of gas the way it is, it's not uncommon for me to spend $80/week at the pump. I know I could probably find a closer job to save on gas but it says a lot about how much I love my job that I continue to work here.

Co-worker Competence: +5 - Everyone looks out for everyone. It's like a family here. There's always someone who is willing to trade hours with you, or even just order a pizza to share. Sometimes it's frustrating trying to work with inexperienced "newbies" but they usually get the hang of it pretty quickly. It's no wonder when there's a team of really great supervisors that are always ready to assist.

Work Environment: I would have selected +10 if I could've - I feel really "taken care" of here. It's not uncommon for the supervisors to order Crispy Creme donuts or Domino's pizza or Subway sandwiches for everyone on days when the call volume is especially high. The building itself is architecturally beautiful and it's surrounded by a huge campus adorned with flowers and trees. The office I work in is surrounded by windows so there's always natural light and a gorgeous view overlooking a pond. In the Spring you can watch Canada geese raise their families. On my breaks I often wander the halls admiring the brilliant modern paintings and sculptures presented throughout the building. There's a health program called W.O.W (Working on Wellness) that emphasizes health and stress management. In fact, the building has a "stress-free room" with a fainting couch and small library to go if you’re not feeling 100%. MetLife prides itself on its diversity. It's an equal opportunity employer and really goes all out on Black History Month and even GLBT History Month.

MetLife seems to understand that happy emploees means happy customers. :)