Working at Menards Inc. — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Menards Inc. pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Menards Inc.

From Brainerd, MN — 08/29/2010

I currently work at Menards, and I have to admit it is the worst work environment i've ever had to deal with. While my co-workers are typically pretty nice, the management is corrupt and likes to play favorites a lot. They are seriously write-up happy, and over all complete jerks.

I've only been there since may, and i'm already getting to the point where I want to call it quits. Even though the pay is decent, I just can't stand working in such a negative environment. The stress alone has been causing me to get sick, well that and the fact that they never turn on the "big fans" because they dont like to pay the bills.

I say big fans because from what i've been told we don't even technically have A/C. Just these giant fans randomly placed throughout the store.

Both the guests and employees complain of the heat. It's been so bad some days, i've had to go home early because i've thrown up from over heating. It was 90 outside and we didn't even have the fans on. Completely and utterly ridiculous.

While I could go on and on and on about reasons why I hate this place, I think i'll just sum it all up to the management sucks, the job itself sucks, and I wouldn't recommend this place to anyone.

From Wisconsin — 05/03/2010

Not bad for retail.....

What is the policy for using equipment that is used for putting away things like windows or doors?
How about for pulling pallets? Do you need a license and does management have and follow a clear company wide policy that managers must enforce for this?
Which equipment requires a license?

From Minnesota — 12/13/2009

Pay- The pay is fantastic. As a part-time worker who's been with the company for 6+ years, I am extremely grateful for the pay I receive compared to the amount of work I do. Being in the front end and working as a cashier/head-cashier, there is little physical labor involved and most of the work is done assigning tasks to people and keeping track of the money that goes in and out. I get a 9.90 rate plus 2.50 on weekends/holidays. Being that I work every single weekend (my own choice), this adds approximately 35-40 dollars to every paycheck. That's HUGE! I'm greatly blessed in this area.

Respect- I feel I'm respected by most of my coworkers, as well as many of the customers who come in on a regular basis and spend thousands of dollars in any given year. I try to make work as fun as possible as well as doing favors for other people when needed. Most times, they are more than happy to help me out when I'm in a pinch. Most everyone in my store is hardworking and gets the job done. Sure, the G.O. can cause a bit of paranoia from time to time, but I usually find they leave you alone if you're doing what you're supposed to be doing.

Benefits- The benefits are, in a word, awesome. Christmas bonuses and IPS checks that increase every year, not to mention a random gift in the mail for just about every holiday. Can't speak too much to the insurance that is offered, as I do not use it. But as far as the bonuses, profit sharing, and extra weekend pay are concerned, it's a deal that really cannot be beaten if you are a part-time worker. Full timers are a different matter altogether, and I do not ever plan on becoming a full time worker at Menards (unless it is a position at HQ in Eau Claire). The time invested, travel involved (seminars, transfers), and constant oversight from G.O. are deterrents. Again, part time = GOOD, full time = NOT SO GOOD.

Job Security- I feel very comfortable with job security. I have many different skills and bits of knowledge that help me do my job very well around the store. I try to become looked at as a guy who can get things done for people when they need them to be, and I believe my superiors take note of this. There is certainly a high-turnover rate among part-time and young workers, but this is usually because of outside factors such as school, family, etc.

Work/Life Balance- Very happy with this. Part of the reason it works so well for me is because I'm employed in the front-end, where there are a TON of people who work in that department with me. This allows me added flexibility with scheduling that I probably could not get anywhere else in the store. I have worked the same shift on the exact same days for the past 6 months, and it is immensely helpful when you also need to attend college as well. If I need to pick up hours, they're usually able to find a spot for me, and I can earn additional income for myself this way. Also, I've met a LOT of friends through Menards. In that aspect, I'm truly grateful.

Career Potential/Growth- Probably average. Myself, I do not plan on working full time in retail, ever. Not just Menards. I'm going to school to open up other opportunities, and the idea of always working in this business does not appeal to me. However if you wish to advance, there always seem to be opportunities in other stores in the area, and transfers between locations are common. The pay can get good depending on your position and how long you've been with the company.

Location- Fantastic. I live about 5 minutes away and the commute is a piece of cake. Nothing else to say here.

CoWorker Competence- Most employees know what they are doing and strive to do a good job. Of course there are always a few that screw around too much or are just plain incompetent, but you usually don't see them around the store too long.

Work Environment- I enjoy the area in which I work. My employees are great and fun to talk to, and most of the guests are friendly and are easy to laugh and joke with. As with any job, there are times that aren't very fun and can be frustrating. But there's always someone else to lean on, and you usually forget all about it by the time your shift ends.

All in all, a good place to work. I believe I'm fortunate to have found a good store with good people and a good crop of guests who spend a lot of $$ and generally know what they're doing. Full timers may see a few things they like with this company. Those seeking part time work, however, need to apply at their nearest Menards store NOW!!! The things you have going for you are simply too good to pass up. The pay, flexibility, and friendly environment are second-to-none. Consider yourself lucky if you land a gig here, part timer!

Thanks for reading,

-Menards employee

From Lincoln, NE — 11/12/2009

I rated this company fairly well, mostly because I was only part-time. The pay was good. They pay you an extra 2.50 on weekends, and by the time I left (almost 5 years there) I was making more than most other people I knew with part-time jobs. They give you IPS at the end of the year as long as you work 1,000 hours for the year, whether or not you are full/part time.

By the time I left, I felt I was highly respected. I had worked there long enough that I knew more than most other people who worked there. However, respect from "guests" is another topic in itself. It gets annoying when people who know nothing about repair/remodeling expect you to have the knowledge of a professional who does it for a living. Being a girl also gets you lest respect from customers when you work at a home repair store.

Benefits for me was just the IPS. Otherwise I know nothing about health insurance or vacation.

I thought I had a secure job. Turnover is fairly high there, and I never felt like I could lose my job.

Work/Life Balance was fine, I was part time so I wasn't there all the time, I pretty much picked my hours. The only complaint I have is the day BEFORE and AFTER Thanksgiving. If you are scheduled to close the day before, they expect YOU to stay and put out all the tags and STRAIGHTEN THE ENTIRE STORE. And if your department gets done, you can't go home, you have to help everyone else. They basically force you to work the day after, but I guess it's expected for retail employment.

Career Potential was okay. I never attempted to move up, but I did start as cashier and moved to a department. If I wanted to I probably could have been an assistant manager or something.

Location was good, I used to live right up the street from it.

Co-workers were good for the most part. There were several people who were complete idiots or never did any work, but most were cool. The people I worked with were one of the only reasons I didn't want to quit.

Work environment. Ehhh, I can't really complain about Menards, it's just the customers who make it uncomfortable. Some people have absolutely no respect for retail employees, and I could bitch forever about all the horrible people I have had to help, but it wouldn't do me any good.

The only big complaint I have (other than guests) is some of the things the "upper management" (i.e. General Office) dictates. Sales goals sheets were pointless. WE DON'T MAKE COMISSION! I am pretty sure everyone just made up numbers. GO would make random calls to make sure you were filling them out. Pushing the Big Card at the cash registers was annoying too, plus some other things.

I honestly feel that Menards is a good company to work for (PART TIME). I know some managers who are burnt out on the company, and work 50 hours a week. It might have also helped that I worked at a store that had good managers and cool people to work with because that can make all the difference.

From kenosha, wi — 10/06/2009

kenosha, wi the 3127 is the best place to work, i have such a chill work place and all of us team member are close and even hang out outside of work. We all are very productive and if you are competent actually in your field its very easy to move up. i love working here during school just because i can feel that i am appreciated. :)

From appleton, WI — 04/06/2009

Im a carry out Its a lot of work and im paid pretty low. I guess i make more then a walmart employee. John Menard could be less greedy he has 8 billion dollars is the richest man in wisconsin.

From Anderson, IN — 03/24/2009

For someone with little to no higher education, Menards offers for a great career with good income potential... at least at this store in Anderson. For the most part management is respectful, and the only reason that anyone would need to worry about job security is if they aren't doing their job like they should be. I worked at that store for over 5 years very closely with upper management and they never laid anyone off or fired someone who didn't absolutely deserve it, ever. The work /life balance of any retail worker isn't ideal because of the typical "retail hours", especially for management, but the pay, at least in my opinion offers for a pretty good counter to that. All of Menards' stores offer fantastic growth potential to anyone who works hard, especially for those who are willing to move for the company. The insurance benefits are adequate for most situations, and their profit sharing program is just GREAT. The longer you're there and the more you work, the more you're rewarded with a larger bonus when your store makes their profit goal and almost all of Menards' stores do make their goals just fine.

All in all, I think that Menards offers for a great place to work, especially when compared to other retail chains that don't offer the income or growth potential that Menards does. Where else can a person with a high school diploma work hard, get promoted, and make over 6 figures in a matter of 5-6 years?? Pretty much nowhere.

From Lima, OH — 01/03/2009

pay isnt too bad but im only a part time worker and i attend college also. the starting pay is alright but the raise of 10 cents isnt too great or really justified either. you would be the worst worker but as long as you know he answers to a couple of easy questions you still get the raise.

for the most part a get a lot of respect from the rest of my coworkers and from basically all the managers in the store. for al the rest of you who dont like the way youre treated, your obviously doing something wrong.

benefits arent too bad but the 10% off discount doesnt really add up to much. instant profit sharing is a nice little bonus check every year too. there is a whole list of benefits that you receive as a team member but i think you have to get them off mymenards possibly... one for instance in my area is 1% under invoice on any brand new gm vehicle

job security is a weak point. if you are not making sales you basically cant work.. i thinks its dumb the way the store calculates payroll. there are times when i only get to work maybe 5 to 10 hrs per week because of this

work/life balance isnt really all that bad, managers work with me and my college class schedule and usually fit me in where they can and where i can still get the 25 to 30 hours a week that i wish to work. between college and work it can sometimes be a struggle but there is plenty of time to do whatever you want

there are almost endless possiblities as far as advancing your career with menards. dont get me wrong, it would be my first choice for a career but if retail or other similar work is your thing, menards has counless opportunities if you are willing to put a little effort into it. nothing comes easy

aside from the occasional co worker who seems to just stand around or not know anything about the products in their department, i found tat here in lima most everybody knows a great deal about their products, even the part time members. one of the cool things is that i believe our GMs had agreed to give 300 in cash to the department that had completed the most in-home training courses by the end of the year. i know that my coworkers have other plans than working at menards for the rest of their lives, but that doesnt stop them from doing an excellent job when they work

work environment is mostly boring but most of the time there are things to do to stay busy. aside from the annoying jingles in the PA, its not really too bad

for all of you who seem to think menards sucks, it doesnt. i agree that its not the best place in the world to work, but i dont have a problem with it. you will find problems no matter where you work but here in lima everyone seems to get along well and maintain and excellent atmosphere

From Michigan — 12/30/2008

Interesting to read the comments, most of those ranting here with negative attitudes are working in the wrong business. The #1 goal of retail is to make money. If you are not interested in making money or it's too hard for you, than you are in the wrong business. You aren't a bad person, you are just doing the wrong type of work.

I've worked for Menards for 4 years. Started part time, and was promoted to Department Manager in the same store within 1.5 years. If you are willing to move around the mid-west, promotions can occur much more quickly and you can go as far as you want assuming you understand the number 1 rule of retail. I make good money for the work that I do, I am respected by my peers and my team members and my store managers and I am satisfied that my work environment is far better than it would be elsewhere. I have bad days just like everyone else but I don't allow them to take over my life. Advancement is not necessarily related to butt-kissing HOWEVER, the phrase be nice to your friends, be nicER to your enemies applies. If you can't play politics in retail, you'll be eaten alive when you land that 9-5 desk job you so badly want. Show the people who matter that you know how to do your job and you enjoy the job you do. I know of NO company that is interested in promoting people who are unable to do the work and who hate the job they have. If you want to rise to the top in ANY business, you have to play the game and you have to accept that it's not always all about you.

My biggest complaint are the benefits. They are expensive and cover very little. If you are single, they work, if you have a family, forget it. That said, Menards benefits are no more expensive or less expensive than any other retailer of their size out there. They all suck, just like every other company in America. My only other complaints are the customers who somehow think "do it yourself" means "do it for me". I'll sell you everything you need to do your project but you (the customer) are responsible for actually doing it. It sucks that there are so many ignorant people who simply refuse to follow (or read) directions.

Work/Life balance can be difficult but again, it's retail. You have to decide if you would rather have an income or a social life. It is possible to have both, it's just more erratic in retail. I've got plenty of friends and have plenty of time for my family and to enjoy the activities that I want to enjoy. I average 40 to 55 hours a week depending on the season and I'm compensated for my time. I have 2 days off a week which translates to 2 weekends off per month (the other days are during the week). As a rule in retail, hours available to work are based almost entirely on sales which again is not at all a-typical when you work for a company that SELLS products. If you want a certain number of hours per week than you need to work for a company that derives it's income from something other than sales! That's just how it is. How could you possibly expect a sales driven company to pay you if there is no money being made? If money grew on trees, none of us would have to work now would we?

Menards prides itself on product knowledge and customer service. I spend insane amounts of time with each of my team members helping them to learn and understand the products they are selling. It is not always about the amount of money the customer spends today, it's more about getting them what they need to do this project so they will walk back in those doors again to get the stuff they need to do the next one. Relationship building is important in retail if you expect to survive, it's important in ANY sales job. It is not part of my job description to piss off customers, it IS part of my job to make sure they come back! If you have a desire to sell, learning about the products you are selling is a no-brainier. How can you sell something you know nothing about? If you don't care about what you are selling, find another job. 99% of anything you need to know about a product is written right on the products you sell. If you can't read, rather than working, go back to school and learn how.

Location is great, just down the road

I've read all the complaints about Depot and Lowes (our competition) and they all echo each other. Those of you doing so much hollering are in the wrong line of work. Your complaints are likely legitimate complaints but they reflect poorly on your own ability to do something about them. If you hate your job - QUIT. If you NEED the job (becuase there aren't any other jobs around) think really hard about why you need to keep your job and act to make your job tolerable until you can find something else. If you are poorly treated, look at yourself first to make sure you aren't the reason why and if you aren't, make change happen. Play the game...your boss won't listen? talk to HIS boss and so forth. ALL of these companies are Fortune 500 companies and ALL of them have enforceable policies related to compensation, treatment of employees, anti-discrimination etc. but if you refuse to let the right people know about your problems, they are not going to solve them for you. Life is only as good as you make it. If you can't tolerate working for other people, start your own business becuase that is the ONLY way you will completely control your own destiny.

From Plover, WI — 11/12/2008

Just like any other retail job, working for Menards has it's pros and cons. I worked part-time for the electrical dept. of a P5 store for 3+ years. It was interesting that they let someone without a college degree hold the position of a general manager and oversee the whole store. Communication was horrible, and if there was any communication at all it was gossip. Upper management and the Building Materials dept/Contrator Reps. formed something more like a cult than anything else. Turnover was steady because they reduced the amount of full-time workers to bring more part-timers on board (obivously, a cheaper option for the company). Pay is HARDLY acceptable for someone who has put in many years with the company. I worked with an older individual who had been there since the opening of the store, and she was only making around $11/hr. Because of health issues, she dropped down to part-time, in which case they slashed her hourly pay because she was no longer full-time status. In my opinion, that was ludacris, simply because they make you take TESTS to get a pittly little 10cent raise every six months - so she had EARNED that extra pay per hour about part-time average. They don't base raises on performance or dedication to the company either. And if you get bumped up to Assitant Dept. Manager you can only expect a couple of quarters more per hour. The only people that are truly happy with their pay are the highschool and college students (who know that $8+ dollars an hour for part-time work isn't too shabby) or Upper Management and Contractors - the gap between their salaries and the hourly employees is disgusting. They reduced their health insurance plan to the absolute minimum while I was still working there, so I'm assuming most employees probably searched for other options. As far as hours go, they are slave-drivers most of the time. My original boss would work up to 14+ hours 2+ days a week sometimes. I felt for him. After they installed a Big Brother Eye (a "security camera") near our dept. we had to limit any time spent at the desk - even if it was spent using the computer or assisting a "guest." They liked to claim that the cameras are there for busting shoplifters, but it is obvious that the intended use is for Oh-So-Much-More. They actually pay people to sit and do video audits on their employees. Now, I'm not saying that there isn't the occassional crappy, lazy employee that deserves to get canned because of their lack of work ethic, but consistenly monitoring someone and trying to bust them because it "looked" like they walked past a guest without saying "hi" (for your info, there is no sound being monitored by these cameras) sounds a little bit like bullying to me. If they want you out they will continually do this and try to make a "paper trail" of your mistakes. They did it to my first manager, and I witnessed them doing it to other former employees as well. The only good thing about working for Menards is if you are in a dept. with a good group of people. The only reason I enjoyed my job is because I had fun and joked around a lot with my co-workers. It is no suprise that stocking light-bulbs and cutting electrical wire isn't the most intellectually stimulating experience, so you have to take the job duties and make them your own. If you don't the place will drive you insane....