Work at MEDITECH — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about MEDITECH pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at MEDITECH

From Framingham, Massachs — 03/14/2008

I've been at MEDITECH for a while now and although I've known about this Web site for some time, I didn't want to write a review until I felt like I could fairly rate the company. It's been a couple years, so there's no better time than now.

*Pay*
I hope this doesn't sound like an echo, but the pay at MEDITECH is horrible. Most people (usually recent college grads) start at about 32-38K per year. At first, that may sound like a good salary coming out of school. That is, of course, until you realize MEDITECH is centralized within the 128 belt in Massachusetts, which is one of the most expensive areas in New England to call home.

When you realize you can't afford to live close to work on right around 2K per month (after taxes), you decide to get roommate(s) and commute to work. That said, gas is about $3 a gallon right now. Assuming you live close enough that you only have to fill up once per week, that's probably close to $50 per week in gas. $50 X 4 weeks = $200. What you might have saved in rent you have now spent in gas. So basically, your living situation in order to work at MEDITECH will be expensive either way.

While where you live isn't MEDITECH's fault, they certainly don't try to be understanding and alleviate the situation at all. In fact, their "canned text" response to pay complaints is "you chose to work here!" Yes, I did choose to work at MEDITECH, and shame on me for believing you when you threw out phrases like "great career growth opportunities!" and "we promote from within!" and "hard work pays off at Meditech!"

Hard work pays off? Hmmmm....Is that why you've predetermined the best raise I can get is $3,600 for the year, or, in extremely rare cases, $4,800? What if I work harder than someone who got a $3,600 or $4,800 raise?

If you're thinking about working at MEDITECH for the pay, you're barking up the wrong tree. Keep looking in the Boston area, you'll easily find several opportunities with companies who hire even recent grads for 50K a year. MEDITECH likes to act like those companies don't exist.

The only reason I didn't rate MEDITECH a -5 for pay is at least I'm not scooping fries or flipping burgers to barely keep a roof over my head.

*Respect*
If you're under 30, there's none. You're still just a kid who will be treated accordingly by all the people who think they're something more than just a number to MEDITECH.

Also, there's no HR, so supervisors can and will treat you like crap if they feel like it. The only way their manager will do something about it is if they do something that can potentially bring a lawsuit to the company. MEDITECH executives often say, "If you have a problem, escalate the issue until it is resolved." What they mean by that is, "If no one wants to do something to resolve the problem, keep trying until you finally realize we don't give a crap. Then you'll give up and by doing so the issue is thus resolved."

*Benefits*
Actually, the benefits are great. You hardly pay for health or dental at all and you're fully covered. There's no 401K, though, which sucks.

*Job Security*
They're pretty good with this. If you mess up, you "get spoken to". It takes a lot of screw ups to get fired.

*Work-Life Balance*
It's basically a 9-5 job. If you can't cut that, you're in the wrong country.

*Career Potential/Growth*
I gave MEDITECH a 5 here. Not because you can actually grow your career and salary in any respectable manner at MEDITECH, but because your experience at MEDITECH can net you a GREAT paying career somewhere else. Whether you're in sales, implementation, client services or even programming, there are agencies out there itching to hire you and your knowledge of the software. It's not unusual to hear of someone doubling or tripling their salary upon leaving the company. Just Google "Meditech experience" and salivate at what's out there.

*Location*
Most buildings are off of 128. Good for work, lousy for living. At least Boston is nearby if you want to go out on the town after work.

*Co-worker Competence*
Most people seem to be pretty bright. Very few idiots, very few geniuses; just a lot of average folks looking to pay the bills.

*Work Environment*
It's pretty bad. Loud people are heard and dealt with day after day because there are no walls. Thats right; you work in a "workstation", which is also known as a low-wall cubicle (as in waist-high walls). Also, most people are miserable because their lifelong dreams have led them to a low-paying job in a high-paying section of the country.

From Westwood — 03/06/2008

Wow.. I read most of the negative reviews and I am not sure that they work for the same company that I work for. I got a real kick out of the individual that had served in the military, but now wanted to receive a paycheck from MEDITECH but apparently did not want to work for it.

As for the annual raises, it is very possible to receive significantly more than the $3600 many have noted at their 1 year annual review.

I am one of the long term employees, I feel that MEDITECH has offered me countless opportunities that has kept me challenged and allowed me to constantly grow. In life (real life) we are not handed things, we have to earn them. If you are a person that "expects things handed to you" I am not sure that there is any company for you.

For those employees who have posted such negative vents, if you still work at MEDITECH, there must be something pretty good at MEDITECH that has kept you there.. so I guess things aren't as bad as you said.

From WESTWOOD — 02/13/2008

I have worked at MT for 10+ years and take issue with many of the other comments that have been posted. True, the starting pay at MT is lower than competitors. However, the benefits, job security, work environment and work/life balance more than make up for that difference. The raises and annual bonus are incredible. My first raise given to me at my one year review was 13%! What other companies give raises that large? The largest raise my spouses company gives is 5%!

I laughed out loud when I read the comment from the person who complained about the interview process and needing to travel to Framingham to meet with the Recruiting team. I hope that person reviews what they wrote and sees that maybe there are reasons why they are searching for a job at this stage of their life rather than already being immersed in a career.

In all companies, people can find things to complain about. In my experience, MT is a great company. Just as in life, you get out of work what you put into it.

From Westwood,MA — 11/22/2007

Fortunately/unfortunately, MEDITECH is stand out in the industry - this is good for those that understand we all go to work TO WORK and take advantage of the opportunities to succeed here and be challenged daily and advance career wise. The downside, to keep up with growth and demand, MEDITECH is continually hiring and many are recent grads that still have not developed strong worth ethics and think there first job is an extension of college. Reality is - first few years at MEDITECH, salaries are on the low to average side. Prove yourself, and you are duly rewarded, 10-12% increases annually is not unusual. Bonus, profit sharing all round off the package, ultimately, overall compensation being quite competitive. The buildings themselves, atmosphere, locations, career potential are excellent. It is busy, so don't come here if you won't want to work. Don't come here if you don't want to develop confidence, presentation skills, customer service and technical expertise. If really all you want is to get paid and surf the net, this isn't the place for you. Sure, you can do that, but MEDITECH needs people that are self-motivated and understand how to take advantage of the opportunities available to them.

From Boston, MA — 11/21/2007

Above all else the downside to working for Meditech is the pay and lack of growth opportunities. Really the only chances to move up come after 4-5 years at the company, and that's usually into a supervisor's role. It's not all that much of a jump up, considering you're really only managing between 4 and 8 people. Beyond that you've got to be with the company usually between 10-15 years before you'd ever be considered for a managers role. And that's only if by chance some other manage in your department has decided to retire or leave the company.

Add to that a really depressing work atmosphere and overall you'll have a very bleak outlook very quickly after starting at this company. It's actually kind of spooky when you first interview at the company. You see rows of people in their cubicles (with low cubicle walls) and no one talking. It's as if everyone's so downtrodden with their work that they don't even care to try to enjoy themselves by talking with each other. There's not even really any push to get employees to interract and have fun while at work. It's an old-school company, and one that I'd like to get out of as soon as possible. The turnover amongst new hires, especially right out of college, is incredibly high. I'd say within about 3 months, half of all college new hires have left. That's really all you need to know.

From Boston — 10/24/2007

WOW. I read through the reviews and am struck at how nothing has changed at Meditech. I worked for Meditech from '93 to '97. There was a company reorganization just prior to my start date and several people were made supervisors and managers. Out of curiosity I've looked these names up in the employee directory on meditech.com to find that if the individual is still working there, there title is the same as back in '93. I have to say that when I've returned to Meditech for training in the last couple of years, the company seems much more relaxed than the days of Roberta G's rule. I am grateful for my Meditech knowledge, it has served me well in securing better positions with better pay.

From Cheapville, MA — 09/26/2007

Loved MEDITECH. Loved the people, experience and industry. Would have stayed for a career but just couldn't afford to. Was still traveling full time for them after five years with a ton of implementation experience and only made $40,000. Liked working with the software and customers and didn't want to go their management track which was really the only route to a few more dollars. Doubled my salary with my first move out of there, based only on my experience with their software.

How long are you "entry" level?

MEDITECH needs to look at what others in their industry pay for the level of experience with their software and be willing to pay their own people for their expertise and loyalty. It would not only help them to retain staff longer, but they would reap the benefits of long term employment including improving the quality of their implementations, customer support, system development and quality control testing. To everyone outside it seems like a no-brainer. Why don't they see it?

From New York, New York — 08/16/2007

gdgds gsddsgds gsg sdgsdg

gsdfgsdfgsdfgds
gds
gdsgSa
Ad sd dsfs s

From WESTWOOD — 06/09/2007

Thanks everyone for providing me some entertainment the last few hours. Seems to be a pretty even distribution of positive and negative comments. All I can say is that I have been with the company over 15 years. Still relatively young (39) and see and expect more growth within the company. The only thing I really have to complain about is these kids being hired seem to be getting worse and worse as far as work ethic. All these kids expect to be making big dollars right out of the chute. It's impossible. Look around and don't believe your friends cause they are probably lying. Ha. Anyways, I love the company and would do anything for it. The pay, bonuses, stock div's and bene's have allowed me to raise a family with my wife being at home. No, I am not going to strike it rich, but neither are the other 97 percent. I choose to stay put and live comfortably and be happy at my job and life in general. For all you kids out there just graduating college and living at mommy and daddy's house..try working for something for a change and grow up. Love a MT lifer.

From Westwood, MA — 05/08/2007

Dear MEDITECH: While I realize that I have, in fact, doubled my salary in my 5-year tenure with you, I find that I still make below the average starting salary for my position. In fact, up until this year's bonus, I had yet to make more than I paid for my college education. I feel frustrated, as all of my friends far out-earn me and have since purchased homes, while the only way I can continue to work for you and keep a reasonable commute is to live with my parents. Why is this? I'm sorry MEDITECH, I didn't mean to be harsh; please forgive me. I know you always provide for me, allowing me to walk around on your beautiful surrounds and to purchase food in your cafeterias. And, I can rub in my friends' faces the fact that I am entitled to purchase company stock. All they get are silly options and 401k plans! Oh, just wait until those dry up and boy will they be sorry. Most of all, I look at your recent Boston Globe job advertisement for programmers and think: Wow, remember back when I used to know their recommended C and C++ skills? Understanding how to program like the rest of the millions of programmers in the world seems like a distant memory at this point. I'm so glad I've forsaken the use of an IDE and any of even the most basic toolsets that I used in college; boy how I've grown! The outside world is so barbaric, what with its talk of threads and memory management and algorithms, Oh My! MEDITECH, if it's all just the same to you, I think I'll just hide out with you for a while. I don't need for my skills to translate to anywhere else. And besides, with all of the remarkably consistent, positive posts here - along with one recent post's reassurance that all's well with MEDITECH - I feel safe for the long run. I feel so comfy, I might just curl up right here for the rest of my career. I know someone out there has a plan for the company's future, and one day I might just care who that is. Or hear something about it. Nighty-night, MEDITECH. I'll be there at 9 am sharp, 'cause I know you're watching!