Working at MEDITECH — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about MEDITECH pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at MEDITECH

From Westwood, MA — 02/27/2010

Extremely good organization with amazing technology. The CEO works with everybody else--doesn't even have his own office. The office is beautiful. Only promotes from within. They have a strong employee stock program. Meditech is oriented toward the long-term employee. If you stick with Meditech, you will do very well. You have to start at the bottom and work your way up.

From Westwood, MA — 06/22/2009

Meditech is a decent place to work. Everybody is hired at an entry level, and they promote from within. They never hire managers or executives from the outside. What's really impressive about Meditech is the job security. Even in this difficult economy, Meditech has not made any layoffs. You have to earn your stripes at Meditech, but that's how it should be. Benefits are very good, especially the stock plan. The pay is okay, and the co-workers are truly impressive.

From MA — 03/24/2009

I'm sorry to see all the negative reviews for Meditech, and NO I am not in management. I find it amusing that reviewers cite co-worker incompetence as if this is unique to Meditech? I think we have all worked at jobs in which there were people who unfortunately did not have a good work ethic or lacked the skill set to do the job well. True that starting pay is low, but I have gotten good raises each year and the end of year bonus is pretty good. Especially in this economy in which companies are having sweeping layoffs or outsourcing, it's nice to know that my job is pretty secure at Meditech. I have been very lucky in that I am able to work a part-time schedule which helps in maintaining the work/family balance. I am in a really great group and receive great feedback from management. What other jobs have you had in which you are guaranteed a raise each year, or are even EVALUATED on a yearly/quarterly/both basis, and also get a bonus at the end of the year? Friends and family members of mine lament that they have not gotten any raise in years, don't even meet with management for evaluations, and don't have the work schedule flexibility to be able to do their job well and have a good family life at home.

From Westwood, MA — 10/06/2008

I can't say that all of the complaints here are all unfounded, as I can only speak from my own experiences. I used to be a teacher and thus worked most waking hours. In the summers, I worked too. My pay was worst than Meditech's and the two days I got off per year could not be taken on a Friday or Monday. Raises were standard and not based on how you compared to others (and there were some pretty amazing teachers, so I was not at the top).

Since coming to Meditech, I've been amazed at how easy it is to prove myself and how my dedication is rewarded. I've gotten the best raise all 4 years and am slowly getting moved into more technical positions despite my complete lack of pre-Meditech experience. This job is definitely not for everyone, but if you're the type that is capable of rising above the crowd, I believe it will be recognized and rewarded well. Perhaps I have a great boss (and I think that I do), but I'm guessing that most of the complaints are exaggerated. If you are one of those that feel unbearably frustrated by Meditech, then take your hat off for the next teacher you meet. Their job is harder than you can ever imagine...

From Westwood, MA — 09/01/2008

During almost 10 years at Meditech, I held three different positions in both the Service and the Development divisions. At various times I commuted to the Norwood, Lowderbrook and Framingham buildings.

I left Meditech for a bigger salary. I wanted my wife to have the option not to work should we decide to have kids.

PAY
The company favors long term employees and the starting pay is mediocre. If you work at the company 15-20 years you'll do alright for yourself particularly if you invest in company stock. At the time I left, I was making a comfortable but not fantastic salary.

RESPECT
The respect your receive depends on your management team. It's true to say that Meditech most appreciates people who keep their heads down, do their job, and tow the company line.

BENEFITS
The benefits are fine but not fantastic. You'll start with 2 weeks vacation and get 3 after 2 years. Major holidays are observed. You always have 2 weeks sick time per year which accrues indefinitely but is not paid out when you leave. The health care is an HMO but it's decent and relatively inexpensive.

Meditech has a profit sharing plan in which they set aside tax sheltered money for you. It's not great but it's nice to know there's a little something since the company doesn't offer a 401K.

Meditechers live and die by the much vaunted bonus. After you've been there a few years it adds up to a nice chunk of change. It's Meditech's way of rewarding long-time employees. A 10 year employee might get, for example, a $13,000 bonus. If you've been there 6 months, its more like $300.

JOB SECURITY
Meditech has never had any layoffs. The company itself is privately owned and stable. It does what it does well and it's hard to imagine that after existing for almost 40 years, it will disappear any time soon.

Unless you *really* screw up or are a complete moron, you will not be fired. "Problem" employees are often just passed off to another group to deal with.

WORK/LIFE BALANCE
I was never encouraged to work more than 40 hours a week. In the Service, I was actually told to stop working at 5:30pm and hand off any issues to the second shift. In Service management is pretty bullish on staff working 9:00am to 5:30pm. If you're a single parent who needs flexibility to deal with the occasional crisis, you might run into some resistance. In the Development I was expected to work an 8.5 hour day but I was given much more flexibility about when I came in and left.

You might end up in a group that's very social and your co-workers spend time with each other outside of work. In general, people are friendly and easy to get a long with. Most jobs are fairly low stress so I think that helps foster amicability. I made some great friends at Meditech.

CAREER POTENTIAL/GROWTH
Ambitious people will find Meditech's policy of promoting only from within to be a problem. In Service, if you're smart and hardworking it's not too difficult to become a supervisor in a few years. Any position higher than supervisor is much tougher to attain. Managers, directors, and VPs RARELY leave the company. The effect is that you'll work with a lot of "Senior Applications Specialists" and "Senior Programmers" who have been doing the same job for years. They don't have quite enough motivation to become a supervisor and they're not interested in finding another job. Some are hard working, others have given up the fight and are making an appearance just to get a paycheck and chat with their friends. They've been there so long and have so many connections no one is going to sack them.

As for leaving the company, once you've worked there a few years your skills will be in high demand. Hospitals and consulting companies are always looking for qualified Meditech analysts. This is especially true if you're willing to move out of New England where there will be less competition for jobs. It's not a stretch to say that with three years of Meditech experience you can go somewhere else and make double your 'tech salary + bonus.

Special note for programmers -- Meditech technology is proprietary. Don't listen to the HR spin; VERY few employees use anything but Meditech languages. If, however you decide to work for Meditech, you may see some benefits later when it comes to getting another industry job. Few people know the NPR language outside of Meditech.

LOCATION
A few years ago I would have said that the Meditech locations along I95 and I90 were great -- easy access, quite a bit of parking, safe. But with gas prices high and not falling it would now be REALLY nice to have the option to work in the city and take public transportation. I wouldn't expect that to happen though. Meditech is a white bread, suburban company staffed by suburbanites who love their 'burbs.

CO-WORKER COMPETENCE
Like all companies there are both good and bad.

WORK ENVIRONMENT
Offices, elevators, bathrooms, and kitchens are usually in the center of the floors leaving the grunt cubes on the outside perimeter by the windows. The cube walls are low so it's all very open and everyone should be able to easily see outside. You'll also be able see your co-workers all day. If you're sitting in an area with lots of customer service people, it can get a bit noisy. However, it's not like a call center where staff members are taking calls one right after another.

A number of the buildings have very pretty grounds. Parts of the Canton property are downright bucolic.

The quality of the cafeteria food depends on what building you're working at. Complaining about the cafeteria food (but still buying it every day) is a favorite past-time for employees. Unfortunately, for most locations, if you don't want cafeteria food and don't want to bring your lunch, you'll have to drive a bit for a poor selection of chain restaurants and take-out. Framingham is the exception; there are lots of businesses close by.

From Framingham,MA — 08/25/2008

Pay: Been at MT since 2004, started at just over 30k base. I am now at 48k base, with profit sharing + bonus + stock, it's a total compensation package of around 60k. A lot of people in my bracket (MT is my first job out of college) seem inclined to not mention that total compensation point and that it's stressed initially that total compensation is geared towards employees who stay and contribute longer.

Respect: Definitely is based on whom you work for. Some groups are micro managed and far too hands on. Mine is hands off, independent work where you are given enough rope to show your skills or hang yourself.

Benefits: Pretty solid. Being single, I insure myself with HPHC for health and BCBS for dental for a total of $45/month. All major holidays off, as well as minor ones, like Columbus Day, MLK Day etc. Sick time, three weeks vaca at 2 yrs.

Job Security: Gotta do a lot to get canned. I am pretty sure the company has never had a lay off, which is a nice feeling to have.

Work/Life Balance: Very good. Never hassled for a taking a day off, or needing to work in another building for a day if need be. Never worked more than 40 or so hours a week. Usually take a 45 minute lunch, flexible schedule if need be. Am able to leave MT at the door when I leave and NOT worry about it until I return the next AM.

Potential/Growth: If you are in implementation, the turnover is high so it's a war of attrition to get to management. Whomever is left is usually promoted. Seems to me that hard work can get you places and get you noticed at the company. I am not in management as of yet, though it has been recently offered.

Location: All buildings are tucked within the 128 corridor which can make commuting lousy even on shorter commutes. The new Southcoast building is easily accessible from 24, 495 and 195 and is essentially traffic free. Howard Messing recently instituted a new policy giving employees with 3+ yrs service the choice to move to a building closer to their homes, even if their group is not there. Will be a nice draw for folks who have been commuting long times with these gas prices.

Co Workers: Ehhhh same as it is anywhere I'm sure. Plenty of lazy bums, but a good amount of people working hard.

Environment: Very open, which unless you are hiding something, isn't a big deal.

Overall, I enjoy MT. Will I be here forever? Probably not. But I find it comical that MT is so heavily bashed on here. I tend to think that most of it is from people with unrealistic expectations coming from college. MT is not perfect, but no job is I assume. MT does clearly state on day one that the company is geared towards longer term employees who work through the lean times, word hard, and put their name out there. Patience is a virtue at MT. For me, it's been easy, do some hard work, get rewarded and see where things go. It's also nice that in these lousy times, I know that my paycheck is safe getting to me every month. Anyone reading MT reviews would be wise to read the news by longer termed employees and not just the shorter ones that only extol the virtues of things that MT clearly lays out to them on day one, that these individuals feel they were wronged by.

From Massachusetts — 07/29/2008

If you are ambitious and a risk taker with a much larger vision for yourself than what MEDITECH has to offer, you will take your MEDITECH experience move on and be paid much more. You have skills that the marketplace pays a much higher price for outside of MEDITECH. It's an incredible stepping stone to career advancement. Go onto LINKED IN and search on MEDITECH for pages and pages of former employees with MEDITECH on their resumes that have all gone on to do great things at interesting places, some of which have nothing to do with MEDITECH, healthcare, or IT. Plenty of success stories.

If you are more comfortable playing it safe you will stay and earn an average/decent salary with little to no pressure. For those who think you have any pressure there you really have no idea. You're being paid adequately for the amount of actual expectations and pressure you're experiencing. You'll have a great retirement. Buy the stock!

In my opinion, the problem occurs when you think you are a risk taker when really you're not. So, you jump after a couple of years to another job that in end will tap out at about $100,000 (if you're lucky) like a programmer or analyst job at a hospital, and then you sit there for the rest of your career. Then you've made a bad call because had you stayed at MEDITECH you would be much better off financially with stock options, a growing bonus, complete job security, the ability to easily transfer to other areas and departments, the option for part time, and a great retirement that you don't even need to contribute to. You might jump for the quick 10,000 to 20,000 through the door and I'm sure there are some that need that, but if you can hang in there you are much better off staying if you are a play it safe kind of person.

I think it's fair to say that the staff that stay at MEDITECH are afraid to take personal career risks for a whole host of different and often legitimate reasons. I don't mean this in a demeaning or insulting way, but that's really the truth considering the opportunities that are out there in healthcare IT and what is known about a career at MEDITECH. Are there a few shooting stars there who are playing it right using their rule book, sure, but the majority aren't headed up the career success ladder.

Staying at MEDITECH is what is right for them, and they have very nice happy comfortable lives. This might be the right fit for you too so don't feel bad about it and give them a chance. It's a win either way, but from what I've seen, if you're going to play it safe, play it safe at MEDITECH and if you're a risk taker with a strong personal work ethic then dance out of the place as soon as you have the skills you need, thank them for the experience and don't burn any bridges on your way out. Chances are you didn't come to them with any experience and they took a chance on you in the first place. It's too bad so many are so angry about it.

From Canton, Ma — 07/27/2008

OK, so the pay is not great to start...I agree. I have worked there over 10 years and it is starting to pay off...90% of healthcare is paid for..that is pretty good, year end bonus, and the profit sharing plan is ok. I do wish they would set up an IRA thru the company, but that can be done on your own. If you can buy some stock, I think that is also a good benefit, as I think it is under valued. Just a few points on some of the posts...You have to say Job Security is a 5, you have to say the Work Environment is at least a 4, and the Benefits are at least a 4...even if you do not like the pay...so to get a -45 is impossible.

If you stay for a bit, you can be promoted and earn 100k a year..you will never get rich, but in tough times like we are in now, you can count on that check clearing at the end of the month. I enjoy MEDITECH and truly feel it is what you put into it...if you do the minimum, than you will be be treated like an underachiever...Stick it out, you will be rewarded.

Most of these posts are by kids who have never worked anywhere...every job has pros and cons. Learn that or you will never be happy with any job.

From Framingham, MA — 05/18/2008

Just as a note, all of my responses above are based on my personal experience with the company (I have been there 2 years now)

The pay is what it is. I mean, you do know it up-front before they have you sign the employment letter you receive in the mail. I am a few years out of school, single, no kids- make in the mid 40's- I know I could be making more at other places, but I choose to stay. I rent an apartment from a friend of mine. I am not able to put away as much money as I used to, but I'm not living beyond my means either.

I found that in my short time I have been very highly respected by my co-workers and sometimes by upper management for doing a great job. They know if you go above and beyond in certain situations.

Benefits are top notch. Medical and dental is great. I pay less than $40/month for Blue Cross medical and dental. The retirement is strictly based on the company's performance, so I would suggest setting up other things in addition just to secure yourself.

Job security- great for two reasons
1- Unless you do something that is extremely over the top, you will have a job.
2- Healthcare is recession proof. Even in these tough times, the company is hiring.

Work/Life Balance- this is something that is always tricky in every company. I, for one, have never had a problem requesting time off and such. However, there has to be some sort of a limit on it, I guess.
I have heard some horror stories, though.

Career Growth- anyone will agree, whether you stay at Meditech or go work for a consulting firm, hospital, etc, the skills you learn here in just a short time of employment can be transferred anywhere. Hospital IT experience is always in demand.

Location- they are great for commuters. Pretty much right off major highways in the Metro West and Southern areas of Boston.

Co-worker competence: Depends what area you work in, I guess. I am in Implementation and we are not any kind of "commission" so we are all very friendly to each other and willing to help each other. I cannot speak for how it is in service, sales, etc.

Work environment- I guess I have just been lucky with my group. I have a great relationship with all of my direct management and know that I can trust with them, whether it's with a work related matter or something more personal.

Bottom Line is- I would venture to say that most of the negative posters here are younger college grads who have had it instilled in their mind by their college that they should be handed everything right out of school. I know this because I was that way when I graduated.

Sure, the pay is higher in other places, but you knew it all up front before signing on.

I have been given great opportunities thus far and plan to stay for a while.

From Canton,MA — 05/13/2008

Compared to others on this site I guess I have been pretty lucky. I am in an excelent group with very competent coworkers. Supervisor and manager are awesome, understanding of family issues and will give time off at the drop of a hat (not many places will do that). If you get your work done and have a good attitude most people will appreciate it. One thing I have picked up is your experience there will be based on your supervisor and manager. Those that are super controlling and extremely demanding and micromanage everything tend to have the unhappy workers under them. While the supervisors who are personable, care, try to actually make sure you understand what you are doing are typically the ones with the happy coworkers.
Pay:
The worst part of the company, no one gets offered the high end of the salary scale when you get hired. Only way to get it is have previous work experience and have been a straight A student. Those people don't work at meditech, typically if you have work experience you go there because you were laid off previously or your looking for a less stressful job. If you have no work experience but had straight A's then it is treated as if you had some work experience. Either way starting pay sucks(everyone agrees).
Respect:
Varies from group to group and what you do there. Development people probably have the most respect in the company. Implementation and support probably the least as that area has the highest turnover.
Benefits:
Health coverage is great 90/10 split and good health plans. Thats pretty much it until you are there for 2 years, then the trust and stock options kick in, whoopie!!
Job Security:
If you do your work and don't do anything illegal they will keep you forever. I have only heard of 1 firing and that was a "volunteered" leaving by a programmer who couldn't code.
Work/Life Balance
Again I think this is controlled by group and supervisor. Most supervisors will be happy if you put in your 40hours, and if its busy your willing to stay alittle to help. Most understand workers have families and if you are open with them then its ok. Easy to change start times, doesn't have to be strictly 9-5:30 can be 8-4:30, as long as you put in 8.5 everyday (.5 hour for lunch in most groups).
I really like my group, 90% of us get along and when we have group events we attend and have a good time. Some groups even have regular nights out or do mini sporting things.
Career Potential/Growth:
It's there if you want it, if someone wants to be a senior programmer, specialist, coordinator etc it can happen. They just need to work for it thats all.
Location:
Getting better as it isn't only on the 128 strip anymore, hopefully they will add another in the future, maybe out west or up north.
Co-worker Competence:
I would say this varies from group to group. The most competenct people are probably in development, as those people tend to be more senior level and not just any avg. joe can get in there.
Work Environment:
The open work environment is a blessing and curse. If you like the people around you its great, easy to ask questions and get help on issues. If there are annoying people who speak super loud on the phone or cell phones then it is really annoying. Thank god for earphones is all I have to say.

Overall I would say that this is a perfect job for someone out of college (22-25 years old). Who still lives at home or has several room mates, is single (or atleast not married). That way when you are there for 5 years and the good benifits kick in you might be making close to 50k a year, and can afford to get married and maybe have a kick. Plus you will be 27-30ish which isn't bad. The older you get the tougher the situation, unless of course your spouse works, then the dual incomes will help eleviate the situation.
Oh yeah, if you have a huge student loan or lots of debt prior to going here, then it might not be the best place. As it will take years to pay off.

Overall an A-/B+ for young new hires still living at home with the parents.
If you can make it to 3 to 5 years you are pretty much golden.
Good Luck, its not all gloom and doom like several of the posts have stated. It's not for everyone, if $$ is what makes you happy then it might not be for you. If job security, low stress and knowing you will only work 40hrs a week is good enough for you, then you will be happy.