Working at McDonald's — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about McDonald's pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at McDonald's

From oshkosh, wi — 08/27/2010

was just a high school job...I had fun there

From Aberdeen, WA — 05/30/2010

I have worked at McDonalds for over 11 years now end I still love it. I am a single mom of 5 and I make plenty of money to pay the rent on my apertmant, I have had a rase and I have never ben fired. There are a few young peple who make lots of drama but it happens in a job. There are also opportunitis for promotion, if I am still working hear in a few years I will trie to move to manager and that will be an other rase. I appreceate McDonalds and everything they have done for me over the years.

From new york — 11/27/2008

I have been working for McD, NYC branch for 2 years now and I'd recommend this company. Compensation is decent although not fantastic, work ambiance is pretty good. Of course that depends on the unit you're in but overall I think its quite good.

From Virginia — 10/16/2008

I started working here at $5.50/h and because of that reason I quit after a few months.
Now that I am at my new jobs, I look back and see that McDonalds was actually I pretty good place to work while being in high school. Before the schedule was made every week I was asked if I need any days off to study for tests. They NEVER had a problem giving me a day off. I was never given the 3rd degree when I called out. "Oh you need the day off, thats fine, just relax and get better."

I was alway leaving on time, and the store was ALWAYS well staffed.

As for the customers, most treat you like crap. Management knows this and I was VERY MUCH respected. And even though I called out a few more times than I should've, I was always told I was one of their best workers.

I didn't enjoy working with the people who worked mornings, they were usally pushy. But the crew I worked with at night was AMAZING. We all had support for one another.

When I quit I did something terrible and came in and said "I want to quit." My managers were shocked, but told me they weren't mad and told me whenever I wanted to come back, I should just give them a call.

That store had better managment skills than any other place I have worked.

From Russellville, AR — 09/05/2008

i worked at McDonalds for about a year. A week after i started i got promoted to Swing Shift manager. What i didnt like was that i was always working weekedns but hey its fast food someone has to be in the store on the weekends. The benifts were great being a manager they were all paid for. All in all it was a pretty good job. Yes some days were more hectic than others and some employees didnt want to work but you run into those everywhere.

From Illinois — 08/04/2008

I have worked for McDonald's for 2 years now and I must say first of all that I am happy I do:
my salary reflects the salary paid in the sector and is also adequate for my studies. The inner politics are clear and understandable and I never had the feeling of not being told something. They offer a great deal of internal education courses, which will help you a lot in your daily work.
I really enjoy working there, even though it is a big company, internal procedures are complex and hard to understand in the beginning. But in my opinion this will only be beneficial to me in a future job.
Promotion: I recently got promoted from assistant to coordinator, which not only reflects my hard working but also that my superiors value my work.
The work environnment might seem chaotic for an outsider (it was for me in the beginning)but overall it is a really familiar environment and kind of cozy.
McDonald's really asks of its employees to show some action and innovation without being intrusive. I had some familiar problems in the first year with them and everyone was respectful and kind, they tried to help without doing to much.

From Fort Wayne, Indiana — 07/29/2008

Our corporate group is great to work for. I usually only work 45-48 hours a week. We all get one weekend off a month. The 401K is the best. With 5% of my pay going in, they put 7% additional. Every 10 years you get a sabbatical. You can take 8-14 weeks off. I have had one and it is great.

The downside is getting promoted. They work with you to get promoted, but the openings do not happen quick enough. There are not many store managers or area supervisors who leave the company.

I highly recommend working for corporate McDonald's, called McOpCo.

From Saint Charles, MO — 01/18/2007

It's been over 10 years since I worked at McDonalds. I worked there from the age of 16-18. Although, the job wasn't all that exciting, I made a great group of friends while working here and the company really supported a team environment. At that time, I made some of my closest friends here. The wages are appropriate for the job being completed and it's a great job for a first-time worker. If you want to make more money, expect to increase your skills and education outside of McDonald's. Thanks for the memories McDonalds!

From Toronto, ON — 08/13/2006

This is my first job, and i loved it. i want to say something to people who said they hate McDonalds because of low pay. if you think you should get pay more to do a basic job like making a burger, why don't you open a store and pay your crew 12 dollar to flip patties. start with minimum wage is not only for mcdonalds, it is true for every job. the only reason why you are getting low pay is because you don't have the education for a better job. my rating for pay is two because i do think it is not high, but it is not because they are cheap, it is because the job i do. if you don't like the pay then quit, don't sit there and complain. if you have what it takes for a higher pay, then go for that job. i like all the crews here. they are very helpful, we do get one or two that are lazy people in a while, but they are only passing by. everyone respect each other in this location, swing never pressure their crew with their authority. they work with them as team members, not managers. there are many benifits in mcdonalds, the question is how much of them can you take advatages of. EOM, Mystryshop money, and promotion in position. i go to college, and i work only three days. it is enough for my tuition fee, food, transportation, and everything else. this is not bad for a "minimum wage" job. i'll say. and it never interferes with my school. i have been working for almost four years now, and i am a swing manager. i started to understand alot more thing why we do thing in certain way. this is not a dead end job. work environment is great, clean air, and good safty control and pratices. i did had many minor burns, little ones. but no one can work in a restaurant without getting burn once in a while. any restaurant. don't be a fool, think about the question. i have seen many people come in to my store and say, "i don't drink mcdonald water.". these are example of stupid people. the whole city have the same water source. it is not "mcdonald" water. i truely hope that when you hear people say something bad about any company, think it through, don't just believe. you have a brain, use it. that's all i am going to say.