Working at Maxim Healthcare Services — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Maxim Healthcare Services pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Maxim Healthcare Services

From seattle washington — 09/09/2010

Opinion: High turnover in internal staff. Unclear, uncertain leadership fearful of another federal investigation. Compliance audits designed to not find anything significant that are camouflaged by too zealous a pursuit of the insignificant findings. Pre-civil rights atmosphere.

From Nebraska — 06/03/2010

I have worked for Maxim as a remote coder for 1 1/2 years. I have had an exceptional experience with Maxim and would recommend anyone to work for this company. The customer service is wonderful, they provide me with the work I desire and the resources to complete my work effectively and efficiently. At times it is hectic, but that is to be expected with remote coding. The managers do their best to make sure I am happy and are always ready to assist me if needed. I am extremely happy with Maxim and plan to continue working for them for a long time.

From South Carolina — 05/26/2010

WOW! Why am I not surprised!! Been with the company 1 1/2 yrs ... Never got a raise except for one time when I threatened to quit, and they took it away as soon as my client passed away! They fired me once, refused t pay UE, lied.. Then rehired me at clients request !! Work n home balance ?? There is NO balance when you have to work between 60-80 hrs a week just to make ends meet !!! They don't pay overtime! No benes at all... No sick days... No holiday pay...no nothing ! The recruiters are just as screwed as the RN's, LPN's, and CNA's !!! They are even too cheap to mail out pay stubs to people that have DD. Ohhhh ! You live 30 miles from the office?? Guess ya better get up really early then to get paperwork in and it BETTER be perfect or you will get called back.. Even if it's your day off, they don't care. First raise was turned down for "budget cuts"... Funny thing is.... The big wigs had their offices all remodeled a few weeks later !! Hehehee... YEAH! Gooo figure!! Seems t be a few too many BMW's n jags I. The parkin lot too!! Jyst a few things to "make ya go HMMMM". Run away from maxim... Don't believe their BS... Tis all lies!! RUN. !!!

From Any Maxim Office — 05/13/2010

I know it has all been said here before, but I felt compelled to offer one more warning to any unsuspecting job hunter that may get mixed up in Maxim. Stay far, far, far away. No amount of money is worth the complete nonsense you have to deal with to be a Maxim Healthcare Recruiter. You will be on call 12-18 days per month, weekends, holidays, on your vacation, you name it, you're still responsible for on call. While you're opening Christmas presents with your family, the on-call phone rings and it's some HHA or RN/LVN calling off of their shift in 45 minutes. You then have to call every person on your roster, qualified or not, and beg them to go out there. It's Christmas, no one is even answering their phone, and you just spent 3 hours of your "holiday" trying to do the impossible. You may be thinking, well once a year isn't that bad. Now insert every holiday, weekend, and weekday. It's always the same. You can expect to get 25-50 calls a weekend when you're on call. While interviewing for the position, they may tell you different, DO NOT believe them. The AM's, RAM's and other Maxim employees are just drinking the Kool Aid.

You will be promised from the first interview that you will be promoted within the first 18-24 months. What they don't tell you is that your office needs to reach certain financial goals, you must successfully and completely train your replacement, and you must be willing to move 1000 miles away with 2 days notice. It's all a bunch of lies spun by Maxim to suck you in.

You will be working 55 hours a week in the office, minimum. You will not be allowed to leave your desk for any reason including lunch or even to take a quick break. If you have a dr's appointment, need to renew your license, do anything in "normal" business hours, you need to take a full or half vacation day.

It's hard to understand just how horrible it is unless you actually work there. Taking advice from a random anonymous review website may be hard. When you interview with the AM at any given office, ask the following questions -

What is the "good old boys club?"
Is the entire company under Federal investigation?
Were AM's really selling narcotics between offices?
Are ex top ranking Maxim employees facing jail time for Medicare fraud?
Is Maxim really not allowed back to hotels in Mexico, Florida, and Las Vegas?
Is there a class action lawsuit against Maxim for classifying recruiters as exempt when they really aren't?
How many recruiters have you promoted?
How many recruiters have you had in the past 3 years? Why did they leave?

Most AM's will be stumbling over the answers to these questions because corporate hasn't given them the "proper responses" to them.

Please heed my advice, save your sanity. Maxim is the worst job you could ever take. It doesn't matter if you're North, South, East or West, all Maxim offices are the same, completely unethical.

From USA — 02/26/2010

Maxim is a tough place to work, but with any tough job, there are a lot of rewards if you work hard, do what's right, and respect your fellow employees. it's been a great career for me, having worked in many different divisions in the past. I've seen bad apples come in and then move on and out of the company, and the ones that truly care about the patients are the ones that stay.

it all depends on the office you're in, but try to ask good questions as you interview and ask other people in the office in order to make a good assessment.

From Southeast — 02/03/2010

I have worked for Maxim for 4 years and have read the 'venting" on this website and ignored it. But I feel compelled to express my opinion. For those of you that don't work for Maxim anymore, why are you wasting your time writting about it. You're probably mad because you didn't have the dedication and competence to keep up with Maxim. Take your thumb out of your mouth and move on. Let me tell you why it can be viewed as "Miserable" to work for Maxim. Internally: You are held to a very high expectation to provide the highest pt care and customer service. Zero tolerance if you decide it is not important to you to comply. Personally , I have sat in hospital beds on unit floors and watched movies with patients, gone and spent a Sundays wrapping and shipping xmas presents to out of state family members, dinner, errands, you name it! By the way, I am a Manager for one of our branch offices. One of the other "issues" is that people choose to get very close with their co workers personally and then can't handle business situations. If you can't, then seperate yourself from work and personal. And if you can, you'll make some life long friends. I read a lot of complaints about the internal hours, well welcome to reality, 40 hour work weeks don't exist when you are responsible for people lives. I can speak on behalf of our nurses, they don't LOVE the pay, but they understand that we provide state-funded nursing to critically ill babies and young adults and we don't have the option to pay more but will provide the support. I have picked a nurse up on several occassions in the middle of the night to drive them to a shift. And this was not because "Maxim" told me to, it was because there was a young child that needed us to pull through. And for all of you nurses complaining, go on with your lives. Our nurses don't blame us but are welcome to vent if they are frustrated. We make it very clear on the initial interview what our rates are, if you don't agree with them DON'T WORK! We are essentially a temp agency and you are not forced and/or obligated to work anything.

From VA — 01/31/2010

Being a recruiter for this company is not an easy job. However, if you work hard, you get out what you put in. If you are a slacker, then you will not succeed with this company. There are several comments about this company that are just rediculous. If you are looking for a decent paying, fast paced and fast promotion job, come check out Maxim. Honestly though, if you want to just sit around and collect a paycheck this job is not for you.

And as for all those nurses out there who had a bad experience, please take a moment and evaluate yourself and your professionalism. Is it possible that you had a bad experience, because you thought you were a better nurse than you actually are? And for those nurses who are still working for Maxim, a word of advice. If you are not happy with something that your home office is doing, approach them about it. Recruiters have about 100 other things they are working on at any one moment, and its likely that you need to sit down and tell them exactly what you want/need. If you still don't get what you are looking for, maybe you need to evaluate whether Maxim is the company you should be working for. There is honestly no need to come to a website like this and post nasty things about your experience.

Lastly, to those people who say we're performing illegal acts. If you truly believe that there are people in your home office who are doing illegal things, call 180079MAXIM and ask for corporate compliance. I am not going to lie and say that every indiviual is perfect, I will say that Maxim is a good honest company which prides itself in doing the right thing and caring for the sick and elderly.

From Carolinas — 12/03/2009

Maxim has been fair to me. I have been a RN for over 15 years and I have had no negative experiences. They were upfront with pay, benefits, hours, and expectations before I started. I could have made more money working other places but I needed to get away from the daily grind (and drama) of a medical unit. I work with a wonderful family and beautiful child everyday and they weren't able to find any help before Maxim came into their lives. I think they offer much more good then bad.

From CA — 08/12/2009

One other person said this a year or so ago, so I'll just reiterate their post:

Recruiting, whether it's for Maxim or not, is a very demanding profession. If you knew anything about business you'd understand the hiring models, and why the new-grad turnover rate is what it is. Even with great people, professional, smart and hard-working people, the demands of recruiting can be too much.

Get a recruiting position with any other company and tell me when your boss says, "Great job! You're so important!" and, "I really appreciate all the hours you're putting in, showing up early...making us coffee...maybe you should go home early today."

Recruiting is a thankless, sometimes soul-numbing job. In the beginning it's worse than ever, you'll probably daydream about flipping burgers on the bad-days. You'll spend your own money, and you won't make much, to get a foothold on connections and wonder why the heck you're doing it. You're a corporate number, and worth allot less than the 30k-ish you made last year to your AM and RAM...

The new college grads who had what it takes and did well, even flourished, in this environment are going to fly past you on the highway in their Mercedes this weekend because they can't remember if they left the back door unlocked at their lake-house.

Maxim is a decent company, but seriously, it's just another recruiting company. If you join Maxim, bring a big balance bar for the crazy tightrope you're gonna be walking on for about 2 years, and good luck to you.

From Columbia, MD USA — 03/09/2009

Maxim is a solid company, that gives you great expeirence. On the other hand, you deal with disrespectful employees that are a pain in the ass to deal with.