Working at Massage Envy — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Massage Envy pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Massage Envy

From orange county, CA — 04/30/2010

The pay is all right - $9/hr plus commissions. In general I am fairly accepting of this place, although I do find it very frustrating at times because the franchise owners haven't a foggy clue how to run a business or manage their staff in a professional manner. They also tend to obsess over sales numbers and they attribute closing percentages largely to the competence of their sales staff rather than considering numerous uncontrollable factors affecting the business, including location (low resident population area), the type of clients we service (many vacationers and students), etc. Whenever some issue arises they are quick to blame the staff even when it is not our fault. They keep emphasizing "teamwork" while simultaneously setting competitions for highest sales in order to earn bonuses. It is extremely annoying when, for example, the owners set a special bonus for a certain sales number over the weekend, and they tell everyone this while knowing perfectly well that only those people scheduled to work during the weekend even have the chance at it. For the rest of us who work weekdays they're just waggling some unattainable prize in our faces and expecting us to maintain enthusiasm, despite knowing we will never have the chance to win those bonuses no matter how hard we work.

From Buckhead, Atlanta GA — 02/24/2009

The owners at this location are very micro-managing, and that's tough on the employees but the reason that this is the top performing location in Metro Atlanta. The pay is only okay, with not much monetary reward for sales. But if you don't sell, you simply lose your job; the owners are not sentimental. The manager at this location is a bit dense, having got the job because she is the owner's daughter. She has no qualms about making absolute last-minute schedule changes without informing anyone, so you have to call in almost every morning to make sure that you know when you are supposed to be in. The job itself is complicated, requiring a mixture of customer service, sales, maintenance (cleaning), and medical-related administration skills. There isn't any growth or raises in this job, but there is decent health insurance benefits, so overall this is a good stop-over position for someone seeking a little experience but not ready for a full-time career.