Working at Marshalls — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Marshalls pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Marshalls

From New Jersey — 10/03/2010

First i will note the positives of working at Marshalls
The location is good.
They are flexible with what days/hours you can work.
It's really hard to get fired here (they even hired back previously fired people!)
Most of my fellow part-time employees are awesome to work with.
You are allowed 12 absences and 12 lates per year.

Now for the many negatives of working here..
They pay very low, i know it's a discount store but for bragging about how much the company makes a year come on pay us more already! i was hired at 7.25 which is higher than my fellow employees but i already had experience and expected at least 8.
The new policies suck! They don't pay you for certain holidays and your birthday anymore, raises aren't given at your 6 month anniversary, new employees have to wait a year now. part timers can only work a certain number of hours a week, among other things.
Most of the upper management treat their employees like total garbage. All they care about is 'the store' they really don't care about the employees and treat them like expendable machines. I've been treated with utter disrespect numerous times here and after complaints to HR, nothing still has been done about these certain managers. One time i was told to get carts in blizzard like conditions when all i had was a long sleeve dress shirt. after collecting a few and responding to his question that i think i got them all he said " I THINK?! We need all the carts collected! the plows will ruin them! get back out there and finish!" Another time a fellow employee lost her phone and he refused to allow her to look for it, even yelling at her when she was searching the carts for it. he had no empathy for her situation at all. That's just some of the many examples of disrespect by management here. They will even yell at you if you follow a coordinator's instructions before asking them first.
There is no growth here for part-timers. All of the coordinators have been there for years and there is little chance to be promoted, which is now only a 50 cents increase anyway, not worth it!
The lazy customers treat us like crap, totally annihilating the store on a daily basis, expecting us to be their slaves, screaming at us, stealing, ect.
The pricing system is totally flawed. There is no computer database of prices. If a item has no ticket the cashier must page a employee who has to make 3 trips back and forth to get them a similar item to find out the price. Customers know this and purposely rip off tickets or put a clearance sticker from another item onto it to get a better price.
They call you up to help ring register when it's busy, because the employees on the floor are just chilling right? You go all the way up there then end up checking out one customer. They can god damn wait a minute on line, thats why it's called a line! Later the manager will think you are slow as shit on the floor stocking or cleaning when it's not your fault you were interrupted numerous times for price checks, to ring register, take phone calls, ect.
The security is really weak with them barely being there, causing huge shrink for the store.
Two words... CHRISTMAS SEASON...

That's the end of my rant about working here. It's the worst job i've had, i'm just sticking it out until i find a new job. The negatives far outweigh the few positive of working here, beware my friends.

From TX — 09/20/2010

I have been working at Marshalls for 2.5 years. Sigh.

Pay: Marshalls pay is absolutely ridiculous. Minimum wage is of course what they start off at, and getting raises is near impossible for most employees. When I was hired, I was put on at $6.00/hr. Minimum wage went up to 6.25 or so. I did not, for some odd reason, receive this raise. Then, the company began to hire on at $7.00/hr. I did not get this raise either. It took me threatening to quit for the manager at the time to bump me to $7, when the incompetent children they were hiring were getting the same amount.

Respect: I have to say respect is purely based on how well you work. Yes, of course there will be favoritism, I have not worked anywhere that there hasn't been. However, if you are a good worker, management will at least try not to be rude. Unfortunately, since management has no problem becoming personal friends with associates, gossip and supposedly private matters of other employees gets spread quite often. (I've found it easiest to be the one who always listens and has nothing to contribute besides condolences and appropriate head-bobbing.)

Benefits: Mostly suck. Part timers have nothing except the meager 10% discount. However, free layaways are the best I could see. (30 days to pay off any item in the store.) Health insurance is too expensive for fulltimers. However, if you are lucky enough to be full time (as I am) you do get several personal days as well as a week worth of vacation. (I am not sure if it grows over time; I doubt it.)

Security: You have to be masturbating to service desk girls in public to get fired. Or other horrific things. (Get caught blatantly stealing.)

Work/Life Balance: Marshalls is pretty flexible with scheduling provided you give them appropriate time to make the schedule.

Growth: I have to say, it's hard to get into. Department coordinators is the first rung in the ladder, and most positions are usually filled. Even so, raises were knocked from $1.00 to .50 so even getting that promotion is rather insulting. (Much more work for an almost useless raise.) The next step is key carrier. Which is a $1.00 but even harder to reach, especially since most coordinators are eager for more raises and are competitive for the position.

Location: N/A

Competence of Coworkers: HA. High school kids are some of the dumbest people to hire. Especially since almost all of them have never worked a job, or a retail job.

Work Environment: Customers make this place a hell to work in. Terrible associates make the break room empty of any kind of dishes or home-like feel. (Too many items have been stolen in the past. Pathetic.) Its not the best, to say the least.

From New York — 12/03/2009

This is my third year working at Marshalls, and I have to say the company has changed, or at the very least is trying to do so. It is true is really hard to get fired in Marshalls you have to be a no call no show for more than 3 days, steal something or punch a manager or a coworker for that matter. Still is a good place to learn as much as possible of the retail experience, I started in the accessories section, have been in lingerie, stockroom, markdown, cashier and stockroom, which has allow me to learn from every department. I was promoted in my second year. It is true that sadly most customers are rude and open everything they can, which is frustrating. I have made good friends with several coworkers, and I have to say I do like the open door policy.
I have seen my share of managers come and go, mostly because is not easy to work here.
No is not the greatest place to work at, but if you are looking to learn the retail business, and take the opportunity to do so...then is no so bad.

From VA — 11/15/2009

Overall i dont think its that bad of a place..they could pay more