Working at Marriott Hotels — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Marriott Hotels pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Marriott Hotels

From Portland, OR — 06/02/2010

PAY: I have been working for this company for almost three years. I am in one of the top of my department and still have not been able to "climb the ladder." To co-exist with that the pay I receive is 37 cents higher then min wage. This is barley enough for me to even live. I'm always a team player and give my all plus some to anyone who needs it. I am extremely disappointed that all my hard work has seemed to be taken for granted.
RESPECT: I do believe that I have respect from my co-workers and my superiors. They know that if I come to them with a problem I am telling the truth, as well as giving me appointed tasks that require responsibility on my part. I can honestly say that I get along with everyone I work with in all departments, and vice versa. The only ones that seem to have a problem are the ones whose English is not of the highest quality. No one seems to take the time to listen, take them seriously, nor try to communicate with them when they have something to say.
BENEFITS: Seriously? What benefits? Due to the low work hours in the winter those who have benefits get them taken away because they do not meet the hourly requirement in order to keep them. Not to mention the pay is so bad that the benefits one does receives takes a HUGE chunk out of your pay check.
JOB SECURITY: It takes forever to fire someone. The only time you get terminated immediately is if you are stealing. Other then that there are empty threats.
WORK/LIFE BALANCE: This company has been very good to me allowing me to go part time during the school term and full time in the summer. Once I graduated they gave me a full time position. However, the balance between the two is not equal. Some days I would be required to work 9-10 days in a row, and once I got days off they would be split three days apart. You spend long hours and long days in the summer that run you into the ground to the point of death, then having you squeeze every penny you earn in the winter just to be ale to buy bread. I understand that the hotel industry fluctuates, if this is something you can deal with then this is a good company to work for.

CAREER POTENTIAL: Pfffffft okay.
LOCATION: The location is nice really, even though we are an outside property. The housekeepers get to be outside and enjoy the weather. Although they are sympathy when it is raining or really hot outside. It is easy to get to, has easy transport to the local malls and downtown, all in walking distance.
CO-WORKER COMPETENCE: All of the staff is well trained, and scores high on QA and GSS scores. Everyone is really friendly to both guest and each other. (Even with the language barrier)
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment seems to have drama every now and again.
ADDITIONAL NOTES: The department in which I work for has a horrible supervisor who is hardly doing their job. A manager who plays favorite with an employee who does nothing but sits on their butt and gets paid has been told they are up for a promotion. Certain employees can call off and its okay, but others will get written up for the same excuse.