Working at Marion Reservation Center — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Marion Reservation Center pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Marion Reservation Center

From Southern Illinois — 08/31/2008

I haven't worked at the Reservation Center for a long time, but I have learned a lot about how it works, and what I need to do to make it work better for myself. Hyatt owns the reservation center and works very hard to make sure everyone has a good work experience.

The pay is minimum wage, but there is up to a 25% incentive possible just for coming to work and meeting standards. 25%! That is huge! I can make over $4000 just for showing up and doing my job. I've never had that anywhere I've worked before this. Overtime is available a lot of the time, and right now I'll make an extra $3000. a year if the overtime stays where it is.

Everyone gets notified of how much overtime is required evey week or month, and you have a deadline to sign up. If you don't sign up, they do assign it to you. It's just a matter of being responsible and signing up so you get times that work for you.

Job security isn't a problem as long as you come to work and do your job. The work is not hard, and if calls are slow coming in, you are allowed to read the news online. For personal computer use, there are two computers in the building that you can use for just about anything.

Management is good. My supervisor is great - gives me all the updates when I need them and helps me when I have questions. The management staff is friendly and will help you with anything. The open door policy works here, any manager will take time to help you. As with any job, your attitude is what counts. Grumblers and critics won't go far.

The benefits are the best I've had in any job. Good insurance, free hotel rooms every year, a big mug that you can have while you work and free coffee and soda. A break room with microwaves and a huge refrigerator, plus plasma tv with satellite service and access to the remote. The desk chairs cost $1000. each retail, and are very comfortable. Free counseling service if you are having personal problems. And again, the incentive bonus.

Job security is better than most. If you show up and meet expectations, you will keep your job. If you go beyond what is expected, you will get ahead. There is lots of room for advancement if you work hard and prove that you are competent.

The location is good. The interstate is close by, but the parking is not so great - it's hard to find a spot in the afternoons. The building is pretty small for the number of people working, sometimes it's tough to find a seat, but someone will always help you find a spot.

Most everyone will help you if you run into a problem or have questions. It really is a team environment. Everyone is put on a team when they start making reservations, and the teams are pretty small. Part of the incentive bonus is for the team performing well, so it pays to work hard for your team and help others on the team. If there is someone who won't do the work and drags the team down, they can get voted off the team by the other team members. Peer pressure can be a powerful motivator - or not if you don't care.

There are some people who are just here for a paycheck. They goof off instead of working and don't care about quality. Most of us work hard and find those slackers annoying. But, they are getting out of it what they put in. This isn't a place to take up space just to get a paycheck. You won't last long if you don't want to do your job.

Overall, the environment is good. Training is good - you get 4 full weeks, and updates all the time when there are changes. There is a lot to learn and know, but there are lots of resources to help you do your job correctly.

This is a great place to work if you ask me. There isn't another place around here that has what we have. I'm happy and plan to be around here for a very very long time.

From Marion, IL — 08/17/2008

Pay was decent when I started. Minimum wage was 7.50 and I started here making 7.75. Now minimum is 7.75 and I'm still making that. So now I'm making minimum.

There's a decent amound of respect, I suppose. I haven't really had any problems with anyone in particular. There's your average amound of morons who you just wish would drop dead, but that's anywhere.

There are decent benefits. The incentives are my favorite. You get put on a team and if you all do good, you get extra money on your paycheck. I get almost 100 extra every check.

I'm not sure about the job security. Haven't really been here long enough yet to have an opinion about it.

Work/Life balance is not the greatest. When you don't schedule your overtime, they schedule it for you. Most of the time they add an extra 1 to 3 hours onto your 8 hour shift you're arleady working and they don't tell you. You just find out when you get to work.

There seems to be a lot of room to grow with the company. That's what I hear. I haven't had first hand experience with it yet, though.

Location is decent. I just happen to live 30 minutes away because I live way further out than one needs to be.

I like most of my coworkers. The ones I had training with. Most everyone else is decent enough. I just don't like very many people in general.

The work environment is good. I like to just be able to come in and sit wherever I want to (when there are computers available) and surf the web when I have down time. No one's really all up in your business about what you're doing or not doing, which is fine by me.

So, in general, I like working here. A fairly large part of the reason might be because of the FREE COFFEE. It keeps me going and chipper :D ...And I like the incentive and my business lead is really cool. So kudos to Chuck! Now, if I end up quitting or getting fired for any reason, I'll be posting and completely opposite review of this place hehe

From Marion, IL — 04/24/2007

I've been working here for a few months as a Reservations Agent. It's a simple job working in a cube farm taking phone calls for several Hyatt/USFS brands. Calls range from informational enquiries to booking reservations. Nothing too challenging for anyone who can speak into a telephone and has basic computer skills. Experience is entirely unnecessary; just have a customer service oriented demeanour. All training is handled in-house and is approximately three weeks long. Standard eight hour shifts, 30 mins lunch and two 15 mins break. They are very flexible on shift start/end hours, which is ideal for those with children or other responsibilities. Co-workers range in ages with approx. 60/40 female-male ratio on the reservations side. Total workforce is around 150 or so. Generally a friendly and relaxed atmosphere and very low stress. The company has a progressive/positive feel with lots of recent changes on the operational side. Long-term careers are possible for those who can stand the depressingly low pay and are willing to work their way up. Base pay for a Reservations Agent is (currently) $6.75/hr with a shift premium for evenings/overnight. There's also a performance related bonus each pay period which amounts to 10% of gross pay. Calls are randomly monitored and Agents receive scores on adherence to standards. Comfortable work environment including a newly renovated break room with kitchen facilities. Full benefits package available. Biggest drawback is the low pay which leads to a fairly high turnover, which in turn leads to a high amount of inexperienced/borderline incompetent colleagues. This job is most suitable to those who aren't relying on this wage as their primary household income and are able to sit indoors for long periods of time.

From marion, illinois — 03/30/2007

Personally i think we are a great place to work where you are able to work your shift and go home with no worries. Many of my coworkers feel it is low pay yet compated to many other states 6.75 ain't too bad for entry level with the ability to quickly adavance throughout the industry with a company as well known as Hyatt hotels