Working at Marcus Theatres — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Marcus Theatres pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Marcus Theatres

From IL — 09/19/2009

I been in the company for over 5 years now, like working on weekend busiest time, love the perk; free Movies,Popcorn, and drink. pay is not that great but the work environment is cool.

From Oakdale, MN — 01/23/2009

Overall, I enjoyed my time working for Marcus Theatres.

PAY: The pay starts at minimum wage. But the job is soooo easy what do you expect? The assistant managers make CRAP! My husband has worked there for almost 7 years and (5 years as an assistant) and he's only making $10.75/hr.
I worked there 2 years and left as a service specialist (shift lead) & projectionist making $7.75/hr

RESPECT: I only felt disrespected when I quit. I had been up for an assistant manager promotion but was never told that the job was given to someone else. Instead I had to find out by seeing someone elses name on the manager schedule when I went to copy down MY schedule! Otherwise, if you're a good worker you get respect.

BENEFITS: Crap. As long as you work enough hours you do qualify for SOME benefits, but it's a lot of out of pocket pay for not much coverage! We've only used Marcus benefits (medical/dental) while I've been between jobs or have not yet qualified for benefits at a new job.
Getting time off is super easy for the most part though. So that's a definite perk!
FREE MOVIES! Aside from Friday nights-Saturday, free movies as long as you call first and the manager on duty says it's ok.
Company picnic is fun also. Once a year they have a picnic in the back of the theatre.... they have a dunk tank and grill up hotdogs and chicken. It's a lot of fun.

JOB SECURITY: As long as you do your job and have a good attitude you're pretty safe!

WORK/LIFE BALANCE: Pretty good. Theatres ARE open on holidays so you may miss Christmas (especially as a manager!)..... but most other days are easy enough to request off!

CAREER POTENTIAL/GROWTH: Depends. If you are an excellent worker, are good with customers, etc. and there is a need for an assistant manager. It might take 2-3 years, but it can happen. And from an assistant, if a theater manager position opens, there is room to go up. (From 2003-2008 I know of at least 3 assistants from Oakdale who went on to either be associate managers or general managers at other theatres.)

LOCATION: Super convenient location. Near Carmike but SO much better than Carmike! Right off of 694 and hwy 36.

CO-WORKER COMPETENCE: The managers are all fairly competent. The rest of the staff is hit or miss. I don't understand why it takes some people 5 minutes to get a large popcorn and soda and ring it up, but it does!

WORK ENVIRONMENT: This job was soooo much fun! If the pay were higher I would probably still work for this company!